-   -   Debugging symbols for KDE PPA packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/671454-debugging-symbols-kde-ppa-packages.html)

Philip Muskovac 05-26-2012 11:16 PM

Debugging symbols for KDE PPA packages

On Sunday 27 May 2012 00:08:23 Philip Muskovac wrote:

> While we packaged the git splitup in KDE, we decided that providing -dbg

> packages for a few packages wouldn't be worth it. Now, while that (probably)

> makes sense for stable releases, I don't believe it makes any sense for

> BETA packages. And I have at least [1] open bug report about missing

> debugging symbols in the PPA's. So if we want to provide 4.9 packages in

> the beta ppa for precise, we need a solution.

> This is what I believe we could do:

> A) Force generation of -dbgsym packages by patching pkg-create-dbgsym

> and pkgbinarymangler. I haven't quite figured that out yet though.

> B) Just add the missing -dbg packages.

add

C) make pkg-kde-tool somehow add a -dbg package when it sees that none exists yet. I have no idea how long that would take to implement.

*

Philip

*

Scott Kitterman 05-27-2012 01:39 AM

Philip Muskovac <yofel@gmx.net> wrote:

>While we packaged the git splitup in KDE, we decided that providing
>-dbg
>packages for a few packages wouldn't be worth it. Now, while that
>(probably)
>makes sense for stable releases, I don't believe it makes any sense for
>BETA
>packages. And I have at least [1] open bug report about missing
>debugging
>symbols in the PPA's. So if we want to provide 4.9 packages in the beta
>ppa
>for precise, we need a solution.
>
>This is what I believe we could do:
>A) Force generation of -dbgsym packages by patching
>pkg-create-dbgsym
> and pkgbinarymangler. I haven't quite figured that out yet though.
>
>B) Just add the missing -dbg packages.
>
>My problem with A is that it requires additional PPA space, even if we
>improve
>the compression because many packages would have their debugging
>symbols
>twice.
>B is more work, and would cause a larger diff for all affected
>packages.
>
>Does someone else have another idea how this could be done? Otherwise
>we could
>have a vote what to use in the end. (BEFORE we backport 4.8.80 to
>precise if
>possible)
>
>Philip
>
>[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/935905

Debian will eventually have to add the dbg packages, even if we don't, so it's not wasted work. I'd suggest B on that basis since it's more broadly useful. I don't think getting more PPA space will be a problem.

Scott K