Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Mark Fraser

Default Upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit) and encountered a few problems:

1) update-manager wasn't installed.

2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a password. I typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu 11.04, but was told that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking for?

*

Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit) and
> encountered a few problems:
>
> 1) update-manager wasn't installed.

Because that's the Ubuntu app, not the Kubuntu one. For Kubuntu, it'd
be kpackagekit --updates that normally installs your updates. Though
kpackagekit --help doesn't give an option for getting the development
version. This is probably since KPK isn't Kubuntu-specific (it's meant
to be used for RPM-based distros too), but now makes me wonder how
other Kubuntu users test the development version. I use "sudo
do-release-upgrade -d" but I suppose not everyone does... Might also
be a moot point now that Muon is replacing it in 11.10 (but does Muon
have such an option?)

> 2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a password. I
> typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu 11.04, but was told
> that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking for?

That's odd. Did you use gksudo/kdesu at the beginning of that command?

--
Mackenzie Morgan

Old 10-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:39:44 AM Mark Fraser wrote:
> I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit) and
> encountered a few problems:
> 1) update-manager wasn't installed.
> 2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a password. I
> typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu 11.04, but was told
> that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking for?

you can try either
update-manager-kde -d
or
do-release-upgrade -d

I don't know why your password isn't working, are you logged in to the account
it is associated with?

clay

Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:04:51AM -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:39:44 AM Mark Fraser wrote:
> > I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit) and
> > encountered a few problems:
> > 1) update-manager wasn't installed.
> > 2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a password. I
> > typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu 11.04, but was told
> > that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking for?
>
> you can try either
> update-manager-kde -d
> or
> do-release-upgrade -d

Even better

kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade

Jonathan

Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:04:51AM -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
>> update-manager-kde -d
>> or
>> do-release-upgrade -d
>
> Even better
>
> kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade

I know choice is supposed to be a good thing, but...this is a *little*
ridiculous.

--
Mackenzie Morgan

Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Harald Sitter

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:04:51AM -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
>>> update-manager-kde -d
>>> or
>>> do-release-upgrade -d
>>
>> Even better
>>
>> kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade
>
> I know choice is supposed to be a good thing, but...this is a *little*
> ridiculous.

Fullack.

Can we also get
apt-get release-upgrade
... so that people maybe start find it too? :P

regards,

Old 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Kristóf Kiszel

2011/10/11 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even better
>>>
>>> kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade
>>
>> I know choice is supposed to be a good thing, but...this is a *little*
>> ridiculous.
>
> Fullack.
>
> Can we also get
> apt-get release-upgrade
> ... so that people maybe start find it too? :P
>
> regards,

Just implement in apt-get dist-upgrade a random behaviour. Sometimes
it will install all updates, sometimes it will upgrade the release.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Kristóf Kiszel" <ulysses@kubuntu.org> wrote:

>2011/10/11 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>> I know choice is supposed to be a good thing, but...this is a
>*little*
>>> ridiculous.
>>
>> Fullack.
>>
>> Can we also get
>> apt-get release-upgrade
>> ... so that people maybe start find it too? :P
>>
>> regards,
>
>Just implement in apt-get dist-upgrade a random behaviour. Sometimes
>it will install all updates, sometimes it will upgrade the release.

No. It won't upgrade the release unless you've adjusted sources.list. Not random at all.

Scott K

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Mark Fraser

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 13:51:18 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Mark Fraser

> <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> > I've just tried upgrading my laptop from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (64 bit)

> > and encountered a few problems:

> > 1) update-manager wasn't installed.

> Because that's the Ubuntu app, not the Kubuntu one. For Kubuntu, it'd

> be kpackagekit --updates that normally installs your updates. Though

> kpackagekit --help doesn't give an option for getting the development

> version. This is probably since KPK isn't Kubuntu-specific (it's meant

> to be used for RPM-based distros too), but now makes me wonder how

> other Kubuntu users test the development version. I use "sudo

> do-release-upgrade -d" but I suppose not everyone does... Might also

> be a moot point now that Muon is replacing it in 11.10 (but does Muon

> have such an option?)

*

Would it be worth putting that on the Kubuntu pre-release websites so that it is clear how to upgrade? I tried searching yesterday, but either got Ubuntu instructions or links to pages that don't exist!

*

> > 2) upon running update-manager -d from Kicker, I was asked for a

> > password. I typed in the password I set up when I installed Kubuntu

> > 11.04, but was told that it was incorrect. Which password is it asking

> > for?

> That's odd. Did you use gksudo/kdesu at the beginning of that command?

*

The original instructions didn't mention anything about using kdesu or sudo, but I did try kdesu after pressing Alt-F2 and my password wasn't accepted.

*