Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Alex Fiestas

Default NetworkManagement in Oneiric

Hi there !

I'm here at Forge 2011 (Solid Sprint) with the NetworkManagement guys, so I
ask them if a 2 month old snapshot is "good enough", their answer was "Nope".

They have been in "bug fix mode" only since them, fixing crashes and
implementing basic network features (some of them related to security), so
when I ask them for a "commits we should to backport" they give me a looong
list full of crash fixes.

So, they recommendation of course to upgrade to a more recent snapshot, there
is quite a few people testing the HEAD of nm09 branch everyday so the basics
should be as stable as they are in the kubuntu snapshot.

I know that the update policy is strict on this regard and we are working to
fix the "We don't have releases" situation, but until then we should really
think on upgrading.

So, what do you think? can we upload a newer snapshot somewhere to test it ?
of course it doesn't have to be in the cd we can upgrade later once we know
that the new snapshot is rock solid.

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Dan Chen

On Oct 1, 2011 7:27 PM, "Alex Fiestas" <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi there !

> I'm here at Forge 2011 (Solid Sprint) with the NetworkManagement guys, so I

> ask them if a 2 month old snapshot is "good enough", their answer was "Nope".

> They have been in "bug fix mode" only since them, fixing crashes and

> implementing basic network features (some of them related to security), so

> when I ask them for a "commits we should to backport" they give me a looong

> list full of crash fixes.

> So, they recommendation of course to upgrade to a more recent snapshot, there

> is quite a few people testing the HEAD of nm09 branch everyday so the basics

> should be as stable as they are in the kubuntu snapshot.

> I know that the update policy is strict on this regard and we are working to

> fix the "We don't have releases" situation, but until then we should really

> think on upgrading.

> So, what do you think? can we upload a newer snapshot somewhere to test it ?

> of course it doesn't have to be in the cd we can upgrade later once we know

> that the new snapshot is rock solid.

Given the lateness of the date (proximity to release), I tend toward not changing what's currently in the Oneiric archive unless there's a significant (critical) bug affecting the majority of desktop users that will be resolved by a newer snapshot. It makes sense to use a PPA now, and if there is a lower significance bug, target the snapshot toward oneiric-proposed.

Cheers,

-Dan

Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Oct 1, 2011 8:36 PM, "Dan Chen" <seven.steps@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given the lateness of the date (proximity to release), I tend toward not changing what's currently in the Oneiric archive unless there's a significant (critical) bug affecting the majority of desktop users that will be resolved by a newer snapshot. It makes sense to use a PPA now, and if there is a lower significance bug, target the snapshot toward oneiric-proposed.

Which is to say: we're in final freeze. At this point if it installs and runs and doesn't eat *too* many kittens, it ships. The list would be worth contemplating for SRUs.

Maco