Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default Strigi by default?

I've had Nepomuk's Strigi integration for a while and it has the
pleasing feature of not getting in my way with excessive hard disk
usage. I find it occationally useful when searching for documents on
my hard disk. Dolphin now has nice integration for search. It takes
up less than 1GB of disk space for my 100GB of total usage. openSuse
has it on by default now after some releases without. Is it time to
turn it on by default in Kubuntu?

Jonathan

Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Steven Sroka

>On 10 August 2011 11:47, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I've had Nepomuk's Strigi integration for a while and it has the
> pleasing feature of not getting in my way with excessive hard disk
> usage. *I find it occationally useful when searching for documents on
> my hard disk. *Dolphin now has nice integration for search. *It takes
> up less than 1GB of disk space for my 100GB of total usage. *openSuse
> has it on by default now after some releases without. *Is it time to
> turn it on by default in Kubuntu?

A plus for enabling Strigi by default:
A lot of the nasty bugs, like high CPU usage, have gone away in 4.7
(or even late 4.6). It is very stable now.

Steve

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Markus Slopianka

Can it ship with default settings to index only ~/Documents and maybe ~/Desktop?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 AM
pansz

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s@kdemail.net> wrote:
> Can it ship with default settings to index only ~/Documents and maybe ~/Desktop?

~/Documents are not always this name, it depends on locale settings in
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR, there are lots of XDG dirs
there .

Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 03:48:19 PM Steven Sroka wrote:
> >On 10 August 2011 11:47, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I've had Nepomuk's Strigi integration for a while and it has the
> > pleasing feature of not getting in my way with excessive hard disk
> > usage. I find it occationally useful when searching for documents on
> > my hard disk. Dolphin now has nice integration for search. It takes
> > up less than 1GB of disk space for my 100GB of total usage. openSuse
> > has it on by default now after some releases without. Is it time to
> > turn it on by default in Kubuntu?
>
> A plus for enabling Strigi by default:
> A lot of the nasty bugs, like high CPU usage, have gone away in 4.7
> (or even late 4.6). It is very stable now.
>
> Steve
>
> > Jonathan

I have to concur, even though it is not nice with my ancient 8 year old
laptop, though I have not installed KDE 4.7 on it yet. it is much better on my
2008 laptop. More testing may be needed if there. are enough old-timey
hardware out there still, but those of us with such systems are usually well
aware of the limitations.

Turn it on!!
--
Clay Weber