Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Philip Muskovac

Default Akonadi backends (was work item style)

Am 28.02.2012 10:57, schrieb Jonathan Riddell:

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:27:44AM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:

[kubuntu-members] Ask upstream KDE PIM on their recommendation of
mysql vs sqlite, change our defaults accordingly

This comes from Kolab Sys going to trade shows and saying "if you have
problems with akonadi and mysql that's because they haven't chosen
sqlite". It's nonsense as I and you have discovered so we'll stick
with mysql.

About that. Looking at bug 923189 [1] (and other reports) our current
backend management isn't really great. Currently akonadi-server depends
on one backend, suggests all, and apt will happily switch backends
around if the installed one has dep-issues (in this case the mysql
transition in precise). Would it help to recommend mysql? Or hard-depend

on it if that's the only one really supported by upstream?

Philip

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/923189

Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Harald Sitter

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Philip Muskovac <yofel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 28.02.2012 10:57, schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:27:44AM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
>

>>> [kubuntu-members] Ask upstream KDE PIM on their recommendation of
>>> mysql vs sqlite, change our defaults accordingly
>>

>> This comes from Kolab Sys going to trade shows and saying "if you have
>> problems with akonadi and mysql that's because they haven't chosen
>> sqlite". *It's nonsense as I and you have discovered so we'll stick
>> with mysql.
>

> About that. Looking at bug 923189 [1] (and other reports) our current
> backend management isn't really great. Currently akonadi-server depends on
> one backend, suggests all, and apt will happily switch backends around if
> the installed one has dep-issues (in this case the mysql transition in
> precise). Would it help to recommend mysql? Or hard-depend
> on it if that's the only one really supported by upstream?

For the time being I'd simply hard dep, but report a bug about it, so
we don't forget about it. Last I heared sqlite was supported by
upstream, but given the limitations of sqlite as such it only makes
sense on systems with limited capabilities (that is: mobile phones and
tablets, so for active we need some solution anyway, as the desktop
would have to default to mysql and active stuff to sqlite).

HS