Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 AM
"Jonathan Jesse"

Default Feeling like a 2nd class citizen

Good evening,

I know I probablly shouldn't be posting this to both lists, but I couldn't
figure out which one would be better to post to.

I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.

I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
have lived to accept it, but it is other sites that I am getting sick of
trying to deal with.
I can to a page, an example being Facebook, and not get all of the images
or all of the links to work. I go to a travel site to book airplane
tickets and get to use the "basic" settings, I go to a page and am told
flash is not installed when I do have the non-free version of flash
installed or even better I click on a link and nothing happens until I
click on the link 3 or 4 times and finally the "gear" starts spinning and
I get the page I want. Another fun problem is when I increase the font
size the text blurs together and I can't read it.... or go to a page that
has a form and the text runs into the form so I don't really know what I'm
filling out.

Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
there.

--
Jonathan Jesse

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 AM
"reuben firmin"

Does anybody on this list really use konqueror as their primary browser? Is there a good reason that kubuntu can't start shipping firefox in addition? It's all about the user experience, right? (BTW, I love konqueror, but strictly as a file manager / random-net-protocol client.)

Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Billie Walsh

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I know I probablly shouldn't be posting this to both lists, but I couldn't
> figure out which one would be better to post to.
>
> I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
> don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.

One problem is that most web pages are written specifically for IE.
Microsoft, in their infinite stupidity, use proprietary tags and don't
necessarily use the standard ones. The standard ones they do use are
interpreted differently.

> I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
> have lived to accept it, but it is other sites that I am getting sick of
> trying to deal with.
> I can to a page, an example being Facebook, and not get all of the images
> or all of the links to work. I go to a travel site to book airplane
> tickets and get to use the "basic" settings, I go to a page and am told
> flash is not installed when I do have the non-free version of flash
> installed or even better I click on a link and nothing happens until I
> click on the link 3 or 4 times and finally the "gear" starts spinning and
> I get the page I want. Another fun problem is when I increase the font
> size the text blurs together and I can't read it.... or go to a page that
> has a form and the text runs into the form so I don't really know what I'm
> filling out.
>
> Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
> should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
> there

I don't generally use Konqueror for web browsing. I did when I first
started playing around with Linux a few years ago but had experiences
quite like your. I've used Firefox as my primary browser for both my
Windows and Linux installs from it's inception. While a lot of sites
don't play well with Firefox it does seem to do a better job of
interpreting pages.

My suggestion is to use Firefox. Just don't try going to Microsoft web
pages. They get plumb testy.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday 26 November 2007 22:21, reuben firmin wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 7:18 PM, Corey Cohen <coreymon77@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 2007 10:17 PM, Corey Cohen <coreymon77@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Nov 26, 2007 9:52 PM, Jonathan Jesse < jjesse@iserv.net> wrote:

Top posting fixed.

> > > use firefox, it works much much better. and NEVER say the "x" word
> > > again! :P
> > >
> > btw, you should be using firefox in your vm too anyways
> >
> Does anybody on this list really use konqueror as their primary browser? Is
> there a good reason that kubuntu can't start shipping firefox in addition?
> It's all about the user experience, right? (BTW, I love konqueror, but
> strictly as a file manager / random-net-protocol client.)

Yes I do. I'm not sure why, but I mostly use Firefox on my Kubuntu Dapper
desktop and Konqueror on my Kubuntu Gutsy laptop as my general browser. If I
have a problem, I try the other. Finally, I do have IE set up with Crossover
Office on my desktop, but there is exactly one site I use that I need that
for.

I find things to like about both Firefox and Konqueror and don't particularly
find one "better" than the other.

I should probably note that I'm an old curmudgeon and mostly read actual web
pages (my laptop doesn't have Flash of any variety installed and I consider
that a feature). YMMV.

Scott K

Old 11-27-2007, 03:05 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi,

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I know I probablly shouldn't be posting this to both lists, but I couldn't
> figure out which one would be better to post to.
>
> I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
> don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.
>
> I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
> have lived to accept it, but it is other sites that I am getting sick of
> trying to deal with.
> I can to a page, an example being Facebook, and not get all of the images
> or all of the links to work. I go to a travel site to book airplane
> tickets and get to use the "basic" settings, I go to a page and am told
> flash is not installed when I do have the non-free version of flash
> installed or even better I click on a link and nothing happens until I
> click on the link 3 or 4 times and finally the "gear" starts spinning and
> I get the page I want. Another fun problem is when I increase the font
> size the text blurs together and I can't read it.... or go to a page that
> has a form and the text runs into the form so I don't really know what I'm
> filling out.
>
> Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
> should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
> there.

Konqueror, when operating as a web-browser, is simple and
underpowered compared to Firefox etc..

It sounds like the solution for you might be to
install the win32 version of Firefox and install the
flash plugin.
Here's how I did it:

1) I got the latest version of Wine.
Quite recently I went to the Wine website for the
latest version, and I noticed it's a newer version
than the one in Adept. I looked at the change history
between the versions and saw all just bug fixes.
So I installed the newer version.
(I think I added the Wine website to my package sources
list and then used Adept...?)

2) I got the Win32 version of Mozilla Firefox.
I browsed to the Firefox download page in Konqueror and configured
Konqueror Browser Identification to be Internet Explorer on
Windows so that the Mozilla website diplays the Windows version
to download.

3) Then I ran the Firefox setup executable in the console:

wine "Firefox Setup 2.0.0.9.exe"

You should now have a Firefox icon to click. (I chose to
make one myself.)

Hope that helps,

Anton.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 AM
"Serg B"

Realistically, if you are using Konqueror as your primary web browser
you may as well go with IE7, at least you will be able to get
something done. I personally suggest ditching Konqueror as a web
browser and going with FireFox instead. Konqueror in my opinion is a
great all-round file manager utility, but it certainly has a long way
to go to compete with any modern day browsers.

Serg

Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Paul Lemmons

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
> don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer

I am sure others will suggest the same but use firefox instead.

apt-get install firefox

to install it.

I use it as my one and only browser. It does flash just fine. It works
excellently with Gmail and travel sites. Occasionally there is a bit of
trouble on some of the news video sites but even there I am beginning to
find it works without issue. I don't use Windows or IE at all and I
manage quite happily and without many compromises.