Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Glenn de Groot

Default Some ways to save space

Hello everyone,*
letīs first introduce myself. I am Glenn de Groot, I have been using and following the *buntu projects for 2.5 years now.*I noticed Kubuntu is 699 MB large, so I started a little investigation. I read some other mails about this kind of subject so I am sending my "results" now.
-I found out Amarok uses a whopping 32.6 MB. I looked for alternatives and found the very nice and simple Juk music player, which uses only 1.6 MB. This would save 34.4 MB, uncompressed.*- Kate uses 10.5 MB, Kate is a very advanced programmers editor so that was expected. A move to the simple Kwrite text editor (uses about 330 KB) would save 10.2 uncompressed MB.-We now have Muon which makes installing apps very easy, I believe we can get rid of the kubuntu-firefox-installer.-A switch from Libreoffice to Koffice/Calligra would save about 140 uncompressed MB.
All the things I found together would save 185 uncompressed MB.Now my found things are only ideas, I do believe a clean up is necessary.We could make the iso larger, but that would be just avoiding the problem instead of fixing it.*
Greets,
Glenn de Groot

Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 06:58:29PM +0000, Glenn de Groot wrote:
> -I found out Amarok uses a whopping 32.6 MB. I looked for alternatives and
> found the very nice and simple Juk music player, which uses only 1.6 MB.
> This would save 34.4 MB, uncompressed.
> - Kate uses 10.5 MB, Kate is a very advanced programmers editor so that
> was expected. A move to the simple Kwrite text editor (uses about 330 KB)
> would save 10.2 uncompressed MB.
> -We now have Muon which makes installing apps very easy, I believe we can
> get rid of the kubuntu-firefox-installer.
> -A switch from Libreoffice to Koffice/Calligra would save about 140
> uncompressed MB.
> All the things I found together would save 185 uncompressed MB.
> Now my found things are only ideas, I do believe a clean up is necessary.
> We could make the iso larger, but that would be just avoiding the problem
> instead of fixing it.

When deciding what apps we should have we need to balance our space
needs with our desire to show that KDE Software is the best in the
world. Juk is not the best of KDE software, Amarok is a very popular
application even by non-Plasma users which offers lots of useful
features. Krite is based on Kate, it uses about half a meg on CD
space difference. kubuntu-firefox-installer is trivially small and
obvious wouldn't be needed anyway if we changed to firefox. Switching
to calligra is tempting for a KDE fanboy like me but it doesn't yet
have a released version.

Jonathan