Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Giuseppe Pennisi

Default KDE Telepathy or Kopete

KTP: buggy, upstream, maintained, no IM integration, easy to configure
and connect.

Kopete: buggy, no upstream, unmaintained, IM integration, not always
simple to configure and connect, advanced option.

KTP is buggy because is very young, Kopete is buggy because is unmaintained.

What is better, IM integration and advanced configuration with a buggy
and unmaintained client or no IM integration and essential
configuration with a buggy but maintained client?

About IM integration:
I not understand yet what is it.
IM have sense if it can reduce the icons in the systray wrapping some
icons of "social and instant message" applications in a single icon.
i.e.: when I start Choqok the icon is displayed both in systray and in
IM applet, this is a no sense.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Jonathan Thomas

Hello,

After careful consideration of the points mentioned here, I'd like to
cast my +1 behind keeping Kopete for the LTS. I don't have anything in
particular to contribute to the discussion, though, since most
everything has been said at this point. :P

Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM, David Wonderly
<david.wonderly@kubuntu.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 08:44:15 AM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 05:29:57PM +0200, Harald Sitter wrote:
>> > KTP
>>
>> +1 from me for KTP. *I rarely found myself using Kopete and find myself
>> running kde-telepathy all the time, mostly because it's easy to use with
>> gtalk and facebook.
>>
>> But I'm happy enough to be voted down by kubuntu-council on that,
> advantages
>> either way.
>>
>> Jonathan
>
> While I see the benifits of having one over the other, the question should be
> what one are we willing to support for the next 5 years? This is an LTS
> release and if Kopete is going to dissipear in the next 5 years and be fully
> replaced by KPT then I would think that KPT would be the way to go.
>
> So, if KPT is being maintained and has developers and Kopete doesn't, I think
> for a support view KPT would be the way to go. Either one has pros and cons.

Is that a vote in favor of KTP?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Harald Sitter

FWIW, I am voting for Kopete for LTS, also we can market KTP as key
feature of 12.10 thus drawing more testing and making it rock for
12.10. Also jumping too quick onto new stuff has traditional caused
bad press, so I'd very much like to avoid this for a LTS release.

HS

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Jonathan Kolberg

Am Freitag, 30. März 2012, 01:20:15 schrieb Harald Sitter:
> FWIW, I am voting for Kopete for LTS, also we can market KTP as key
> feature of 12.10 thus drawing more testing and making it rock for
> 12.10. Also jumping too quick onto new stuff has traditional caused
> bad press, so I'd very much like to avoid this for a LTS release.
Maybe we could tell people that KTP is new and they can test it, because we
plan to use it in 12.10, so they can prepare for it.

Regards Jonathan--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Little Girl

Hey there,

I'm going to vote for neither, in the hopes that a stable piece of
software can be in place instead, since it's an LTS. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Clay Weber

On Friday, March 30, 2012 01:20:15 AM Harald Sitter wrote:
> FWIW, I am voting for Kopete for LTS, also we can market KTP as key
> feature of 12.10 thus drawing more testing and making it rock for
> 12.10. Also jumping too quick onto new stuff has traditional caused
> bad press, so I'd very much like to avoid this for a LTS release.
>
> HS

This, and only this, is the reason I am voting for Kopete over KTP.
We can wait for 12.10, there is no rush.

--
clay

Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 AM
David Wonderly

On Friday, March 30, 2012 01:18:22 AM Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM, David Wonderly
>
> <david.wonderly@kubuntu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> +1 from me for KTP. I rarely found myself using Kopete and find myself
> >> running kde-telepathy all the time, mostly because it's easy to use with
> >> gtalk and facebook.
> >>
> >> But I'm happy enough to be voted down by kubuntu-council on that,
> >
> > advantages
> >
> >> either way.
> >>
> >> Jonathan
> >
> > While I see the benifits of having one over the other, the question should
> > be what one are we willing to support for the next 5 years? This is an
> > LTS release and if Kopete is going to dissipear in the next 5 years and
> > be fully replaced by KPT then I would think that KPT would be the way to
> > go.
> >
> > So, if KPT is being maintained and has developers and Kopete doesn't, I
> > think for a support view KPT would be the way to go. Either one has pros
> > and cons.
> Is that a vote in favor of KTP?

I'm +1 for Kopete on LTS with us phasing toward KPT. (I can't change the Docs
:P)

Cheers!

David

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Jussi Schultink

Hi all,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM, David Wonderly
<david.wonderly@kubuntu.org> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2012 01:18:22 AM Harald Sitter wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM, David Wonderly
>>
>> <david.wonderly@kubuntu.org> wrote:

>> > advantages

>> > While I see the benifits of having one over the other, the question should
>> > be what one are we willing to support for the next 5 years? This is an
>> > LTS release and if Kopete is going to dissipear in the next 5 years and
>> > be fully replaced by KPT then I would think that KPT would be the way to
>> > go.
>> >
>> > So, if KPT is being maintained and has developers and Kopete doesn't, I
>> > think for a support view KPT would be the way to go. Either one has pros
>> > and cons.
>> Is that a vote in favor of KTP?
>
> I'm +1 for Kopete on LTS with us phasing toward KPT. (I can't change the Docs
> :P)

Have we considered (correct me if I am wrong) that with KTP we can add
newer versions with bugfixes to 12.04.1 etc if it is already there?
Kopete will cause lots of support work (because its unmaintained, we
have to write fixes for security bugs, we have to provide updates
etc), and we can have it as an installable alternative for those
people with a use case for the bits KTP does not provide.

Jussi

Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday, March 30, 2012 09:37:04 AM Jussi Schultink wrote:
> Have we considered (correct me if I am wrong) that with KTP we can add
> newer versions with bugfixes to 12.04.1 etc if it is already there?
> Kopete will cause lots of support work (because its unmaintained, we
> have to write fixes for security bugs, we have to provide updates
> etc), and we can have it as an installable alternative for those
> people with a use case for the bits KTP does not provide.
>
> Jussi

Since KTP is under rapid feature development, there aren't going to be bug fix
updates to use for KTP. What we have in Precise will rapidly diverge from
what the KTP devs are working on. So, while KTP is maintained, the versions
we will have in Precise won't be.

OTOH, lots of distros use Kopete, so we won't be on our own. Also KDE is
still supporting Kopete (in limited terms) so we can, at least for some
indeterminate time, expect upstream security fixes that can more or less be
easily backported to Precise.

It's kind of backwards, but because no new feature development work is being
done in Kopete, we've got a better chance of being able to backport changes
from future releases.

Scott K