Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
"Donatas G."

Default kde telepathy?

Several people mentioned that Kopete jabber part worked fine without any problems. In my case this is true for text messages, but not for voice calls and file transfer (I am behind a router most of the time, so other may have had better chances for file transfer). What about file transfer and voice calls? (I gather from other responces that voice calls are possible only with other gtalk clients upon installing a third party? plugin).

Donatas

2012/2/14 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com>

> creating a dconf folder in ~/.cache fixed this for me

That actually worked! Conencted fine. And this is using oneiric with gabble

0.13.

I'll use it as much as possible and report any bugs..

Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
David Edmundson

There seems to be a lot of misnomers here, so as the lead telepathy
dev I'll help clarify some things.

- It all works, we support all protocols always as well, and normally
better than pidgin (as one of the backends is libpurple, but it's not
the only one)
- Protocol support is better than any other app (except Empathy obviously)
- There is a slight issue with the .cache/dconf directory not
existing. Worst case we can patch that in our code, though this isn't
the right place for it.
- File transfer works (mostly, it depends a bit on the protocol and
the client at each end.)
- Text chat (which is the vast majority of usage) works fine.
- I've used it exclusively for over a year.

- We have NO audio video support being shipped.
- We have NO off the record support. (because apparently every user
discusses top secret plans over MSN all the time)

Tentative Future plan
0.3.1 coming at the end of the month. Fixes most bugs in current 0.3

0.4 is due in late April. This will contain lots of shiny new things,
so probably be a bit rough round the edges.
0.5 is due one week after KDE 4.9, this will be stabilising all the
things in 0.4.

"when will it be 1.0" ?
That's just a name. One of the very original early developers
wouldn't let us call anything 1.0 without the overly complex
metacontacts plan, but he hasn't touched anything in a year so I don't
really care anymore. 0.3 was designed to be rock solid and stable,
like a proper release. Sure there are a few bug fixes needed since
0.3.0 but what is there should work, but it doesn't have everything
that Kopete has.

Should it be in Kubuntu?
I think Precise + 1 should definitely ship KDE Telepathy.

Personally I think you're better off using it in Precise, there are
good reasons for doing so, but there are also some good reasons not
to.
Realistically we're not going to maintain 0.3 after 0.5 is released
(unless there's anything critical), but then no-one is maintaining
Kopete at all, so that's still better.

Dave

Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Jonathan Riddell

I've put telepathy-kde onto the CDs and it should appear tomorrow.

I'm very open to reverting back to Kopete if that's what is needed.

So far we want to request message integrator support.

Anything else?

Jonathan

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I've put telepathy-kde onto the CDs and it should appear tomorrow.
>
> I'm very open to reverting back to Kopete if that's what is needed.
>
> So far we want to request message integrator support.
>
> Anything else?

How is data migrated from Kopete?

BR
Harald

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 04:03:46 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I've put telepathy-kde onto the CDs and it should appear tomorrow.
>
> I'm very open to reverting back to Kopete if that's what is needed.
>
> So far we want to request message integrator support.
>
> Anything else?

I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.

Scott K

Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.

That will majorly piss off the security geeks :O
Also... FWIW: there is a business use case for this! Say you are using
an unencrypted IM solution internally ... one course of action I have
seen taken is simply enforce OTR throughout the company as to prevent
problems when someone is checking in from outside with someone inside.
Anyone got the monies to bribe them not ranting about it on the
intartubes? I think we had enough bad PR for a year....

BR
Harald

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 08:47:13 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>
> That will majorly piss off the security geeks :O
> Also... FWIW: there is a business use case for this! Say you are using
> an unencrypted IM solution internally ... one course of action I have
> seen taken is simply enforce OTR throughout the company as to prevent
> problems when someone is checking in from outside with someone inside.
> Anyone got the monies to bribe them not ranting about it on the
> intartubes? I think we had enough bad PR for a year....

Just don't drop kopete this cycle. Ship both and let people use each for the
use cases they excel for. Since kopete isn't being developed it's not like
it's going to get hard to backport security fixes.

Scott K

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Tres Finocchiaro

So far we want to request message integrator support.

Anything else?

Jonathan

I feel SIPE would be a big win.
-Tres

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> Just don't drop kopete this cycle. * Ship both and let people use each for the
> use cases they excel for. *Since kopete isn't being developed it's not like
> it's going to get hard to backport security fixes.

That can easily get confusing, particularly if we present them both
visually equal....

Does telepathy have KCM entries in systemsettings?

BR
Harald

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Tres Finocchiaro
<fatbuttlarry@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So far we want to request message integrator support.
>>
>> Anything else?
>>
>> Jonathan
>

> I feel SIPE would be a big win.

SIPE?