-   -   packaging ksecrets (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/647208-packaging-ksecrets.html)

Jonathan Riddell 03-21-2012 11:16 AM

packaging ksecrets

Hi, we're packaging ksecrets for Kubuntu.

Some questions:
Do you expect KDE applications to start porting?

When an application gets ported will we as a distro have to handle migration of the kwallet data to secret?

What is a good application to test this with?

I have tested it with ubuntuone-control-panel-qt which gives an error
"No such method 'ReadAlias' in interface 'org.freedesktop.Secret.Service' at"

There are a bunch of test failures during package build e.g.:

The following tests FAILED:
1 - KSecretsServiceClientAPITest (Failed)
2 - NoUiManagerTest (Failed)
5 - KSecretCollectionUiTest (Failed)
7 - FrontendSessionTest (OTHER_FAULT)
8 - KSecretSyncProtocolTest (Failed)
Start 8: KSecretSyncProtocolTest
8/8 Test #8: KSecretSyncProtocolTest ..........***Failed 0.03 sec
********* Start testing of ProtocolTest *********
Config: Using QTest library 4.8.0, Qt 4.8.0
PASS : ProtocolTest::initTestCase()
FAIL! : ProtocolTest::testProtocol() 'server->handleRequest( request, response )' returned FALSE. ()
Loc: [/home/jr/src/ksecret/ksecrets-4.8.1/secretsync/tests/protocoltest.cpp(57)]
PASS : ProtocolTest::cleanupTestCase()
Totals: 2 passed, 1 failed, 0 skipped
********* Finished testing of ProtocolTest *********

Jonathan

Alex Fiestas 03-21-2012 11:53 AM

packaging ksecrets

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:16:39 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Hi, we're packaging ksecrets for Kubuntu.
>
> Some questions:
> Do you expect KDE applications to start porting?
Nope, most application will continue using the KWallet API that KSecret
provides.

> When an application gets ported will we as a distro have to handle migration
> of the kwallet data to secret?
No idea, Valentin Rusu can answer that.

> What is a good application to test this with?
>
> I have tested it with ubuntuone-control-panel-qt which gives an error
> "No such method 'ReadAlias' in interface 'org.freedesktop.Secret.Service'
> at"
>
> There are a bunch of test failures during package build e.g.:
>
> The following tests FAILED:
> 1 - KSecretsServiceClientAPITest (Failed)
> 2 - NoUiManagerTest (Failed)
> 5 - KSecretCollectionUiTest (Failed)
> 7 - FrontendSessionTest (OTHER_FAULT)
> 8 - KSecretSyncProtocolTest (Failed)
> Start 8: KSecretSyncProtocolTest
> 8/8 Test #8: KSecretSyncProtocolTest ..........***Failed 0.03 sec
> ********* Start testing of ProtocolTest *********
> Config: Using QTest library 4.8.0, Qt 4.8.0
> PASS : ProtocolTest::initTestCase()
> FAIL! : ProtocolTest::testProtocol() 'server->handleRequest( request,
> response )' returned FALSE. () Loc:
> [/home/jr/src/ksecret/ksecrets-4.8.1/secretsync/tests/protocoltest.cpp(57)]
> PASS : ProtocolTest::cleanupTestCase()
> Totals: 2 passed, 1 failed, 0 skipped
> ********* Finished testing of ProtocolTest *********

I few days ago I was thinking what's been going on with KSecret, haven't heard
from it for a few months now and I'd really like to see movement in this area
since in theory it will fix a few things KWallet can't do now (or can't do
without big hacks).

- Open the Wallet on login
- Manage certificates

Also, I'm not sure if GNOME is still thinking on providing a secret interface
:/

/me sends an email to kde-core-devel asking for this.

Jonathan Riddell 03-21-2012 12:10 PM

packaging ksecrets

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 01:53:57PM +0100, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Nope, most application will continue using the KWallet API that KSecret
> provides.

Does it? I have both /usr/bin/kwalletd and /usr/bin/ksecretsserviced
running just now and org.kde.kwalletd is from kwalletd and
org.kde.ksecretsservice and org.freedesktop.secrets are from
ksecretsserviced.

> Also, I'm not sure if GNOME is still thinking on providing a secret interface

Yes Gnome Keyring provides the dbus interface as one of its plugins.

Jonathan

Alex Fiestas 03-21-2012 12:21 PM

packaging ksecrets

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 01:10:04 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 01:53:57PM +0100, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > Nope, most application will continue using the KWallet API that KSecret
> > provides.
>
> Does it? I have both /usr/bin/kwalletd and /usr/bin/ksecretsserviced
> running just now and org.kde.kwalletd is from kwalletd and
> org.kde.ksecretsservice and org.freedesktop.secrets are from
> ksecretsserviced.

The compatibility is done in the library (C++) not in dbus, so afaik
KSecretService provides a compatibility API with wallet, though I may be
wrong.

Jonathan Riddell 03-21-2012 12:29 PM

packaging ksecrets

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 02:21:29PM +0100, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> The compatibility is done in the library (C++) not in dbus, so afaik
> KSecretService provides a compatibility API with wallet, though I may be
> wrong.

Hmm nothing about that in the .h files

Jonathan