Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Markus Slopianka

Default about kmail2 and UDS considerations

On Donnerstag 13 Oktober 2011 20:01:14 KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:

> This can't be justified by an "understaffed team", if so, just don't do it
> and users have to wait another year.

Yes, it can if there aren't even enough people to maintain two branches at the same time.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Dale Trombley

so, i just tried kmail 2 to help bugger it. *Got no problems here. *dunno what he's spoutin off about.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Clay Weber

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 09:06:52 PM Dale Trombley wrote:
> so, i just tried kmail 2 to help bugger it. Got no problems here. dunno
> what he's spoutin off about.

Did you try migrating kmail1 accounts and emails?

clay

Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Tres Finocchiaro

Despite the negative undertones of the OP, he is on-point with many concerns that -- from a large/corporate scale -- can be detrimental to the use of said product.
These concerns are probably very familiar for any fellow bug*submitter, and isn't unique to KDE SC or unique to Kubuntu for that matter. (i.e. *Gmail accounts not working OOTB with Empathy for nearly a year)* *

I hope the devel group steps back a moment and takes the good from this feedback. *Fortunately, from a Kmail perspective, I do not use KDE in a corporate environment. *I'm fairly certain that Luxotica does (Sunglass Hut, Oakley, Lenscrafter). *When peers are constantly pressuring the use of Outlook/Thunderbird/Lotus, there's little argument for "our" team.

-Tres
--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Old 10-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Ingo Ratsdorf

I tried migration, and NO, it did not work. In one instance I had to add all Akonadi resources and mail accounts back manually, in a second instance I had to delete the whole
Akonadi database and all akonadi settings first...

But hey, it worked and it's working since.

Cheers,
Ingo

Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Dan Chen

On Oct 13, 2011 10:07 PM, "Tres Finocchiaro" <fatbuttlarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope the devel group steps back a moment and takes the good from this feedback.

While I trust that there is good intent across the board in this thread, the tone is bitter and egotistical. "We" don't flourish (meaning advancing FOSS generally) when this approach rears its head. I've conversed with people who have resolved to step away from assisting "upstream" and "downstream"s alike based on these interactions, and I question if we don't *all* need to step back and check our motives at the door.

Metta,

-Dan

Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Dale Trombley

In all honesty no I didn't try migrating. I never really liked kmail. What I did test from kmail2 was setting new accounts. That part is lovely. And very well done.

Testing is frustrating when it seems nothing is getting done. I liked kmail2 enough to start using it. Sorry I have not tried the migration part

Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Rob Hall

Your lucky.. I've been battling with kmail2 since it was first added to the
kubuntu experimental ppa for Natty. My usage pattern is probably significantly
different to a lot of users and the shear quantity of email I receive is
probably a factor. For a start I use IMAPS connecting to a Kolab server which
hosts a lot of shared folders. Some of the folders hold in excess of 10K
emails. This is due to company policy which dictates a 6 month expiry on a lot
of emails such as logwatch reports and these can be quite large emails, so we
have quantity in numbers and size. I work remotely most of the time so I have
all mail cached localy.

Problems so far.

Migration from kmail - never got this to work and eventually just downloaded
all email again.
DB corruption - Akonadi/mysql managed to corrupt itself - redownload all email
(which can be a couple of days of a job).
Sent emails - disappearing into a black hole.
Performance - Opening large email folders can take an age. Go away make a
coffee and come back to PC age (and it's not a low spec PC but a dual quad core
with 16GB of RAM and a SCSI+SAS disc subsytem with hardware RAID).
Astonomical CPU Usage - Nepomuk using 300% CPU (ie 3 full CPU cores on an 8
core machine). Now disabled nepomuk but akonadi complains every boot.
Inactivity/lack of feedback - Press Check mail and have kmail2 do nothing. No
indication of anything happening, no error messages, no progress bars.. Zip..

kmail2/akonadi is not production ready in my case. Not even close. I've now
bitten the bullet and left kmail2 behind on my works account switching to
Thunderbird. I'll continue to use kmail2 on my personal account (Nepomuk
disabled) which seems to be behaving itself so far.

UnfortunatelyI haven't been able to reliably reproduce a lot of the issues so
I can't file useful bug reports upstream.

It annoys me when people state that part of the problem is a lack of manpower
when some of the recent commits to kmail2 have been adding features rather
than fixing the multitude of problems with the base project. Surely if kmail2
is that short of developers all hands should be bug fixing until it's
stabilised and new features should not be accepted into the codebase?

<markus.s@kdemail.net>wrote:
> > On Donnerstag 13 Oktober 2011 20:01:14 KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> > > This can't be justified by an "understaffed team", if so, just don't
> > > do
> >
> > it
> >
> > > and users have to wait another year.
> >
> > Yes, it can if there aren't even enough people to maintain two branches
> > at the same time.
> >
> > --

Rob Hall