Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Harald Sitter

Default kde telepathy?

On Thursday 16 February 2012 09:20:32 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le 16/02/2012 00:46, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> > On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 09:47:06 PM David Edmundson wrote:
> >> Shipping both would be confusing. Especially as it really makes sense
> >> to have the presence applet load by default in the sys-tray.
> >
> > We already have a messaging indicator that supports email, IRC, and IM in
> > the systray. Not having KDE Telepathy integrated with this would be
> > confusing, so we only want one widget in the systray, the question is how
> > best to present it.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> I happen to have some knowledge about messaging indicators . I am very
> happy to provide support for implementing one or even (gasp) do it
> myself. What would be the deadline for such a patch?

Final freeze I guess...

> Can we consider it
> a regression fix?

Probably not unless it is default. Though depending on the invasiveness of a
patch we might be able to SRU it eitherway.

> While I am at it, might as well give my opinion on whether we should
> ship KDE Telepathy or not. My position would be to ship Kopete by
> default in Main, and ship KDE Telepathy in Universe. That gives more
> users the occasion to test it, report bugs and make it solid. It also
> avoids disrupting Kubuntu software selection too much for LTS.

+1

> I don't think the fact KDE Telepathy has a KCM is an issue: if it is not
> shipped by default the KCM will only be present for those who
> consciously installed it.

Agreed. That was about a scenario with both kopete and ktp on the CD, where
you would have an IM&Voip entry in systemsettings but it'd be completely
unrelated to Kopete.

H S

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, February 13, 2012 05:40:31 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Rohan and friends have got kde-telepathy to a place where it's ready to be
> uploaded which I'm doing now.
>
> We need testers to decide if it's better or worse than kopete.
> kde-telepathy is new and not well tested. kopete is old and
> unmaintained. We have to decide by feature freeze on thursday.
>
> Testers add this PPA
> https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa
>
> and install kde-telepathy and run "contacts" from k-menu or alt-f2.

I did finally get a chance to test it today. I didn't find any advantages for
AIM (the protocol I tested) for KDE telepathy. In addition to the previously
discussed lack of encryption support (not happening for Precise) and lack of
message indicator integration (hopefully happening), I did find another issue:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/947430 - Actions on notifications not working

This is a big deal for me personally and it would be nice if someone could
figure it out. I checked and the actions work just fine from Kopete on the same
system, so I don't think it's KDE 4.8 or some more general issue.

Scott K