-   -   Please test: strigi 0.7.6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/578301-please-test-strigi-0-7-6-a.html)

Achim Bohnet 09-21-2011 09:47 AM

Please test: strigi 0.7.6

Current strigi 0.7.2 in oneiric is hopelessly buggy and Oneiric
urgently needs 0.7.6. See comments

http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/nepomuk-what-comes-next-revised/

Fathi Boudra, thx a lot!, took the effort and created for oneiric 0.7.6
libstreams0 and libstreamanalyzer0 packages in

ppa:fboudra/kde

As with bluedevil before, please test and report back, here and or

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/strigi/+bug/854330

My tests/experience so far:

I've tried the packages and with a newly created user there was only
a very low cpu and io usage shown in top and iotop.

No noticeable slowdown of the desktop during indexing.

For my taste there too much cryptic output written to ~/.xsession-error
but that was the case with 0.7.2 too.

Achim

--
To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is
-- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com

Dan Chen 09-21-2011 11:46 AM

Please test: strigi 0.7.6

On Sep 21, 2011 5:48 AM, "Achim Bohnet" <allee@kubuntu.org> wrote:

> * * * *https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/strigi/+bug/854330

Seems much nicer locally as well with both an existing user account and a new one.

Cheers,

-Dan

Ingo Ratsdorf 09-21-2011 11:03 PM

Please test: strigi 0.7.6

Hi.

Not sure what the relation and interaction between Nepomuk and Strigi is, but some nepomuk task is still running at startup of KDE and is still using 100% system resources so you still have to sit back for 2 minutes and
watch your desktop being sluggish in response, if responsive at all...

The culprit is virtuoso-t, a child of nepomukservicestub, again a child of nepomukserver.
Has that anything to do with strigi?

Cheers,
Ingo

Achim Bohnet 09-22-2011 02:13 PM

Please test: strigi 0.7.6

On Thursday 22 September 2011 01:03:40 Ingo Ratsdorf wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Not sure what the relation and interaction between Nepomuk and Strigi is, but some

nepomuk in the 'interface' to put and query information about 'everything you can
imagine'. Strigi indexes the file system and feeds the information to nepomuk.
(dolphin, amarok, telepathy, digikam, KDE PIM ... also put/query data).
nepomuk uses the virtuoso database to store all those data.

> nepomuk task is still running at startup of KDE and is still using 100% system resources so you still have to sit back for 2 minutes and
> watch your desktop being sluggish in response, if responsive at all...
>
> The culprit is virtuoso-t, a child of nepomukservicestub, again a child of nepomukserver.
> Has that anything to do with strigi?

If the nepomukstrigiservice process is one of those consuming 100% then
yes, otherwise no.

As the main nepomuk developer is currently spending full time for bug fixing
(see http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/first-round-of-bug-fixes/ )
it's a very good idea to report your bug at bugs.kde.org.

Achim