Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Default quickaccess widget - please adjust to KDE 4.6 (code available)

Hi

Is there a chance that the quickaccess widget which sits as default widget in the Kubuntu panel will be adjusted to the KDE version?

Since KDE 4.5 it is possible to set the max. panel icon size via systemsettings. KDE-internal widgets like trash have been fixed by the KDE devs so that their icons increase in the panel when the panel grows in height. Alas the quickaccess widget is missing this code so it stays at tiny max. 32x32 even if the panel is 128 pixel high.

I looked into the code of the trash widget and could separate the necessary code snippet via diff. I added it to the quickaccess widget and it works flawlessly, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plasma-widget-quickaccess/+bug/630879 (diffs and screenshots before/after).

It would be great if this code finally would make it into Natty Narwhal, because quickaccess is a default widget in Kubuntu and it does not only look ugly to have a tiny folder icon floating in the center of a huge panel but it's also a usability issue for people with not so good eyes.

Thanks.

Best,
Susan

Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Markus Slopianka

QuickAccess is unmaintained. Even the fork that was once created is unmaintained.
I would suggest that someone with close connections to KDE (Harald, Aurelien, Jonathan?)
uploads the sources to KDE's git server. Then everyone with commit access can add
occasional updates.
Maybe you could even apply for commit rights and maintain it.

Markus

Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Markus, I am no coder. I managed to make diff identfy the necessary code in another widget and to luckily find a place in the source of the quickaccess widget to copy it to so that it works - but I don't understand anything of what's going on in the source code, so it would be pointless if I would presume to try to maintain it - and git is all Greek to me whenever I look at it ... I'm just a user who likes to contribute with some art, bug reporting and newbie support, desperate enough to touch the code of the widget without knowing what I'm doing.

But if that's the only way to keep it alive and to get the code into it: how to apply for commit rights?

Susan

Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Giuseppe Pennisi

But remove the *unsupported* quickaccess and replace with trash widget?
In Kubuntu is not present a quick access to trash and (imho) the
choises are two, put the trash widget on the Desktop or in the Panel.
Instead is present an unmaintained widget. Strange!

Just my two cents

Giuseppe

Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM

It is a very good widget and I am very glad it is available and default in Kubuntu. It would be a big loss if it would be removed. The trash widget is another discussion.

I would be very glad if someone of the devs could get the adjusted code of the widget into git so that it can live on and stay in Kubuntu (in KDE 4.5ff compatible version). I'm sorry, I don't feel capable of doing it.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Scott Kitterman

bugzilla@kerridis.de wrote:

>It is a very good widget and I am very glad it is available and default
>in Kubuntu. It would be a big loss if it would be removed. The trash
>widget is another discussion.
>
>I would be very glad if someone of the devs could get the adjusted code
>of the widget into git so that it can live on and stay in Kubuntu (in
>KDE 4.5ff compatible version). I'm sorry, I don't feel capable of doing
>it.

What's not 4.5 compatible about it? I use it regularly on Maverick without issue with 4.5.

Scott K

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

> What's not 4.5 compatible about it? I use it regularly on Maverick without issue with 4.5.
>
> Scott K

It is ok when you use it in a panel that's not slightly higher than 32x32. When you drag the panel higher, the quickaccess widget icon stays at size 32x32 (that was the "normal" behaviour of widget icons in the panel before KDE SC 4.5). But when you use a higher panel because you are very much shortsighted, have other viewing problems or simply like a huge panel, then you end up with a tiny 32x32 quickaccess icon "floating" in the big panel whereas all other icons are bigger. I have a panel with icons in size 64x64, my friend has a panel with icons in size 80x80 and my father even uses a panel with icons ins size 128x128. The tiny quickaccess icon looks odd among the other big icons and is hard to see and to use.

Since KDE 4.5 you can set the maximum icon size for the panel in systemsettings. But the widgets need a special code snippet to be capable of following that setting.

Did you try to drag your panel height to e.g. 128x128 and set the panel icons size in systemsettings accordingly? You'll see, the quickaccess widget will stay at tiny 32x32. Also will the widgets for trash, show desktop and show dashboard given you have them in the panel. That is fixed by the KDE devs since 4.6, so the only widget icon missing this functionality is the quickaccess widget.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday, March 25, 2011 03:26:34 pm bugzilla@kerridis.de wrote:
> > What's not 4.5 compatible about it? I use it regularly on Maverick
> > without issue with 4.5.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> It is ok when you use it in a panel that's not slightly higher than 32x32.
> When you drag the panel higher, the quickaccess widget icon stays at size
> 32x32 (that was the "normal" behaviour of widget icons in the panel before
> KDE SC 4.5). But when you use a higher panel because you are very much
> shortsighted, have other viewing problems or simply like a huge panel,
> then you end up with a tiny 32x32 quickaccess icon "floating" in the big
> panel whereas all other icons are bigger. I have a panel with icons in
> size 64x64, my friend has a panel with icons in size 80x80 and my father
> even uses a panel with icons ins size 128x128. The tiny quickaccess icon
> looks odd among the other big icons and is hard to see and to use.
>
> Since KDE 4.5 you can set the maximum icon size for the panel in
> systemsettings. But the widgets need a special code snippet to be capable
> of following that setting.
>
> Did you try to drag your panel height to e.g. 128x128 and set the panel
> icons size in systemsettings accordingly? You'll see, the quickaccess
> widget will stay at tiny 32x32. Also will the widgets for trash, show
> desktop and show dashboard given you have them in the panel. That is fixed
> by the KDE devs since 4.6, so the only widget icon missing this
> functionality is the quickaccess widget.

In 4.5 this also happens with Kickoff and Showdesktop, so from the perspective
of 4.5 is not particularly out of place. For 4.6 it may not be ideal, but I
think complaining it's not compatible with newer KDE releases is a bit
overboard.

Scott K

Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM

> In 4.5 this also happens with Kickoff and Showdesktop, so from the perspective
> of 4.5 is not particularly out of place. For 4.6 it may not be ideal, but I
> think complaining it's not compatible with newer KDE releases is a bit
> overboard.
>
> Scott K

As I wrote: showdesktop was adjusted for KDE 4.6. But the kickoff icon resizes fine in 4.5 to 128x128 given you have the right icon size in systemsettings.

I admit the quickaccess widget still works as it should in KDE 4.5ff - when you define "work as it should" only as "displays the content of folders". But it is harder to use since 4.5 when you finally use the panel in the size you need. And it does not respect systemsettings' options. Plus: the necessary code so that it does is available, not only as a diff but as a whole working plasmoid source:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/QuickAccess+for+KDE+SC+4.5?content=134442

Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Valter Mura

In data sabato 26 marzo 2011 12:25:11, bugzilla@kerridis.de ha scritto:

> > In 4.5 this also happens with Kickoff and Showdesktop, so from the
> > perspective of 4.5 is not particularly out of place. For 4.6 it may not
> > be ideal, but I think complaining it's not compatible with newer KDE
> > releases is a bit overboard.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> As I wrote: showdesktop was adjusted for KDE 4.6. But the kickoff icon
> resizes fine in 4.5 to 128x128 given you have the right icon size in
> systemsettings.
>
> I admit the quickaccess widget still works as it should in KDE 4.5ff - when
> you define "work as it should" only as "displays the content of folders".
> But it is harder to use since 4.5 when you finally use the panel in the
> size you need. And it does not respect systemsettings' options. Plus: the
> necessary code so that it does is available, not only as a diff but as a
> whole working plasmoid source:
>
> http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/QuickAccess+for+KDE+SC+4.5?content=134
> 442

My experience with Quick Access on KDE 4.6.1 is that if I click on "Home/User"
inside it, I cannot get the list of folders/docs inside the directory (the
page is blank). After that, if I click on "View|Reload" the folders/docs
automagically appear.

I can consider it a bug.

Ciao
--