Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
heathmatlock

Default Kubuntu Website Appearance

Are users able contribute patches to the website? Kudos to those who
have worked on it, but imho, it's bland compared to ubuntu.com. The
wiki is starting to get some nice overhauls and has an appearance more
similar to the one you would expect the frontpage to have.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Tres Finocchiaro

Are we allowed to borrow artwork from the Ubuntu site (i.e., that laptop picture?)
I don't think the current site looks bad at all. * I just did a visual comparison against Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, and its comparable.

Here's a mock-up if we were to borrow artwork from Ubuntu.com:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jrH3-BRRi1g/TvJZLZM_DzI/AAAAAAAAAoo/nctJpxPwSFU/s1600/ubuntu_blue.png

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
heathmatlock

Yes, even copying most everything from ubuntu.com would be better than what
is currently presented.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Tres Finocchiaro
<fatbuttlarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we allowed to borrow artwork from the Ubuntu site (i.e., that laptop
> picture?)
>
> I don't think the current site looks bad at all. * I just did a visual
> comparison against Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, and its comparable.
>
> Here's a mock-up if we were to borrow artwork from Ubuntu.com:
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jrH3-BRRi1g/TvJZLZM_DzI/AAAAAAAAAoo/nctJpxPwSFU/s1600/ubuntu_blue.png
>
> -Tres
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM, James Cain <james.cain.25@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. I think it needs overhauled with input from a Marketing
>> perspective. If I didn't know (and use) Kubuntu already, the website would
>> not convince me to try it, let alone ditch Windows. As the OP said, nothing
>> against the site as it is very clean and professional looking. It's just a
>> little sparse.
>>
>> James Cain
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM, heathmatlock <heathmatlock@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are users able contribute patches to the website? Kudos to those who
>>> have worked on it, but imho, it's bland compared to ubuntu.com. The
>>> wiki is starting to get some nice overhauls and has an appearance more
>>> similar to the one you would expect the frontpage to have.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Heath Matlock
>>> +1 256 274 4225
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --

> - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
heathmatlock

Also, I nominate something more minimal like this desktop if we can
copy directly from ubuntu.com

http://i.imgur.com/Vu0bV.png

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM
heathmatlock

.which would look something like this: http://i.imgur.com/WHwMO.png
but this isn't the point of this thread

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 05:16:50 PM heathmatlock wrote:
> Also, I nominate something more minimal like this desktop if we can
> copy directly from ubuntu.com
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Vu0bV.png

We generally try to have the pictures on the web site match the defaults we
ship so that we are setting user expectations appropriately. I don't think we
should change that.

Scott K

Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 AM
heathmatlock

Okay, that's fine. his doesn't look bad at all. What I want to know is
my original question, can we submit changes to the site? Design by
committee apparently fails though, so I'm not sure how you would go
about doing something like this.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 05:16:50 PM heathmatlock wrote:
>> Also, I nominate something more minimal like this desktop if we can
>> copy directly from ubuntu.com
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/Vu0bV.png
>
> We generally try to have the pictures on the web site match the defaults we
> ship so that we are setting user expectations appropriately. *I don't think we
> should change that.
>
> Scott K

Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 09:14:19 PM heathmatlock wrote:
> Okay, that's fine. his doesn't look bad at all. What I want to know is
> my original question, can we submit changes to the site? Design by
> committee apparently fails though, so I'm not sure how you would go
> about doing something like this.

Yes. You can. I'm not working on the web site myself, so I can't give you
details. I talked to one of the people who is and they said they'd reply to
the thread (not sure why they didn't yet).

Scott K

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Ryan Kavanagh

Hi all,

Sorry for the wait.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 07:22:24PM -0600, heathmatlock wrote:
> Are users able contribute patches to the website? Kudos to those who
> have worked on it, but imho, it's bland compared to ubuntu.com. The
> wiki is starting to get some nice overhauls and has an appearance more
> similar to the one you would expect the frontpage to have.

Everybody is welcome to contribute to the website. David Wonderly is
planning on porting the current wiki theme to Drupal in the next few
weeks, I've added him in CC; feel free to contact him if you'd like to
help out.

The wiki theme's branch is here[0], in it you can find the CSS, layout,
etc for the wiki.

If you'd like to update content, let me know what pages you'd like to
work on and I can get you the sources for the current revision of the
page. If you have ideas for new content, please propose them on the
list.

Best wishes,
Ryan

[0] lp:~kubuntu-website/kubuntu-website/kubuntu-light-wiki-theme