Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Félim Whiteley

Default kde telepathy?

Yes I'm on oneiric so that's probably it.. I would have thought the PPA would
have pulled a later version of all components but if not then that's it...

I use this machien for work so can't really risk the upgrade at moment,
running the 4.8 PPA is as futuristic as I can get ;-)

Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Pali Rohár

On Monday 13 February 2012 19:31:43 you wrote:
> > Do you have correct settings for GTalk in Kopete?
>
> I'm using it in Kopete since ~2004. I've tested it with an AIM account which
> also gets an error "Connection Failed". The only one that has worked is
> hotmail/live/whatever_they_call_it_now windows messenger.
>
> Kopete is ok if it's jsut for Text, but file transfers have never worked,
> talk doesn't either. Blocking spam accoutns never seems to work (but that
> is probably server side)... it jsut feels abandoned.

For blocking spam is good kopete antispam plugin (not part of official kopete
release). Voice call/talk is supported only in Skype and in Jabber by google
libjingle (wich working only sometimes...).

Is kde-telepathy supporting Skype?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com--

Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:20:47PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I use Kopete with the OTR plugin on a nearly daily basis for AIM with zero
> problems. I'll try and find time to test KDE Telepathy, but at this point I'm
> not having a problem I need fixed.

19:28 < d_ed> we don't have OTR
19:28 < d_ed> and cannot in the really near future
AIM is on the list

> Also Kopete is integrated with the Message Indicator we ship in our default
> systray. Does KDE Telepathy integrate with it?

19:28 < d_ed> we could be persuaded.

Other advantage of kde-telepathy, lovely upstream.

Jonathan

Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:34:21PM +0000, Félim Whiteley wrote:
> Yes I'm on oneiric so that's probably it.. I would have thought the PPA would
> have pulled a later version of all components but if not then that's it...

Only telepathy-kde, not actual telepathy itself.

Jonathan

Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:47:41PM -0500, Clay Weber wrote:
> The Instant Messaging Presence widget- should this be added to the systray on
> install? Closing the Contact list does give a warning about staying online or
> to go offline, but there is no systray icon or panel entry once you close it.

I don't think it's got a great UI design so I wouldn't want it added. I'd rather persuade them to do the message integrator integration.

> Some other small UI things here and there in a similar vein, plus the obvious
> lack of features as compared to kopete.

What's lacking?

> However, as an lts, how does updating telepathy-kde work, would we be able to
> add a new, better version as necessary, or are we stuck with 0.3 for the life
> of the release? If the latter, then I would vote for Kopete I think.

From IRC upstream says..
19:36 < d_ed> I think you should 0.3 is stable, we're even doign patch releases for it
19:36 < d_ed> and maintaining it

Jonathan

Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, February 13, 2012 07:39:07 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:20:47PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I use Kopete with the OTR plugin on a nearly daily basis for AIM with
> > zero problems. I'll try and find time to test KDE Telepathy, but at
> > this point I'm not having a problem I need fixed.
>
> 19:28 < d_ed> we don't have OTR
> 19:28 < d_ed> and cannot in the really near future
> AIM is on the list
>
> > Also Kopete is integrated with the Message Indicator we ship in our
> > default systray. Does KDE Telepathy integrate with it?
>
> 19:28 < d_ed> we could be persuaded.
>
> Other advantage of kde-telepathy, lovely upstream.

OK. From my POV then kde-telepathy is not at all a replacement for kopete.
The question isn't if it should replace it, but if it should supplement it.

I think that if we're going to keep the message indicator (and I confess it's
grown on me), then I think kde-telepathy integration with it is essential.

Scott K

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Christian Mangold

Am Montag, 13. Februar 2012, 19:15:11 schrieb Félim Whiteley:

> I've just given it a shot and I get "Internal Componet Error" trying to talk
> to GTalk. I've made sure it's not a password issue.

creating a dconf folder in ~/.cache fixed this for me

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, February 13, 2012 11:25:10 PM Christian Mangold wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. Februar 2012, 19:15:11 schrieb Félim Whiteley:
> > I've just given it a shot and I get "Internal Componet Error" trying to
> > talk to GTalk. I've made sure it's not a password issue.
>
> creating a dconf folder in ~/.cache fixed this for me

Which begs the question what all new dependencies does kde-telepathy bring in?
I thought dconf was a Gnome thing.

Scott K

Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
pansz

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> What makes you think it is more stable?
>
> There are many problems and bugs with Kopete not least it doesn't work for modern IM uses like GTalk, Facebook, Bonjour.

I had been using Kopete for GTalk for 3 years and it works without any problem.

You don't even need any additional setup, just choose the jabber
account and type your gmail address as jabber id and press Next ...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Félim Whiteley

> creating a dconf folder in ~/.cache fixed this for me

That actually worked! Conencted fine. And this is using oneiric with gabble
0.13.

I'll use it as much as possible and report any bugs..