Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Alex

Default RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image

On Dec 8, 2011, at 2:59 AM, pansz <pan.shizhu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM, LucaTringali <TRINGALINVENT@libero.it> wrote:
>> in fact, today, all the new computers have a DVD drive or can be
>> booted with a USB pen, and this makes the CD image unuseful for them).
>
> It is useful, 700MB CD image can be write into a 1GB USB stick, with
> the tool come with ubuntu/kubuntu.
>
> what is more, it takes much more time downding DVD, so more people may
> still stick to CD.
>
> I think it would be better trying to fit Firefox onto CD media. Like
> Ubuntu unity has done.

This is the one thing I hate about larger disk images - for example, on my slow Internet it already takes me about 12 hours to download the cd image.
Sent from my iPod

Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:37:40PM +0100, Felix Geyer wrote:
> I'd like to propose switching to Firefox as our default browser.

My opinion has always been to go with KDE software where practicle. I
see this as a main purpose of Kubuntu, promoting KDE as a community
and platform and bringing out the best from KDE as the best long term
solution to allow free software to take over the world. Sometimes
this requires to accept some bugs and feature defects where there is a
non-KDE alternative.

One possibility, which I'm against but less so, would be to have a KDE
Pure CD image with Calligra and Rekonq and a less pure DVD/USB image.
But I wonder where it will stop, what if system-config-printer-kde has
bugs in it which the gnome equivalent does not. We might end up just
like Fedora or openSUSE but with less purpose.

With Firefox not shipping KDE integration the larger image option may
be less popular now. It might well come to a Kubuntu Council vote in
the end though.

Jonathan

Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Scott Kitterman

On 12/12/2011 11:55 AM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:37:40PM +0100, Felix Geyer wrote:
>> I'd like to propose switching to Firefox as our default browser.
>
> My opinion has always been to go with KDE software where practicle. I
> see this as a main purpose of Kubuntu, promoting KDE as a community
> and platform and bringing out the best from KDE as the best long term
> solution to allow free software to take over the world. Sometimes
> this requires to accept some bugs and feature defects where there is a
> non-KDE alternative.
>
> One possibility, which I'm against but less so, would be to have a KDE
> Pure CD image with Calligra and Rekonq and a less pure DVD/USB image.
> But I wonder where it will stop, what if system-config-printer-kde has
> bugs in it which the gnome equivalent does not. We might end up just
> like Fedora or openSUSE but with less purpose.
>
> With Firefox not shipping KDE integration the larger image option may
> be less popular now. It might well come to a Kubuntu Council vote in
> the end though.

Last time I checked, it looked like LibreOffice was the only thing
requiring GTK on the CD, so if Calligra is usable, then a pure KDE CD
might be doable. That would also give us more room for stuff like
language packs (unless Calligra is bigger than LO).

Scott K

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Felix Geyer

On 12.12.2011 17:55, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> With Firefox not shipping KDE integration the larger image option may
> be less popular now. It might well come to a Kubuntu Council vote in
> the end though.

I had a quick chat with jdstrand about the security of rekonq and
QtWebkit.
There doesn't seem to be much security support from upstream
and there hasn't been a single security update of QtWebkit in
Ubuntu since rekonq is our default browser (maverick).
So this is already a big problem and is going to get much worse with
the LTS.
I don't see how we can support a browser with QtWebkit for 5
years since we basically already have failed to do so in past
non-LTS releases.

Even though Firefox will probably have a poor KDE integration
again I think it's the only viable option.
This however means that we shouldn't even ship rekonq on the
CD. That's going to be a challenge since the current precise image
is oversized and doesn't contain any language packs.
As a last resort we could switch to a 750 MB image.

Felix

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 AM
pansz

Yes! Firefox is used by 40% of total users, which is way much more
than LibreOffice/OpenOffice users.

There really isn't any reason not to ship Firefox by default when we
already have LibreOffice in the CD.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Giuseppe Pennisi

2011/12/13 pansz <pan.shizhu@gmail.com>:
> Yes! Firefox is used by 40% of total users, which is way much more
> than LibreOffice/OpenOffice users.
>
> There really isn't any reason not to ship Firefox by default when we
> already have LibreOffice in the CD.

+10000
LibreOffice has a poor integration with KDE but is installed by
default because KOfficeCalligra is not ready. Ok, I can understand.

Rekonq is not ready and the 90% of people not use it and install
Firefox or Chrome but it is install by default. Firefox has a
sufficient integration (via add-ons and oxygen-gtk engine) and is the
first application that the users install but is not install by
default. I can't understand.

There must be a reason if Firefox by default is one of the main user requests.