Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default Moving our branches (again)?

Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>More spam, hi!
>
>So, I was just wondering about the uglyness of our branch naming. We
>have stuff like
>
>~kubuntu-packagers/kdeedu/ubuntu
>
>Now that is an ubuntu branch of kdeedu owned by kubuntu-packagers.
>Which really is not what the branch contains at all. If anything it is
>the packaging of kdeedu owned by kubuntu-packagers.
>
>General inquiry: what do you think about moving our branches once more
>into a form of:
>
>~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-packaging/kdeedu
>
>Advantages:
>* easier scriptable in various ways as changing stuff is at the end of
>the url
>* easier branching (currently if you branch and forget to specify a
>name or use nested branching you get a folder 'ubuntu')
>* overall clearer meaning
>
>Disadvantages:
>* yet another move
>* should we ever move the same branches to full-source packaging that
>would again break the sanity of the urls
>
>Quite honestly I myself do not have strong feelings either direction,
>but clearer urls certainly would be nice.

I think not messing with it further would be even nicer. I can see advantages, but I think it's not worth the trouble and confusion.

Scott K

Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Harald Sitter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> I think not messing with it further would be even nicer. I can see advantages, but I think it's not worth the trouble and confusion.

Ah just thought of another reason for changing: with the current setup
we need to register a new project everytime we introduce a new tracked
package, which is quite tedious WRT 4.7 (and even more so later for
5.x).

Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:12:16 AM Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > I think not messing with it further would be even nicer. I can see
> > advantages, but I think it's not worth the trouble and confusion.
>
> Ah just thought of another reason for changing: with the current setup
> we need to register a new project everytime we introduce a new tracked
> package, which is quite tedious WRT 4.7 (and even more so later for
> 5.x).

Agreed. That sounds like it might be worth changing again for.

Scott K

Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Philip Muskovac

I think not messing with it further would be even nicer. I can see
advantages, but I think it's not worth the trouble and confusion.

Ah just thought of another reason for changing: with the current setup
we need to register a new project everytime we introduce a new tracked
package, which is quite tedious WRT 4.7 (and even more so later for
5.x).

Agreed. That sounds like it might be worth changing again for.

Agreed as well. From the POV of us Project Neon maintainers there is
some sense in the Project as we can put our upstream import branches at
the right place. But for everyone else, creating a Project for every
packaging branch is probably pointless.

Philip

Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Philip Muskovac

Since nobody added anymore comments, should be move our branches again
Harald?

Would be nice to know that *before* we add anymore projects.

Philip

Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Harald Sitter

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Philip Muskovac <yofel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Since nobody added anymore comments, should be move our branches again
> Harald?

Seems we have consensus, so: hai!

> Would be nice to know that *before* we add anymore projects.

I'll create a packaging project in a bit and try to migrate stuff soonish.