Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Tres Finocchiaro

Default RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image

-KWallet...

-XDG...

-Open dialogs...

If 99% of desktop users are using Chrome/Firefox anyways, the points/risks you make have already been accepted/introduced by users.
Just for reference, Chrome seems to use the GTK dialogs too (screenshots attached). **Kubuntu 11.10 does a good job of hiding this fact.

This email was composed using Google Chrome, which allows me to paste in-line images into email messages using the web interface. *This feature worked with Firefox too, but did not work with Rekonq.

-Tres
--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Steven Sroka

>On 6 December 2011 15:37, Tres Finocchiaro <fatbuttlarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> -KWallet...
>> -XDG...
>> -Open dialogs...
>

> If 99% of desktop users are using Chrome/Firefox anyways, the points/risks
> you make have already been accepted/introduced by users.
>
> Just for reference, Chrome seems to use the GTK dialogs too (screenshots
> attached). **Kubuntu 11.10 does a good job of hiding this fact.
>
> This email was composed using Google Chrome, which allows me to paste
> in-line images into email messages using the web interface. *This feature
> worked with Firefox too, but did not work with Rekonq.

Just as a FYI,
I see no images

> -Tres
>
> --
> - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Steven Sroka
(lin-unix)

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Chris

FYI, images are scrubbed by Ubuntu's mailman.*
With metta, Chris

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 01:17, Steven Sroka <sroka.steven@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6 December 2011 15:37, Tres Finocchiaro <fatbuttlarry@gmail.com> wrote:

>> -KWallet...

>> -XDG...

>> -Open dialogs...

> If 99% of desktop users are using Chrome/Firefox anyways, the points/risks

> you make have already been accepted/introduced by users.

> Just for reference, Chrome seems to use the GTK dialogs too (screenshots

> attached). **Kubuntu 11.10 does a good job of hiding this fact.

> This email was composed using Google Chrome, which allows me to paste

> in-line images into email messages using the web interface. *This feature

> worked with Firefox too, but did not work with Rekonq.

Just as a FYI,

I see no images

> -Tres

> --

> - Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Steven Sroka

(lin-unix)

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Tres Finocchiaro

FYI, images are scrubbed by Ubuntu's mailman.*

I see no images
:-)

40K Max. *:-(

:-)

Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 AM
pansz

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Felix Geyer <debfx@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose switching to Firefox as our default browser.

I second this.

Firefox is always my default browser (On Win7, OSX and Kubuntu), it is
good to have the same browser on all of my computers.

Set Firefox to default make things better because it encourages
Kubuntu developers to make better integration with Firefox/KDE.

It would be even better to have Kwallet integration by default. I
guess the version dependency is a non-issue if someone put kwallet
integration package into main repository.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 AM
pansz

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM, LucaTringali <TRINGALINVENT@libero.it> wrote:
> I proposed to mantain the CD version. Just deliver also a *DVD version with
> other useful programs already installed (if some of them are illegal, for
> example the flash player, we won't deliver them). Distributing a DVD does not
> prohibite us to continue delivering the CD. It would be just another option.

If you want to make it default, it may be more useful if the default
browser comes with the default media (the CD).

Personally, I'd like to drop OpenOffice in order to put Firefox in the
CD. Since a browser is much more useful than office software (you can
use google docs in browser). Koffice can sit there instead of OO.

But your mind may vary.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Zhengpeng Hou

On Thursday, December 8, 2011, pansz wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM, LucaTringali <TRINGALINVENT@libero.it> wrote:

> I proposed to mantain the CD version. Just deliver also a *DVD version with

> other useful programs already installed (if some of them are illegal, for

> example the flash player, we won't deliver them). Distributing a DVD does not

> prohibite us to continue delivering the CD. It would be just another option.

If you want to make it default, it may be more useful if the default

browser comes with the default media (the CD).

Personally, I'd like to drop OpenOffice in order to put Firefox in the

CD. Since a browser is much more useful than office software (you can

use google docs in browser). Koffice can sit there instead of OO.
+1 for drop libreoffice, if firefox going to be pulled in by default.*

But your mind may vary.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Rafael Belmonte

I think LibreOffice is very important also, and in my opinion Koffice
is not as good as LibreOffice and it has important bugs, for instance
see KDE Bug 287330.
The reallity is that some day the 700MB medium will not be enought.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 AM
pansz

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Rafael Belmonte <eaglescreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think LibreOffice is very important also, and in my opinion Koffice
> is not as good as LibreOffice

The same statement also applies to Firefox vs Rekonq. (Firefox is very
important, Rekonq is not as good as Firefox.)

Then what's the point of Koffice and Rekonq? They are small in size,
since all kde library dependencies are already installed.

I still wonder how Ubuntu Unity version manages to install LibreOffice
and Firefox and Thunderbird into one 700MB cd, can we do similiar
things?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
pansz

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM, LucaTringali <TRINGALINVENT@libero.it> wrote:
> in fact, today, all the new computers have a DVD drive or can be
> booted with a USB pen, and this makes the CD image unuseful for them).

It is useful, 700MB CD image can be write into a 1GB USB stick, with
the tool come with ubuntu/kubuntu.

what is more, it takes much more time downding DVD, so more people may
still stick to CD.

I think it would be better trying to fit Firefox onto CD media. Like
Ubuntu unity has done.