-   -   Symbol Characters In Password Causing Admin Popups To Fail (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/481933-symbol-characters-password-causing-admin-popups-fail.html)

Félim Whiteley 01-27-2011 04:07 PM

Symbol Characters In Password Causing Admin Popups To Fail

Hi Folks,

I've just rebuilt my system from full disk to only ecrypt home folder. I
obviously tried make a complicate password. It contains £$! characters and is
causing a few things to fail to accept it. Jockey wouldn't, gdebi-kde also and
neither would KPackageKit when I tried to add extra repos. Some do though
which is odd...

Taking a VERY rough guess it looks liek it might be the python wrapper apps
messing up the $... but then again I should try to second guess it ;)

Do you want bugs for each or are these all well know...

Cheers,

Félim

Giuseppe Pennisi 01-27-2011 04:20 PM

2011/1/27 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com>:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just rebuilt my system from full disk to only ecrypt home folder. I
> obviously tried make a complicate password. It contains £$! characters and is
> causing a few things to fail to accept it. Jockey wouldn't, gdebi-kde also and
> neither would KPackageKit when I tried to add extra repos. Some do though
> which is odd...
>
> Taking a VERY rough guess it looks liek it might be the python wrapper apps
> messing up the $... but then again I should try to second guess it ;)
>
> Do you want bugs for each or are these all well know...

I have the same problem and I have already subscribed this bug (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdesudo/+bug/400851 ). I
think this is a huge bug.

Félim Whiteley 01-27-2011 04:29 PM

Symbol Characters In Password Causing Admin Popups To Fail

Yeah I've just subscribed, I didn't find this earlier. I sidestepped it by
temporarily resetting my password... with ecrypt home though that means it
won't decrypt my home on next login without me doing the ecrypt password
change routine.. but obviously I want the symbols int here for the complexity
anyway.

So +1 on this being a huge bug...