Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
David Edmundson

Default kde telepathy?

> How is data migrated from Kopete?

It is not. Accounts isn't really an issue people only tend to have 3
at most and making new accounts is fricking easy. Migrating logs is
more of a pain, and 0.3 (which you're looking at shipping doesn't have
a log viewer)

> I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.

It is not in the near future.
I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.

> Does telepathy have KCM entries in systemsettings?

It does.

> Ship both

Shipping both would be confusing. Especially as it really makes sense
to have the presence applet load by default in the sys-tray.

> I feel SIPE would be a big win.

We have sipe. Install pidgin-sipe.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Mark Fraser

On Wednesday 15 Feb 2012 21:47:06 David Edmundson wrote:

> > How is data migrated from Kopete?

> It is not. Accounts isn't really an issue people only tend to have 3

> at most and making new accounts is fricking easy. Migrating logs is

> more of a pain, and 0.3 (which you're looking at shipping doesn't have

> a log viewer)

*

I have 6 accounts and I have merged the contacts from different IMs of one person into one meta-contact which is something that I don't think you can currently do with Telepathy.

*

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM
David Edmundson

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 Feb 2012 21:47:06 David Edmundson wrote:
>
>> > How is data migrated from Kopete?
>

>> It is not. Accounts isn't really an issue people only tend to have 3
>
>> at most and making new accounts is fricking easy. Migrating logs is
>
>> more of a pain, and 0.3 (which you're looking at shipping doesn't have
>
>> a log viewer)
>

> I have 6 accounts and I have merged the contacts from different IMs of one
> person into one meta-contact which is something that I don't think you can
> currently do with Telepathy.

It's worth always saying "KDE Telepathy" rather than just Telepathy,
telepathy is our backend, or upstream.

My point is it's only a few, 6 is on the high end. Migrating this is
significantly less important than 1000s of emails. It's simply not
worth the time for the reward. 6 accounts would take you less than 5
minutes to set up in KDE Telepathy.
Particularly as we create "Facebook" or "Gmail" accounts, not just
"Jabber" like you see in Kopete, so there's not a percect 1-1 mapping,
only hacks so it probably would break in a large amount of cases
anyway.

No we don't have metacontacts in 0.3.
There's been a lot of "discussion" on this for years, but we now have
a plan with KDE PIM, which unfortunately means us writing an entire
metacontact framework for all of KDE, as Akonadi is now pulling in
contact information from multiple sources and needs them merging, so
it's different from the old system of "everything ties to the one
address book". In an attempt to do this properly, there's been a lot
of bike shedding and OTT plans, and even some code, but it's not in
yet.

Dave

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM, David Edmundson
<david@davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> My point is it's only a few, 6 is on the high end. Migrating this is
> significantly less important than 1000s of emails. *It's simply not
> worth the time for the reward. 6 accounts would take you less than 5
> minutes to set up in KDE Telepathy.
> Particularly as we create "Facebook" or "Gmail" accounts, not just
> "Jabber" like you see in Kopete, so there's not a percect 1-1 mapping,
> only hacks so it probably would break in a large amount of cases
> anyway.

That seems majorly inconvenient TBH, I for one do care quite a bit
about my logs
And I certainly would about my metacontacts, I had them set up at some
point but some upgrade years ago broke my contacts database and all
was lost... oh boy that was quite the sad day, I was furious.
So I appreciate the technical difficulty, however I personally feel
uneasy about telling our users that we have a new cool system, except
all the stuff they did in the old system will not be immediately
usable in it.

I remember a time when that happend not to long ago, and I recall KDE
and all distros getting quite the beating for it.

Loss of data is never fun. I agree that emails by and large are
objectively more important than IM data, I am not so sure if they are
subjectively though. If someone spent hours bringing their kopete into
shape by creating metacontacts and now all that was gone they are
bound be unhappy, to say the least (talking from experience here).

BR
Harald

Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM, David Edmundson
<david@davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
>> I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>
> It is not in the near future.
> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.

Yes, it is mostly nerds talking to nerds, and yet it is also those who
use an unencrypted network and wish to communicate sensitive data
I do have at least 5 people on my gmail contacts with whom I OTR to
prevent google from eating the conversations.

>> Does telepathy have KCM entries in systemsettings?
>
> It does.
>
>> Ship both
>
> Shipping both would be confusing. Especially as it really makes sense
> to have the presence applet load by default in the sys-tray.

Considering it has KCMs I totally agree (well, not only, but mostly)

BR
Harald

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 09:47:06 PM David Edmundson wrote:
> > I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>
> It is not in the near future.
> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.

I mention it because I use it on a roughly daily basis, so you've now 'met'
someone.

Scott K

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 09:47:06 PM David Edmundson wrote:
> Shipping both would be confusing. Especially as it really makes sense
> to have the presence applet load by default in the sys-tray.

We already have a messaging indicator that supports email, IRC, and IM in the
systray. Not having KDE Telepathy integrated with this would be confusing, so
we only want one widget in the systray, the question is how best to present
it.

Scott K

Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
David Edmundson

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 09:47:06 PM David Edmundson wrote:
>> > I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>>
>> It is not in the near future.
>> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
>> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
>> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.
>
> I mention it because I use it on a roughly daily basis, so you've now 'met'
> someone.

I probably shouldn't have been quite so off hand about it, it's one of
the constantly brought up "requirements" that everyone talks about
no-one volunteers to actually do such that I'm fed up of talking about
it.

It's something that needs to be done upstream at the telepathy level,
only then can we do our GUI layers upon on it.
There was an upstream GSOC project last year, stuff exists in a branch
but it was never merged. Not helped that OTR is (from a technical POV)
a massive hack and upstream do like to do things "properly".

I'm sure they'd help anyone wanting to work on it, just as I'd go well
out of my way to help anyone who wanted to work on the relevant KDE
side once it was implemented upstream.

Dave

Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Ingo Ratsdorf

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM, David Edmundson
> david@davidedmundson.co.uk wrote:
>>> I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>>
>> It is not in the near future.
>> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
>> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
>> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.
>
> Yes, it is mostly nerds talking to nerds, and yet it is also those who
> use an unencrypted network and wish to communicate sensitive data
> I do have at least 5 people on my gmail contacts with whom I OTR to
> prevent google from eating the conversations.

Oh come on people, if someone is really using google but being concerned about their data...!?!
I for one do not even know what OTR is, http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OTR only list two dozen options ;-)
However I have given up on google years ago.

Most users wont care. They are rather interested in a working solution that does not crash, is not sluggish and supports their providers.

I have given up on pidgin primarily because of it's unbearably ugly layout. Same with Kopete.
Have a look at Apple and follow the "Reduce to the Max". :-)
And none have ever supported LinkedIn.

Not surprised that Kubuntu never made it into the corporate sector with the slowness of Akonadi on top and a desktop search that hangs you whole computer for 5 minutes at bootup. Businesses do not have shiny new 8-core computers with 8 Gig of ram.
Not in the places where I have been.
My laptop is 10 years old.

Cheers,
Ingo

--
envirology* Ltd

45 Arthur Street | Riverhead | Auckland 0820
p&f +64 9 412 2241 | skype ingoratsdorf | jabber ingo.ratsdorf@chat.facebook.com
ingo@envirology.co.nz ingo@envirology.co.nz | [www.envirology.co.nz -> http://www.envirology.co.nz]

*envirology – a term combined from Environment and the greek “logos” (word, reason, plan)

Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
David Edmundson

> Not surprised that Kubuntu never made it into the corporate sector with the slowness of Akonadi on top and a desktop search that hangs you whole computer for 5 minutes at bootup.
> Businesses do not have shiny new 8-core computers with 8 Gig of ram.
Can we keep things on topic please without the trolling.