-   -   Debugging symbols for KDE PPA packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/671440-debugging-symbols-kde-ppa-packages.html)

Philip Muskovac 05-26-2012 10:08 PM

Debugging symbols for KDE PPA packages

While we packaged the git splitup in KDE, we decided that providing -dbg
packages for a few packages wouldn't be worth it. Now, while that (probably)
makes sense for stable releases, I don't believe it makes any sense for BETA
packages. And I have at least [1] open bug report about missing debugging
symbols in the PPA's. So if we want to provide 4.9 packages in the beta ppa
for precise, we need a solution.

This is what I believe we could do:
A) Force generation of -dbgsym packages by patching pkg-create-dbgsym
and pkgbinarymangler. I haven't quite figured that out yet though.

B) Just add the missing -dbg packages.

My problem with A is that it requires additional PPA space, even if we improve
the compression because many packages would have their debugging symbols
twice.
B is more work, and would cause a larger diff for all affected packages.

Does someone else have another idea how this could be done? Otherwise we could
have a vote what to use in the end. (BEFORE we backport 4.8.80 to precise if
possible)

Philip

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/935905