Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Paul Lemmons

Default Feeling like a 2nd class citizen

Anton Rolls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like the solution for you might be to
> install the win32 version of Firefox and install the
> flash plugin.
> Here's how I did it:
>
> 1) I got the latest version of Wine.
> <snip>

Ummm... there is a linux version of the flash plug in that works
flawlessly... save the wine for special occasions...

Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 AM
"Richard A. Johnson"

On Monday 26 November 2007, reuben firmin wrote:
| Does anybody on this list really use konqueror as their primary browser? Is
| there a good reason that kubuntu can't start shipping firefox in addition?
| It's all about the user experience, right? (BTW, I love konqueror, but
| strictly as a file manager / random-net-protocol client.)

I use Konqueror and only Konqueror. If I have to use a Windows box, I use IE 7
if I have to and never try to touch a Mozilla product unless it is absolutely
necessary, which 99.9% of the times, it isn't

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 11-27-2007, 05:19 AM
"Richard A. Johnson"

Forgot to add that I rarely run across problems with Konqueror. The only site
I have issues with is my banks website. At that time I will switch to
proprietary non-freeness stuff like Opera instead. I have also carried my
same Konqueror config in ~/.kde for more than 5 years, it has just been
updated a bit as I go.

This on on x86 and x86_64, no problems except for one site that I visit.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Juan Carlos Torres

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 11:21:34 am reuben firmin wrote:
> Does anybody on this list really use konqueror as their primary browser? Is
> there a good reason that kubuntu can't start shipping firefox in addition?
> It's all about the user experience, right? (BTW, I love konqueror, but
> strictly as a file manager / random-net-protocol client.)

I use Konqueror for file management, web browsing, FTP, and quick previewing.
It's my web browser of choice. It's is very rare that I come across a website
that is 100% broken on Konqueror, and for those rare occasions I do use
Firefox. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Why not ship Firefox by default? I can only think of 3 possible reasons:

1. emphasis on KDE (this is very important to me)
2. one app per category (you might say both D3lphin and Konqueror are file
managers, but with D3lphin as the default file manager, Konqueror becomes the
default web browser)
3. CD space (although I'm not sure how much space Firefox and dependencies
take up).

Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I know I probablly shouldn't be posting this to both lists, but I couldn't
> figure out which one would be better to post to.
>
> I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
> don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.
>
> I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
> have lived to accept it, but it is other sites that I am getting sick of
> trying to deal with.
> I can to a page, an example being Facebook, and not get all of the images
> or all of the links to work. I go to a travel site to book airplane
> tickets and get to use the "basic" settings, I go to a page and am told
> flash is not installed when I do have the non-free version of flash
> installed or even better I click on a link and nothing happens until I
> click on the link 3 or 4 times and finally the "gear" starts spinning and
> I get the page I want. Another fun problem is when I increase the font
> size the text blurs together and I can't read it.... or go to a page that
> has a form and the text runs into the form so I don't really know what I'm
> filling out.
>
> Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
> should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
> there.

Like so many others have suggested I use Firefox as my main browser
though I occasionally find a site where Konq works better. If you
absolutely need Internet Explorer maybe you should check out IEs4Linux
though I dont know how that works myself:
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Sinclair

Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Anton Rolls

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Ummm... there is a linux version of the flash plug in that works
> flawlessly... save the wine for special occasions...

Ah thanks, I didn't know that.

Regards,

Anton.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Graham

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:41:51 +0200
"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like so many others have suggested I use Firefox as my main browser
[snipped]

Good advice, but I prefer Opera, which meets my needs better.

To start with, it has an in-built mail application for replying to web
mailto: tags. You CAN get Firefox to do the same with Thunderbird, but
in Opera its a breeze. And next, it has a really good inbuilt
bittorrent downloader.

It is faster to start up, and has a number of security features.

http://www.opera.com/download
--

Graham Todd

Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Krzysztof Lichota

reuben firmin napisaƂ(a):
> Does anybody on this list really use konqueror as their primary browser?
> Is there a good reason that kubuntu can't start shipping firefox in
> addition? It's all about the user experience, right? (BTW, I love
> konqueror, but strictly as a file manager / random-net-protocol client.)

I am using Konqueror for all _serious_ browsing - searching developer
information on net, internet banking, etc. It just happens that all
important sites are standards compliant and do not use flash and other
fancy effects which do not work.

And I use Firefox for all the sites which have tons of flash, totally
unnecessary Javascript magic which checks what browser I am using and
broken HTML sites.

Krzysztof Lichota

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Bjarne Wichmann Petersen

On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
> should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
> there.

It's quite interesting to read the responses to your post. I've been using
Konqueror as my primary browser for the last 6-7 years. And I think it is
doing really well. Though once in a while I encounter a
non-standard-compliant (aka IE-only) website for which I then use Firefox.

So I'd say Konqueror is one of the best standard-compliant websites and
my "web-sphere" apparently consist of mostly standard-compliant websites! :-)

My wife though, preferes Firefox, since she visits a lot of IE-only websites.

Bjarne

Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Neil Winchurst

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:52:10 -0500 (EST)
"Jonathan Jesse" <jjesse@iserv.net> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I know I probablly shouldn't be posting this to both lists, but I couldn't
> figure out which one would be better to post to.
>
> I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser. I
> don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.

I would never use Konqueror as my main browser, in fact I don't use it
as a browser at all. I use Firefox most of the time, but occasionally I
use Opera. I also have Galeon set up.

Yes, just occasionally I find that a web site is written so badly that
only IE will work. My response is quite simple. I never go near that
site again.

Neil Winchurst