-   -   KDE Telepathy or Kopete (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/649463-kde-telepathy-kopete.html)

Harald Sitter 03-27-2012 03:29 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

Lo'

As we do not agree on whether we agree on a decision I'd like everyone
to cast a vote in favor of KTP or Kopete as default for 12.04. The
relevant discussion can be found at [1].

A quick list out of the top of my head (by no means complete, so
please consult the discussion thread if unsure):

KTP
pro: maintained, good upstream relations, more reliable (?)
con: lacks some features, no integration with message indicator (!),
issues are not well known due to limited volume of deployments

Kopete
pro: well known issues, supports (most of the) features KTP does not
con: well known issues, (pretty much) unmaintained

Course of action when in favor of KTP: Kopete off CD and removal from
kickoff favorites.
Course of action when in favor of Kopete: KTP still in archive and
easily installable + PPA packages of upcoming new versions + public
call for testing of both. Target for KTP integration would be 12.10.

[1] search for telepathy:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2012-February/thread.html

HS

Alex Fiestas 03-27-2012 03:47 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

If we decide to ship ktp, then we should release 0.4 and provide updates some
how to 0.5 since afaik ktp development team haven't release any minor release
ever (maybe they start doing so in 0.4).

Harald Sitter 03-27-2012 03:55 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

Considering 0.5 will probably bring new features that sounds somewhat
dangerous TBH. There is a good reason for stable release updating only
selected bugfixes.

HS

Dave Morley 03-27-2012 04:00 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

David Edmundson 03-27-2012 04:19 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

We have a 0.3 all branched up, with loads of changes ready for a
0.3.1. Just no-ones got round to updating the version number and
rolling tarballs.

0.3 is feature lacking in several respects to Kopete. Especially wrt
chat logs and metacontacts.

We need all these bug reports, and testing phases before we can
release publicly. In fact you guys pushing it in your betas I think
has helped as we've had a spike in wishlists/a few bugs after you
started making it available. Being available in the repos for 6 months
will really help us get something really good for 12.10 and not only
will be near feature compatibility you'll have plenty of reasons of
why KTp is better than Kopete (current master has working video calls
to gmail for example)

Personally I'd rather you kept Kopete for now /but/ I can see why you
don't want to maintain Kopete backends for another 3 years.

Dave - KDE Telepathy Lead.

Alex Fiestas 03-27-2012 04:27 PM

KDE Telepathy or Kopete

On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 05:19:15 PM David Edmundson wrote:
> We have a 0.3 all branched up, with loads of changes ready for a
> 0.3.1. Just no-ones got round to updating the version number and
> rolling tarballs.

Awesome! then maybe we can ship with 0.4 and update bugs with stable releases?

That will give us:
-Support (kopete has none now)
-Featured Ktp
-Prepare for the future :33

Is there any way of migrating accounts from kopete to ktp?