Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Valter Mura

Default Switching from Kmail2 to Thunderbird system on Oneiric 11.10

Hi All,

with regret, I can say I have tried everything for my poor system, but
it cannot afford such a heavy workload.

My System (very old with some updates): Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz / Ram: 1 GB /
Video Card: ATI 512 MB

History: I was coming from Natty 11.04 and Kmail-1. Everything was going
smooth. Not so fast, obviously. but I could also keep enabled the
desktop effects without problems. Swap (3 GB in total), when necessary,
increased up to 4/5% on total (I used to keep open Kmail, Amarok, rekonq
or FF, Lokalize at the same time). RAM on startup at abt 45/50%

My mail: 4 accounts (POP3) with a total of abt 40,000 mails (I deleted
the unneeded ones)

My system after the update started the migration to the new Kmail
system: it failed, but I succeeded to run it manually.
It started the migration and the SYNCHRONIZATION. From this moment on,
my system has been poorly overloaded, with no way to stop this hell (for
me) "machine" which is Akonadi and its agents: (my poor and old) CPU the
most of time at 100% of load, not for few hours but for DAYS, swap
increased up to 50% (!); RAM always at 80/90%; activities and actions
extremely slowed down.

Ok, I've been wrong in something. So I deleted my accounts, setup them
again, trying to "clean" the system (luckily, mail servers I use don't
delete mail by default).
Now I tried to setup Gmail as Imap: worst than ever. Kmail couldn't
afford folders/labels of this size (thousands of mails). I deleted the
Imap account and re-setup the POP3 one. No way to solve the huge
workload. And what about opening a mail folder? No way to do that,
unless after few hours.

Akonadi and mysql daemon seemed to be allied against my system.

As I cannot stay without my (previous) good system, because I
collaborate with various localization communities (specifically, KDE,
Kubuntu, LibreOffice, OmegaT, amongst them), I decided to DELETE my
accounts and ALL Akonadi resources in the system and to quickly setup
Thunderbird: Imap for Gmail (more than 100,000 mails in the server) and
POP3 for another account (with 8,000 mails in the server).

It obviously took some time to do that (but no more than half an hour
for download and synchronization), but everything went smooth (even if
TB integration in KDE is poor).

My system now: at startup RAM 50% / Swap 10% / CPU normal work
(presently fans resting and reading a book...

I had to "kill" manually this morning some akonadi activity and, again,
mysqld, but everything seems to go better now.

So, my wish is: not all systems are new and fast. In many countries
maybe many people still use old systems. In net-books this kind of
behavior is deprecated: nobody will use KDE 4.7.2 with Kmail2 and Akonadi.

I'm obviously not changing system, because I really like KDE and
Kubuntu, I WANT to use them and I managed to tune them for my needs even
if with some loss).

But I always wonder what would happen if an average user (as I am), the
day after upgrade, found a situation as described above. He/she would
change immediately system or call ?@!$&?@ the friend who suggested and
installed it.

I'm waiting for good news in this spaces...

In the meanwhile, sorry for the long post (and my bad English) and enjoy
the music

http://youtu.be/sF66R_cdqsQ

Ciao
--
Valter
*Open Source is better!*

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Mark Greenwood

Hi Valter,

I've had similar experiences, on a fairly new system (Core i5, 4GB RAM) … I have a very large collection of my photographs on two external USB disks and every time I boot the computer akonadi scans the disks, even though I've told it to ignore removable media (shame because I was hoping I could use it for fast search of my photos by tag etc) … it usually takes about 4 hours before my system is useable. KMail was also very slow with my large gmail accounts. For a while I worked around this issue by only ever using 'sleep' and not shutdown… but when this became impractical I'm afraid to say I bought a Mac… fast search and indexing works beautifully on there, and although Apple Mail is no KMail, at least it works.

Shame, because I think the philosophy behind akonaid is great, but it's been so long 'in the works' and still isn't reliable that my patience gave out.

Mark

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Ingo Ratsdorf

Well,

not that bad here, but probably similar situation with a 9 year old P4 Laptop with 2GB of RAM.
The workaround was easy in terminal: sudo chmod -x /urs/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_*
after I uninstalled strigi.

Now everything boots fast, emails are read fast, everything is much smoother, no unresponsive desktop, ...

Cheers,
Ingo

Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Valter Mura

not that bad here, but probably similar situation with a 9 year old P4 Laptop with 2GB of RAM.
The workaround was easy in terminal: sudo chmod -x /urs/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_*
after I uninstalled strigi.

Now everything boots fast, emails are read fast, everything is much smoother, no unresponsive desktop, ...

This sounds good to my ears...

I'll try it and forward it also in Kubuntu User List...

Ciao

Cheers,
Ingo

Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 22 Oct 2011, at 11:15, Valter Mura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received this answer, could be an usable way?
>
> Ciao

Oh now that is *really* cunning I suspect it would stop KMail from working though?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Valter Mura

I received this answer, could be an usable way?

Ciao

not that bad here, but probably similar situation with a 9 year old P4 Laptop with 2GB of RAM.
The workaround was easy in terminal: sudo chmod -x /urs/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_*
after I uninstalled strigi.

Oh now that is *really* cunning I suspect it would stop KMail from working though?

As I'm presently not using Kontact and Kmail, if they not solve the
situation, the problem shouldn't exist...

I'm really thinking to remove the entire PIM packet... for now.