Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Félim Whiteley

Default 12.04 LTS Released

Hi Valter/Scott,

I had the same issue this morning, I never got the notifications (I am running
exact PPA as you except it's 64bit).
> Try:
>
> $ kdesudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f kde
>
> If that doesn't get the upgrader started, then try it again with -d on the
> end. If it starts, you'll be at step 6 of the upgrade instructions:

I tried that already and it hadn't worked either, told me I was fully up to
date. I then modified my mirror which was set to "Server In Ireland" to one I
knew was active the heanet servers. This then seemed to work, right up until
this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/991083

Annoyingly I saw this before and it went away, I should have logged one back
then... although it was on the PPA and I just assumed someone was in middle of
packaging and had made a mistake. So unless it's jsut me...

Félim

Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Valter Mura

2012/4/29 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 09:40:24 AM Valter Mura wrote:

> Il 28/04/2012 21:01, Scott Kitterman ha scritto:

> >> Hi Jonathan,

> >> is there a reason why my (old) system doesn't warn me to upgrade both

> >> from Muon and APT?

> >> PIV 2.8 Ghz

> >> Oneiric 11.10 updated / KDE 4.8.2 / 32bit

> > If you have all the updates installed, you need to log out and log in to

> > restart your KDE session and there needs to be a network present when you

> > log in to get the notification. *If you still don't get it, you can start

> > the upgrade process manually.

> Hi Scott, thanks for your time.

> I've already updated my system, I take it constantly updated.

> Could give me a way to update it manually? The update from command line

> (apt) doesn't work, that is, "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" returns nothing.

> I'm suspecting there's something with the repository or some string to

> add in "Other software".

> The program fetches from the "Main" server, so everything should be ok.

> TIA, regards,

Try:

$ kdesudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f kde

If that doesn't get the upgrader started, then try it again with -d on the

end. *If it starts, you'll be at step 6 of the upgrade instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu

and you can follow along from there.

Nothing of nothing. This is a very strange think and the first time it occurs to me...

Ciao
--

Valter

*Open Source is better!*

KDE: www.kde.org

Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org

LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Alessandro Menti

Il 30/04/2012 00:56, Valter Mura ha scritto:
> 2012/4/29 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>

>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu#Known_Issu

>> you
>> start
>>>
>>> Hi Scott, thanks for your time.
>>>
>>> I've already updated my system, I take it constantly updated.
>>>
>>> Could give me a way to update it manually? The update from command line
>>> (apt) doesn't work, that is, "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" returns nothing.
>>> I'm suspecting there's something with the repository or some string to
>>> add in "Other software".
>>> The program fetches from the "Main" server, so everything should be ok.
>>>
>>> TIA, regards,
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> $ kdesudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f kde
>>
>> If that doesn't get the upgrader started, then try it again with -d on the
>> end. If it starts, you'll be at step 6 of the upgrade instructions:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu
>>
>> and you can follow along from there.
>>

> Nothing of nothing. This is a very strange think and the first time it
> occurs to me...
>

> Ciao

Hello Valter (and anyone else),
I was in your same situation, as one of my systems correctly recognized
that Precise was released, while another one not. After some quick
research, I think I've found the issue.

Due to bug #944876 ([1]), which has just been fixed, if you have asked
KDE to prompt you to upgrade on regular distribution releases, it checks
only for new LTS releases instead. As the "meta-release-lts" file on the
Ubuntu site (used by the Update Manager to check for LTS upgrades, [2])
does not mention Precise yet (it will do only when the first point
release of Precise is out, see bug #989334 at [3]), the Update Manager
will act as if there was no distribution upgrade available.

Changing the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file manually did the
trick for me - try doing it, or install the new update-manager package
for Oneiric (it should be propagating across the mirrors right now, so
it should show up in a few hours or a day at most), then check that the
Distribution upgrade setting in the KDE System Settings application is
correct and proceed.

Ciao,
Alessandro Menti

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-properties/+bug/944876
[2] http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-lts
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/989334
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 AM
pansz

If you simply want a pure text-mode upgrade. try use the following in Konsole:

sudo do-release-upgrade

This will create a screen session and upgrade the system, which is not
the official recommended way of kubuntu team.

But it works great for me since kubuntu 8.04, i.e. I'd been using this
for 8 times (8.04->8.10, 8.10->9.04 and so on...) and it always give
me great result.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Valter Mura

[...]

Hi Alessandro and All in the list,

thank you All for your good info and links, now I resolved the issue,
simply reading the bug opened in Launchpad and changing the "type" of
the release in Muon (from LTS to Normal). Surely something has been
corrected in the meanwhile...

What I would like to know is is now I can "change" again my
software-properties settings for the repositories from "Normal" to "LTS".

Thanks again.

Ciao

Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Georgi Kourtev

> Hi Alessandro and All in the list,
>
> thank you All for your good info and links, now I resolved the issue,
> simply reading the bug opened in Launchpad and changing the "type" of
> the release in Muon (from LTS to Normal). Surely something has been
> corrected in the meanwhile...
>
> What I would like to know is is now I can "change" again my
> software-properties settings for the repositories from "Normal" to "LTS".
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Ciao

When you open MUON's CONFIGURE SOFTWARE SOURCES, then click the tab UPDATES.
At the bottom you can make the selection between normal releases and LTS
releases.
gk

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Alessandro Menti

Il 04/05/2012 10:14, Valter Mura ha scritto:
> Il 30/04/2012 16:22, Alessandro Menti ha scritto:
>
>> I was in your same situation, as one of my systems correctly recognized
>> that Precise was released, while another one not. After some quick
>> research, I think I've found the issue.
>>
>> Due to bug #944876 ([1]), which has just been fixed, if you have asked
>> KDE to prompt you to upgrade on regular distribution releases, it checks
>> only for new LTS releases instead. As the "meta-release-lts" file on the
>> Ubuntu site (used by the Update Manager to check for LTS upgrades, [2])
>> does not mention Precise yet (it will do only when the first point
>> release of Precise is out, see bug #989334 at [3]), the Update Manager
>> will act as if there was no distribution upgrade available.
>>
>> Changing the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file manually did the
>> trick for me - try doing it, or install the new update-manager package
>> for Oneiric (it should be propagating across the mirrors right now, so
>> it should show up in a few hours or a day at most), then check that the
>> Distribution upgrade setting in the KDE System Settings application is
>> correct and proceed.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Alessandro Menti
>>
>> [1]
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-properties/+bug/944876
>> [2] http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-lts
>> [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/989334
>
> Hi Alessandro and All in the list,
>
> thank you All for your good info and links, now I resolved the issue,
> simply reading the bug opened in Launchpad and changing the "type" of
> the release in Muon (from LTS to Normal). Surely something has been
> corrected in the meanwhile...
>
> What I would like to know is is now I can "change" again my
> software-properties settings for the repositories from "Normal" to "LTS".
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Ciao
Bug #944876 shows the fix has been committed to Precise too, thus there
should be no problems changing the setting back.

Ciao,
Alessandro Menti