Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Default new qt packages

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 13/04/2011, at 5:21 PM, ext Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 02:50:07 AM sarah.j.smith@nokia.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Who can help me out with information about getting new Qt packages in?
>>
>> I'm at the early stages of packaging a new Qt module - I expect that we'll
>> be looking at hopeful inclusion in Ubuntu late this year.
>>
>> The packages will require Ubuntu Natty or later since they depend on
>> libqt4-declarative and libqt4-opengl.
>>
>> I got the name of this mailing list from those packages, which list it as
>> the maintainer. Thus I guess this list is a hopefully good place to post
>> this query.
>>
>> The project is called Qt3D and we're currently working on a TP1 release for
>> May 20th this year.
>
> This is indeed a good place to start that discussion. Well soon release
> Natty. By the time your TP1 release is done we'll have started development of
> the next release, Oneiric. Here is the draft development schedule for that
> cycle:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricReleaseSchedule
>
> If we are going to include it, it would need to be mature enough to ship to
> end users by Feature Freeze, scheduled for July 21st, 2011.

At this point we're unlikely to make that date. We've got a number of devices to focus on. We have planned another release before the 1.0, which will target some device/s due out in early 2H 2011 - at present we're calling that release TP2. So I'm thinking our 1.0 release will likely be towards the end of the year.

Perhaps there is another release after Oneiric that we can target?

> Also, be aware that we only us GL on i386, amd64, and powerpc. On armel we
> ship GLES, so any package that makes direct GL calls isn't usable on that
> architecture.

Right. Our build system and OpenGL implementations take care of that. Qt3D cross compiles onto armel quite nicely.

I know one of our community has reported an issue with ppc so I may have to resolve that as well for 1.0 if we do get onto Ubuntu.

But this is looking promising and hopefully with plenty of time up our sleeves we can get it done.

I'll ping again on this list when we get our TP1 release out.

For that I'm hoping to have .deb's that can be downloaded manually from our ftp and installed from the command line onto an i386 Ubuntu Natty machine.

Rgds,

Sarah Smith
Senior Engineer Team Lead Qt3D
Nokia Qt Development Frameworks
Mobile: +61 448 283 476
sarah.j.smith@nokia.com

Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:54:28 AM sarah.j.smith@nokia.com wrote:
> On 13/04/2011, at 5:21 PM, ext Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > If we are going to include it, it would need to be mature enough to ship
> > to end users by Feature Freeze, scheduled for July 21st, 2011.
>
> At this point we're unlikely to make that date. We've got a number of
> devices to focus on. We have planned another release before the 1.0,
> which will target some device/s due out in early 2H 2011 - at present
> we're calling that release TP2. So I'm thinking our 1.0 release will
> likely be towards the end of the year.
>
> Perhaps there is another release after Oneiric that we can target?

We don't know the name yet, but there will be a 12.04 coming out a year from
now. Its feature freeze will be around January IIRC.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:54:28 AM sarah.j.smith@nokia.com wrote:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricReleaseSchedule
> >

> > If we are going to include it, it would need to be mature enough to ship
> > to end users by Feature Freeze, scheduled for July 21st, 2011.
>
> At this point we're unlikely to make that date. We've got a number of
> devices to focus on. We have planned another release before the 1.0,
> which will target some device/s due out in early 2H 2011 - at present
> we're calling that release TP2. So I'm thinking our 1.0 release will
> likely be towards the end of the year.
>
> Perhaps there is another release after Oneiric that we can target?

We should see if it makes sense to get the package in anyway. Sometimes it is
useful to package relatively early development releases to give them wider
exposure in the development community. We mostly need to make sure that the
developmental status of the package is appropriately described so people can
make an informed choice about using it.

There's always another release. It's name or schedule aren't set yet, but you
can add approximately 6 months to the dates in the Oneiric schedule to get a
general idea.

Scott K

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> There's always another release. *It's name or schedule aren't set yet, but you
> can add approximately 6 months to the dates in the Oneiric schedule to get a
> general idea.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PReleaseSchedule
Feature Freeze: 16 February

--