-   -   Kwin config for Gimp (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/500195-kwin-config-gimp.html)

Scott Kitterman 03-11-2011 06:44 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

On Friday, March 11, 2011 02:41:58 pm schmirrwurst wrote:

> Out of the box, gimp is quite unusable on kubuntu, the toolbox is always

> disappearing...

> I've searched the web, and found some work around kwin configuration, to

> allow normal usage of gimp. I think that config should be default on

> kubuntu... ?

What changes to you propose? It seems to work as well as anything else for me and I don't think I made any changes that would be specific to The Gimp.

Scott K

Mackenzie Morgan 03-11-2011 07:03 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM, schmirrwurst
<schmirrwurst@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Out of the box, gimp is quite unusable on kubuntu, the toolbox is always
> disappearing...
> I've searched the web, and found some work around kwin configuration, to allow
> normal usage of gimp. I think that config should be default on kubuntu... ?

Are you using the Netbook UI? GIMP has settings of its own for how
the toolbox utility window thingies get handled which you probably
need to change if you're in everything-is-maximised mode like with the
netbook UI.

--
Mackenzie Morgan

Tres Finocchiaro 03-11-2011 08:25 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

Out of the box, gimp is quite unusable on kubuntu, the toolbox is always
disappearing...
I've searched the web, and found some work around kwin configuration, to allow
normal usage of gimp. I think that config should be default on kubuntu... ?

I've noticed similar symptoms in Kubuntu 10.10, but I thought it was just me. �If its the same thing, the symptoms are alt-tab from, say, Chrome to Gimp doesn't always bring the tool boxes to the front, they linger behind everything and can't be clicked on. �I think my remedy today is to hit the tab key a few times to hide and reshow all dialogs. �This usually fixes it, but is very cumbersome.

-Tres
--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

"Emanuel Sprung" 03-11-2011 08:44 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

Btw: In gimp 2.8 will be a single-window-mode which allows you to handle
gimp in a single window :-)
This bypass the yet lack of different window parts.

To test the upcoming version you can install the ppa from:

https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn

and update your gimp to a development version which contains the
single-window-mode.

Am 11.03.2011, 20:41 Uhr, schrieb schmirrwurst

Arthur Schiwon 03-11-2011 10:35 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

On Friday 11 March 2011 22:44:38 Emanuel Sprung wrote:
> Btw: In gimp 2.8 will be a single-window-mode which allows you to handle
> gimp in a single window :-)
> This bypass the yet lack of different window parts.
>
> To test the upcoming version you can install the ppa from:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn
>
> and update your gimp to a development version which contains the
> single-window-mode.

This is not a solution, imho, only a workaround. The splitted-mode should work
as well. I wouldn't necessarily want to have all menues and tool boxes
cluttering the display, however they should be accessible when needed.

For me, it does not work with Tiling, too, dunno if this is related to my
settings, though.

Cheers
Arthur

Tres Finocchiaro 03-12-2011 12:53 AM

Kwin config for Gimp

https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn

and update your gimp to a development version which contains the

single-window-mode.

From the Gimp site:

There are two big obstacles in our way right now: missing specification on the last change in user*interface and broken graphic tablets support in GTK+. *...

*
... We have already invested a lot of time into UI changes and brush dynamics, we treasure your continuous support for the project and thus we are determined to release v2.8 only when it's working out of box as expected for everybody.

If this is (for example) a 6-12 month effort, can the OP's suggestions be worth investigating?
-Tres
--
- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

schmirrwurst 03-12-2011 09:45 AM

Kwin config for Gimp

I don't know much about it, but I know there are application specific settings,
and window specific settings in kwin... I thought that, mixed with gimp window
settings, they might be a solution to have it working correctly ?
I that case it would be possible to add these settings by default in the
ubuntu packages...

If the only solution at the moment, is to setup gimp as single window, then
again perhaps it shoud be setup by default in ubuntu ?

It is definitly not a 12 month effot worth, but I can't believe it the only way
?

On the other hand, every newbie, will find in the internet, that he better has
to use Gimp for image processing, and if he installs it on kubuntu, He will
have a product, that is not pratical (to not say not usable) at all.
If every novice user has to search the web for ours, and make customs
settings, only to not have the toolbox disappearing everytime, than I think he
will just give away, and startup windobe again.
This problem remains already since a couple of years...

Le samedi 12 mars 2011 02:53:21, Tres Finocchiaro a crit :

Scott Kitterman 03-12-2011 01:33 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

On Saturday, March 12, 2011 05:45:03 am schmirrwurst wrote:

> On the other hand, every newbie, will find in the internet, that he better

> has* to use Gimp for image processing, and if he installs it on kubuntu,

> He will have a product, that is not pratical (to not say not usable) at

> all. If every novice user has to search the web for ours, and make customs

> settings, only to not have the toolbox disappearing everytime, than I

> think he will just give away, and startup windobe again.

> This problem remains already since a couple of years...

Would you please provide an explicit description of exactly what problem you are having? I still don't know what the problem is. Attach a screen shot to the message if that will help make it clear.

Scott K

"Francisco T." 03-12-2011 01:53 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

For example:
http://img861.imageshack.us/i/gimpkwin.png/

I have that problem frequently. I can not use gimp if I have more windows on
the same desktop.

El Sbado 12 Marzo 2011 15:33:13 Scott Kitterman escribi:

--
Francisco T.

Yuval Levy 03-12-2011 02:02 PM

Kwin config for Gimp

On March 12, 2011 09:33:13 AM Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Would you please provide an explicit description of exactly what problem
> you are having?

* start Gimp from the K menu. It will open three windows: the main window,
the toolbox window and the layers window.
* switch to another application that covers those windows with ALT+TAB
* switch back to Gimp with ALT+TAB

expected behavior: the three windows listed above come to the forefront

observed behavior: only the main window comes to the forefront

this is on Natty. Also on Natty the three windows are not condensed into a
single entry in the menu bar. IIRC, Lucid condenses them into a single entry
but exhibit the same behavior so the user is even more confused by the
disappearing windows. I don't have access to my Lucid workstation to test
this now.

HTH
Yuv