Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default State of desktop file translations

Felix Geyer <debfx@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>On 12.09.2011 14:30, Harald Sitter wrote:
>> IIRC stripping is actually done by a fake package in the buildd which
>> will in an appropriate build environment (i.e. main archive buildd
>and
>> target is either main or restricted) execute the stripping as part of
>> some other dh_foo script. So I am not entirely sure a prevention of
>> stripping would be all that trivial right now. If someone could look
>> into that...
>
>Afaik pkgstriptranslations (which is part of pkgbinarymangler) removes
>the
>translations of desktop files if it has a Gettext-Domain key.
>So if we stopped adding that key it should leave the desktop files as
>they are.

Can someone check with pitti to make sure?

Scott K

Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Felix Geyer

> Can someone check with pitti to make sure?
>
> Scott K

He confirmed that pkgbinarymangler doesn't touch desktop files
unless they have a Gettext-Domain key.

Felix

Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, September 12, 2011 09:18:45 AM Felix Geyer wrote:
> > Can someone check with pitti to make sure?
> >
> > Scott K
>
> He confirmed that pkgbinarymangler doesn't touch desktop files
> unless they have a Gettext-Domain key.

Cool. Then I agree we should drop the Gettext-Domain key for the desktop files
and not strip them.

Thanks for checking,

Scott K

Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Harald Sitter

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2011 09:18:45 AM Felix Geyer wrote:
>> > Can someone check with pitti to make sure?
>> >
>> > Scott K
>>
>> He confirmed that pkgbinarymangler doesn't touch desktop files
>> unless they have a Gettext-Domain key.
>
> Cool. *Then I agree we should drop the Gettext-Domain key for the desktop files
> and not strip them.

Agreed.

Who wants to do it? Also translators need to be informed I suppose.

regards,
Harald