Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Romain Perier

Default kwin-4.7.1-0ubuntu2~ppa1 needs testing

Evening,

Yesterday bulldog98 has packed and uploaded
kde-workspace-4.7.1-0ubuntu2~ppa1 into kubuntu-ppa/experimental.
This package contains an important performance related bugfix for kwin,
see
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/e142a1a142cbc8b87f021223e6abc947f456a7f9
.
This package needs testing before being moved to the archives. Please
test it and report any issues.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Romain

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 AM
Clay Weber

On Monday, September 12, 2011 08:58:22 PM Romain Perier wrote:
> Evening,
>
> Yesterday bulldog98 has packed and uploaded
> kde-workspace-4.7.1-0ubuntu2~ppa1 into kubuntu-ppa/experimental.
> This package contains an important performance related bugfix for kwin,
> see
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-
workspace/repository/revisions/e14
> 2a1a142cbc8b87f021223e6abc947f456a7f9 .
> This package needs testing before being moved to the archives. Please
> test it and report any issues.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Regards,
> Romain

Installed and seems working with no issues so far (7 or 8 hours of casual use)

What sort of things should we be looking for, positive or negative?
Would it be something worth mentioning in kubuntuforums' 11.10 board to get
more testing?

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Dan Chen

On Sep 12, 2011 11:31 PM, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:

> What sort of things should we be looking for, *positive or negative?

Ditto. I normally have several dozen app/windows open, and the performance hitches I noticed before seem resolved. It would be nice to know which parameters to test, however.

Cheers,

-Dan

Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Harald Sitter

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Dan Chen <seven.steps@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2011 11:31 PM, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
>>
>> What sort of things should we be looking for, *positive or negative?
>
> Ditto. I normally have several dozen app/windows open, and the performance
> hitches I noticed before seem resolved. It would be nice to know which
> parameters to test, however.

From Martin's top secret mail:
> During working for an optimization in 4.8 we noticed that we do deep non-const vector copies where a const
> at() operation was expected. This means that we have in each frame:
> 4x+5xy unneeded copy operations
> (x == number of loaded effects)
> (y == number of windows).

So on a stock kubuntu desktop we have something like 15 effects
activated, additionally say you have a browser, a music player and a
chat window (mind you, plasma is also a window ) that means per
frame you get 4*15+5*4=80 copies of effects, if you get 15 frames per
second (which would be mostly enough to perceive the desktop as
responsive) that means 15*80=1200 copies. You probably do not have 15
but >40 frames per second that means 3200 copies. Now I actually
forgot what I wanted to write about...
Ah right, so, if you turn on *all* kwin effects (or at least those
that load on your system) and open as many windows a possible, kwin
should not feel overly sluggish (movement of windows, resizing etc.).
Also all effects that worked with the old package should still work
with the new one.

http://blog.fishsoup.net/2011/06/13/benchmarking-compositor-performance/

Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Romain Perier

> What sort of things should we be looking for, *positive or
negative?

Ditto. I normally have several dozen app/windows open, and the
performance hitches I noticed before seem resolved. It would be
nice to know which parameters to test, however.

Cheers,

-Dan

Just test that :

- Everything still works fine.

- There are no regressions

- Performances are better than before with a lot of effects loaded
and a lot of windows (the improvement done upstream is proportional
to the number of loaded effects and to the number of windows)

@Clay:* No it does not require to ask testing on kubuntuforums.

Regards,

Romain

Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 02:02:01 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Dan Chen <seven.steps@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 12, 2011 11:31 PM, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> >> What sort of things should we be looking for, positive or negative?
> >
> > Ditto. I normally have several dozen app/windows open, and the
> > performance hitches I noticed before seem resolved. It would be nice to
> > know which parameters to test, however.
>
> From Martin's top secret mail:
> > During working for an optimization in 4.8 we noticed that we do deep
> > non-const vector copies where a const at() operation was expected. This
> > means that we have in each frame: 4x+5xy unneeded copy operations
> > (x == number of loaded effects)
> > (y == number of windows).
>
> So on a stock kubuntu desktop we have something like 15 effects
> activated, additionally say you have a browser, a music player and a
> chat window (mind you, plasma is also a window ) that means per
> frame you get 4*15+5*4=80 copies of effects, if you get 15 frames per
> second (which would be mostly enough to perceive the desktop as
> responsive) that means 15*80=1200 copies. You probably do not have 15
> but >40 frames per second that means 3200 copies. Now I actually
> forgot what I wanted to write about...
> Ah right, so, if you turn on *all* kwin effects (or at least those
> that load on your system) and open as many windows a possible, kwin
> should not feel overly sluggish (movement of windows, resizing etc.).
> Also all effects that worked with the old package should still work
> with the new one.
>
> http://blog.fishsoup.net/2011/06/13/benchmarking-compositor-
performance/
In that case, it is all working well then No sluggishness here.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Rafael Belmonte

It is apparently working well also for me.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Alex Fiestas

So far so good for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Harald Sitter

I think we have enough feedback to move the patch into Oneiric.
Thank you everyone for testing

regards,

Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM

On Sri 14 rujna 2011. 11:36:35 Harald Sitter wrote:
> I think we have enough feedback to move the patch into Oneiric.
> Thank you everyone for testing
>
> regards,
Hi all!
This patch has been also backported to 4.6.5 so you could ship it to natty