Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Rohan Garg

Default Project Neon pre-alpha out now!

Hi!

Project Neon needs little or no introduction for those who have used it in the past.For those who*haven't*heard of it, it provides Nightly builds of KDE. Some time ago, the project was abandoned because of*maintenance*issues, and now its back with a bang.Sort of, read on to find out .

For the past 5-6 months we have been trying to ressurect Project Neon [0], and we have been partially*successful, for most part the base packages which are required to run KDE are in the PPA, more info on what packages are available are here [1]. Most of these packages have been compiled with all build dependencies satisfied with the exception of KDE Bindings which is still being packaged.Even the Qt packages have been taken from the kde-qt branch.

Note that Neon is currently in a pre-alpha condition and might not work for you at a particular time, this might be due to issues in KDE itself or our packaging.If you find a packaging issue, please report it on launchpad against the Neon PPA ( using the ubuntu-bug tool ) and any KDE bugs go into the KDE Bug tracker.

Some of the current issues we face [2]. You can also expect Project Neon to be completely broken during KDE's move to git, please give us some time to fix our imports after the migration is over.

I'd like to warn you again that these are pre-alpha builds and should be installed only by the adventurous and brave hearted.The packages are installed in /opt/project-neon leaving your main system unharmed, and also gives you the*flexibility*to remove them without fear of removing any stable KDE packages.

Install instructions : Step 1) Add the Project Neon PPA with : sudo add-apt-repository ppa:/neon/ppa

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * Step 2) sudo apt-get update

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * Step 3) sudo apt-get install project-neon-all [ to install the complete KDE SC release, except for bindings which are being worked upon at the moment ] OR sudo apt-get install*** * * * * * * * * * * * **** * * * * * * * * * * * * **

** * * * * * * * * * * * * **project-neon-base ( should be available in a few hours )

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * Step 4) Logout of Stable KDE > Choose Project Neon in KDM > Login with your username and password. All your Project Neon settings are stored in a seprate folder away from * * * * * * * * * * * * **

** * * * * * * * * * * * * *** * * * * **your stable KDE ~/.kde folder

Have fun testing these pre-alpha builds!

[0]*https://launchpad.net/~neon/+archive/ppa

[1]https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/ProjectNeon/Packaging?highlight=(ProjectNeon)*

[2]*https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/ProjectNeon/Issues

RegardsRohan GargRegardsRohan Garg

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Tried it today, works perfectly.

I don't see why this shouldn't be advertised to the wider KDE
developer community already. It's never going to be entirely stable
being an unstable crack-of-the-day project. The known issues are well
documented and developers can chose to live with them or not.

As far as I see
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Using_Project_Neon_to_contribute_to_KDE
should be finished off then it should be announced on Dot/blogs etc.

Jonathan