Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 PM
"Donatas G."

Default compiling kwin for kubuntu the quick way?

Lately I have been trying to compile kwin with various patches to test it against my old hardware that was not available to developers producing patches.

The obvious option is to go the debian way: download, patch and compile a source package using debian tools. But kwin is part of a metapackage kde-workspace, and you can either compile all of it or not compile at all. And compiling the whole kde-workspace takes maybe 6 hours on my system...

So I tried the short way as suggested earlier on this list:

apt-get source kde-workspace

apt-get build-dep kde-workspace

cd kde-workspace

<apply patch>

mkdir build

cd build

cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

make kwin

cd kwin

sudo make install

I did it, and though it was built without any error and installed nice, it did not run! I get this error and kwin does not start

$ kwin --replace

kwin: error while loading shared libraries: libkephal.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I suspect the answer must be somewhere in the kde-workspace source package debian/rules, but I give smart enough to figure it out.

Having to rebuild the whole kde-workspace really discourages me from trying to contribute to KDE testing, so if somebody could offer me a possibility to build kwin the quick way, I would be greatful.

Donatas

Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Harald Sitter

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Donatas G. <dgvirtual@akl.lt> wrote:
> cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

This will not work. kde-workspace developers do not ensure binary
compatibility of their libraries, but since a lot of them are public
(i.e. public library with soname/version *and* headers) we do it for
them, so in fact there is no libkephal.so.4, there is a
libkephal.so.4abiX where X is how many times they broke the ABI
already (currently 1 if I am not mistaken).

So, what you could try is
fakeroot make -f debian/rules configure

which should create obj-something inside the source dir (which is
equivalent to the manually created build dir except it has those abi
changes, another, less clean, but equally sufficient way is to symlink
the abi protected version to libkephal.so.4 so that kwin can find it.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 AM
pansz

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Donatas G. <dgvirtual@akl.lt> wrote:
> apt-get source kde-workspace
> apt-get build-dep kde-workspace
> cd kde-workspace
> <apply patch>

probabaly the more official way to compile "apt-get source" package is
: dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
you need to have installed fakeroot.

After compile you could just find the kwin executable and cp kwin to /usr/bin.

So the following can be bypassed...

Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Harald Sitter

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:36 AM, pansz <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Donatas G. <dgvirtual@akl.lt> wrote:
>> apt-get source kde-workspace
>> apt-get build-dep kde-workspace
>> cd kde-workspace
>> <apply patch>
>
> probabaly the more official way to compile "apt-get source" package is
> : dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
> you need to have installed fakeroot.
>
> After compile you could just find the kwin executable and cp kwin to /usr/bin.

Very true. Except that will take 6 hours and is what Donatas wanted to avoid

Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
"Donatas G."

Harald, though kwin did run (as I reported before), the patch was somehow lost, so I had distorted popup shadows again... I tried it again and again, the same result.

This was with the command sequence:

apt-get source kde-workspace

apt-get build-dep kde-workspace

cd kde-workspace-*
<apply patch>

fakeroot make -f debian/rules configure
cd obj-i686-linux-gnu/
make kwin

cd kwin

sudo make install

how is it that the patch was lost? May be I applied the patch not at the right moment?

However, I succeeded the second way – built kwin the regular way (described in my first email) and then symlinked the libkephal.so.4 to libkephal.so.4.7.0.abi1

Donatas