Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Jussi Schultink

Default KDE Telepathy or Kopete

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2012 09:37:04 AM Jussi Schultink wrote:
>> Have we considered (correct me if I am wrong) that with KTP we can add
>> newer versions with bugfixes to 12.04.1 etc if it is already there?
>> Kopete will cause lots of support work (because its unmaintained, we
>> have to write fixes for security bugs, we have to provide updates
>> etc), and we can have it as an installable alternative for those
>> people with a use case for the bits KTP does not provide.
>>
>> Jussi
>
> Since KTP is under rapid feature development, there aren't going to be bug fix
> updates to use for KTP. *What we have in Precise will rapidly diverge from
> what the KTP devs are working on. *So, while KTP is maintained, the versions
> we will have in Precise won't be.
>
> OTOH, lots of distros use Kopete, so we won't be on our own. *Also KDE is
> still supporting Kopete (in limited terms) so we can, at least for some
> indeterminate time, expect upstream security fixes that can more or less be
> easily backported to Precise.
>
> It's kind of backwards, but because no new feature development work is being
> done in Kopete, we've got a better chance of being able to backport changes
> from future releases.

Sounds fairly sane reasons why we would go for Kopete. +1 from me then.

Jussi

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Rohan Garg

Hi
I completely agree with Scott's point, the KTP code base is constantly
evolving and it's going to be harder to backport fixes for 0.3, I'd
vote to keep kopete, keep a close eye on kopete security issues and
maybe add a line about testing KTP in the release notes?

Best
Rohan Garg

Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Felix Geyer

On 30.03.2012 11:57, Rohan Garg wrote:
> Hi
> I completely agree with Scott's point, the KTP code base is constantly
> evolving and it's going to be harder to backport fixes for 0.3, I'd
> vote to keep kopete, keep a close eye on kopete security issues and
> maybe add a line about testing KTP in the release notes?
>
> Best
> Rohan Garg

Same here. I'm in favor of keeping kopete for precise and then switching
to KTP at the beginning of the next cycle.

Felix

Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Pali Rohár

Why was kopete-gcall package which provide support for googletalk
audio calls for kopete removed from repositories?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com--

Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Harald Sitter

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why was kopete-gcall package which provide support for googletalk
> audio calls for kopete removed from repositories?

Sorry but that is completely off topic right now.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 05:29:57 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
> Lo'
>
> As we do not agree on whether we agree on a decision I'd like everyone
> to cast a vote in favor of KTP or Kopete as default for 12.04. The
> relevant discussion can be found at [1].
After several days of discussions and a lot of good inputs, here's where I
think the Kubuntu Council positions stand (for 12.04):

Christian Mangold - No vote
David Wonderly - Kopete
Harald Sitter - Kopete
Jonathan Riddell - KDE Telepathy
Jonathan Thomas - Kopete
Scott Kitterman - Kopete

Based on this, I think we've picked Kopete as the default (KDE telepathy will
still be in the archive and available). I would appreciate it if someone
would double check me on this, so we can get it changed as soon as possible
(assuming I got it right).

Scott K

Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 AM
David Edmundson

From a developer POV I'm obviously a bit sad, but from a Kubuntu POV I
think you've made the right decision.

We're tagging 0.3.1 this Sunday, it would be good if we can get that
in the archive before release. It's purely just miscellaneous minor
fixes.

Even if we're not the default client, if there's anything we can do or
you feel you need (either for this release or for 12.10) please don't
hesitate to give us a poke (ideally on our ML or B.K.O rather than
here)

0.4[1] will definitely be out before the beta phase of precise+1,
0.5 should also be out given our current release rates but we haven't
decided what will be in that so it's hard to say.

Dave

[1] http://www.sharpley.org.uk/blog/kde-telepathy-in-0-4

P.S
Same for LightDM-KDE.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Jonathan Riddell

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:55:21PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Based on this, I think we've picked Kopete as the default

I stand defeated, please change the seeds and ask me to demote the packages.

Jonathan

Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:17:56 AM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:55:21PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Based on this, I think we've picked Kopete as the default
>
> I stand defeated, please change the seeds and ask me to demote the packages.

Seeds updated. I'll upload a new kubuntu-meta once the branch updates.

Scott K

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 05:30:12 AM David Edmundson wrote:
> We're tagging 0.3.1 this Sunday, it would be good if we can get that
> in the archive before release. It's purely just miscellaneous minor
> fixes.

This should definitely be doable.

Scott K