-   -   kde telepathy? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/632415-kde-telepathy.html)

Jonathan Riddell 02-13-2012 04:40 PM

kde telepathy?

Rohan and friends have got kde-telepathy to a place where it's ready to be uploaded which I'm doing now.

We need testers to decide if it's better or worse than kopete.
kde-telepathy is new and not well tested. kopete is old and
unmaintained. We have to decide by feature freeze on thursday.

Testers add this PPA
https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa

and install kde-telepathy and run "contacts" from k-menu or alt-f2.

Jonathan

Clay Weber 02-13-2012 05:47 PM

kde telepathy?

On Monday, February 13, 2012 05:40:31 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Rohan and friends have got kde-telepathy to a place where it's ready to be
> uploaded which I'm doing now.
>
> We need testers to decide if it's better or worse than kopete.
> kde-telepathy is new and not well tested. kopete is old and
> unmaintained. We have to decide by feature freeze on thursday.
>
> Testers add this PPA
> https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa
>
> and install kde-telepathy and run "contacts" from k-menu or alt-f2.
>
> Jonathan
It is actually quite good, imo, but potential caveats:
The Instant Messaging Presence widget- should this be added to the systray on
install? Closing the Contact list does give a warning about staying online or
to go offline, but there is no systray icon or panel entry once you close it.

Some other small UI things here and there in a similar vein, plus the obvious
lack of features as compared to kopete.

Overall it is good, and even has a basic irc plugin available!
I will use it myself as my day-to-day im client.

However, as an lts, how does updating telepathy-kde work, would we be able to
add a new, better version as necessary, or are we stuck with 0.3 for the life
of the release? If the latter, then I would vote for Kopete I think.

Take all the above into account from me realizing that I have not yet used 0.3
for any chats as of yet, so that part is as of yet untested.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Pali Rohár 02-13-2012 05:53 PM

kde telepathy?

On Monday 13 February 2012 13:47:41 Clay Weber wrote:
> On Monday, February 13, 2012 05:40:31 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Rohan and friends have got kde-telepathy to a place where it's ready to be
> > uploaded which I'm doing now.
> >
> > We need testers to decide if it's better or worse than kopete.
> > kde-telepathy is new and not well tested. kopete is old and
> > unmaintained. We have to decide by feature freeze on thursday.
> >
> > Testers add this PPA
> > https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa
> >
> > and install kde-telepathy and run "contacts" from k-menu or alt-f2.
> >
> > Jonathan
>
> It is actually quite good, imo, but potential caveats:
> The Instant Messaging Presence widget- should this be added to the systray
> on install? Closing the Contact list does give a warning about staying
> online or to go offline, but there is no systray icon or panel entry once
> you close it.
>
> Some other small UI things here and there in a similar vein, plus the
> obvious lack of features as compared to kopete.
>
> Overall it is good, and even has a basic irc plugin available!
> I will use it myself as my day-to-day im client.
>
> However, as an lts, how does updating telepathy-kde work, would we be able
> to add a new, better version as necessary, or are we stuck with 0.3 for the
> life of the release? If the latter, then I would vote for Kopete I think.
>
> Take all the above into account from me realizing that I have not yet used
> 0.3 for any chats as of yet, so that part is as of yet untested.

Hi, I think that LTS version should have stable IM client. Kopete is old but
more stable and tested.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com--

Jonathan Riddell 02-13-2012 06:00 PM

kde telepathy?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:53:05PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hi, I think that LTS version should have stable IM client. Kopete is old but
> more stable and tested.

What makes you think it is more stable?

There are many problems and bugs with Kopete not least it doesn't work for modern IM uses like GTalk, Facebook, Bonjour.

Kopete is unmaintained so it's problems won't go away, KDE Telepathy is and has active upstreams so we can poke them at problems we find.

Currently I'm minded to put kde-telepathy on the CD before feature freeze with the option to take it out if we find major problems before releasae.

Jonathan

Félim Whiteley 02-13-2012 06:15 PM

kde telepathy?

Hi Jonathan,

I've just given it a shot and I get "Internal Componet Error" trying to talk
to GTalk. I've made sure it's not a password issue.

Any steps you want me to do to debug it?

Félim

PS: If it can be made to work I'd lvoe to see the back of kopete... barely
works :-(

Pali Rohár 02-13-2012 06:18 PM

kde telepathy?

On Monday 13 February 2012 19:00:56 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:53:05PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hi, I think that LTS version should have stable IM client. Kopete is old
> > but more stable and tested.
>
> What makes you think it is more stable?
>
> There are many problems and bugs with Kopete not least it doesn't work for
> modern IM uses like GTalk, Facebook, Bonjour.
>
> Kopete is unmaintained so it's problems won't go away, KDE Telepathy is and
> has active upstreams so we can poke them at problems we find.
>
> Currently I'm minded to put kde-telepathy on the CD before feature freeze
> with the option to take it out if we find major problems before releasae.
>
> Jonathan

Ok. If you think that kde-telepathy is good IM client and upstream (or
kubuntu) developers will fix future bugs for Kubuntu LTS version, include it.
The only problem I see that new project could release new versions more
frequently and include new features, which is not good for LTS.

And about Kopete:

Seems that Kopete is now really dead.

On KDE reviewboard are more patches for kopete. I asked for testing &
including patches to KDE trunk, but my last email (on kopete mailinglist) is
without response...

So if new project kde-telepathy works without problem, go ahead and include it
to Kubuntu CD!

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com--

Pali Rohár 02-13-2012 06:20 PM

kde telepathy?

On Monday 13 February 2012 19:15:11 Félim Whiteley wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I've just given it a shot and I get "Internal Componet Error" trying to talk
> to GTalk. I've made sure it's not a password issue.
>
> Any steps you want me to do to debug it?
>
> Félim
>
> PS: If it can be made to work I'd lvoe to see the back of kopete... barely
> works :-(

Do you have correct settings for GTalk in Kopete? This is the hardest part of
configuring GTalk Jabber account... New users without WIKI/google/... are not
able to configure it!

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com--

Scott Kitterman 02-13-2012 06:20 PM

kde telepathy?

On Monday, February 13, 2012 07:00:56 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:53:05PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hi, I think that LTS version should have stable IM client. Kopete is old
> > but more stable and tested.
>
> What makes you think it is more stable?
>
> There are many problems and bugs with Kopete not least it doesn't work for
> modern IM uses like GTalk, Facebook, Bonjour.
>
> Kopete is unmaintained so it's problems won't go away, KDE Telepathy is and
> has active upstreams so we can poke them at problems we find.
>
> Currently I'm minded to put kde-telepathy on the CD before feature freeze
> with the option to take it out if we find major problems before releasae.

I use Kopete with the OTR plugin on a nearly daily basis for AIM with zero
problems. I'll try and find time to test KDE Telepathy, but at this point I'm
not having a problem I need fixed.

Also Kopete is integrated with the Message Indicator we ship in our default
systray. Does KDE Telepathy integrate with it?

Scott K

Jonathan Riddell 02-13-2012 06:23 PM

kde telepathy?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:15:11PM +0000, Félim Whiteley wrote:
> I've just given it a shot and I get "Internal Componet Error" trying to talk
> to GTalk. I've made sure it's not a password issue.

From IRC:

19:20 < d_ed> he's using an outdated version of telepathy-gabble that crashes

so maybe you're on oneiric which has an old telepathy-gabble?

Jonathan

Félim Whiteley 02-13-2012 06:31 PM

kde telepathy?

> Do you have correct settings for GTalk in Kopete?

I'm using it in Kopete since ~2004. I've tested it with an AIM account which
also gets an error "Connection Failed". The only one that has worked is
hotmail/live/whatever_they_call_it_now windows messenger.

Kopete is ok if it's jsut for Text, but file transfers have never worked, talk
doesn't either. Blocking spam accoutns never seems to work (but that is
probably server side)... it jsut feels abandoned.