Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Proposals for Natty from Ubuntu Italian User

Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share with you what we would like to see in Natty. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about it? Thanks, regards.

1) plymounth theme with the same color of KDE theme.*

2) Kubuntu developers want ship the artwork of KDE without changes, it's ok for us, but please, can you replace at least the kickoff icon with the Kubuntu logo?
It's just a little change in the artwork and users are asking for long time now.

3) kde minor release on the official repository
4) folder preview of the image folder by default in dolphin
5) kipi-plugins by default: kubuntu website shows them, but they aren't installed by default

6) Ship kaffeine or vlc by default instead of dragon player
7) a faster installer, if possible

8) can you add acpi-support-base package? (eeepc-acpi-scripts depend from it)

9) package for install root action (dolphin installer menu doesn't work, it's a bug?)

thanks a lot
ubuntu italian users

Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Rohan Garg

Hi*maggsimo

Out of these points, point 3) has already been implemented starting from Lucid. Please see [1]*https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy

Points 5,6 and 8 would probably increase the size of the CD so it might not be possible, but then again, there's the possibility that there will be lzma compression on the ISO's which can help us in terms of what we can offer on the CD.

RegardsRohan Garg

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Alessandro Ghersi

I'm reading the Italian forum, they are wondering where KDE 4.5.5
is.

If it was not clear, they asked in their email if it's possible to
have minor release of KDE (i.e. 4.5.5) in the official repo* and not
just in a ppa.

They know that KDE 4.4.5 was uploaded to Lucid in December, I think
they think that this process is too slow,

since KDE 4.4.5 was due on June and they are using Maverick now.
This probably mean that when we upload KDE 4.5.5 in the official
repo for Maverick they will be already using Natty with KDE 4.6

Point 5, yes, this would probably increase the size of the CD, but
we should put kipi-plugins in the seed or we should change the
screenshot here: http://www.kubuntu.org/feature-tour#feature-tour-apps-graphics

That's what they meant.

Cheers

Alessandro

Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Simone Maggiani

Thanks Rohan Garg and Alessandro for reply.

yes Alessandro, this is the problem.

1) when kubuntu team release package of minor relase on the official repo, kubuntu user used the nex major release from the ppa.

can you release them faster?

or is a problem?

2) kubuntu site write that whit kubuntu we can share and modify image from start, but it is false.

without kipi-plugins we can't make them.

this is a problem for user's expectations and user's experience.

can you find a space on the cd?

or add a install option on the ubiquity installer?

or add an install to the desktop (in example firefox installer)

Regards,

Simone Maggiani

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, January 22, 2011 03:40:22 pm maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> 3) kde minor release on the official repository

This has been done for Lucid and will be done for Maverick shortly. It was
only recently that we got permission for the Ubuntu technical board to put
point releases in the official repositories.

Scott K

Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Jonathan Riddell

On 22 January 2011 20:40, <maggsimo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) plymounth theme with the same color of KDE theme.

It's blue, what colour should it be?

> 2) Kubuntu developers want ship the artwork of KDE without changes, it's ok
> for us, but please, can you replace at least the kickoff icon with the
> Kubuntu logo?

This would remove upstream's branding which is something upstream
don't want us to do (understandably). KDE provides a space for distro
logo in the kickoff menu which we use.

> 3) kde minor release on the official repository

This is quite time consuming because it requires a lot of QA, and
doesn't provide much benefit because the packags are already available
in a PPA. But Scott has said he wants to do it.

> 4) folder preview of the image folder by default in dolphin

Upstream aren't keen on this, I think because it might slow it down
and take up disk space. But I would prefer it. I'll see if I can
turn it on for the next alpha.

> 5) kipi-plugins by default: kubuntu website shows them, but they aren't
> installed by default

Our CDs are currently oversized so we can't add anything more to them.

> 6) Ship kaffeine or vlc by default instead of dragon player

kaffeine doesn't use Phonon so features such as USB headphones don't
work. vlc has a very confusing UI.

> 7) a faster installer, if possible

The installer uses debian-installer which talks to debconf and that
limits the speed between pages.

> 8) can you add acpi-support-base package? (eeepc-acpi-scripts depend from
> it)

Neither of these packages exist in natty

> 9) package for install root action (dolphin installer menu doesn't work,
> it's a bug?)

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain what the "dolphin
installer menu" is?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jonathan

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Giuseppe Pennisi

Ih, I'm an Italian User that with maggsimo and others has raised this issues.

Here is my opinion:

>2011/1/24 Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com>
>
> On 22 January 2011 20:40, *<maggsimo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) plymounth theme with the same color of KDE theme.
>
> It's blue, what colour should it be?

Can you say that playmouth has the same color palette of KDMKDE?
Can you say there's uniform colors between playmouth and KDMKDE?
Ok, is blu but Mother Nature allows us to see different shades of color.

> > 2) Kubuntu developers want ship the artwork of KDE without changes, it's ok
> > for us, but please, can you replace at least the kickoff icon with the
> > Kubuntu logo?
>
> This would remove upstream's branding which is something upstream
> don't want us to do (understandably). *KDE provides a space for distro
> logo in the kickoff menu which we use.

Ok, this is reasonable and I understand but why all the major distros
change the kickoff icon?
Is not a polemical but I like to know. :-)

> > 3) kde minor release on the official repository
>
> This is quite time consuming because it requires a lot of QA, and
> doesn't provide much benefit because the packags are already available
> in a PPA. *But Scott has said he wants to do it.

Thank you Scott. I hope in your works.
In fact, use the PPA for system updates is not always a good choose
because the "normal" users don't know that there may be not official
repository that make updates.
The users expect to happen automatically without add extra repository.
It is doubtful that the "normal" user visits regularly the Kubuntu
site.

> > 4) folder preview of the image folder by default in dolphin
>
> Upstream aren't keen on this, I think because it might slow it down
> and take up disk space. *But I would prefer it. *I'll see if I can
> turn it on for the next alpha.

OK, Thank you very much.

> > 5) kipi-plugins by default: kubuntu website shows them, but they aren't
> > installed by default
>
> Our CDs are currently oversized so we can't add anything more to them.

Is possible to do something similar to kubuntu-firefox-installer?
Kubuntu website shows them, but they aren't installed by default. This
is strange for me.

> > 6) Ship kaffeine or vlc by default instead of dragon player
>
> kaffeine doesn't use Phonon so features such as USB headphones don't
> work. *vlc has a very confusing UI.

Ok, I understand for kaffeine but not for VLC.
It's strange to say that VLC has a very confusing UI when instead this
is the most used opensource multimedia player.
All users install VLC because it is the only player that offers the
best experience and the best features that a modern multimedia player
must have.
Dragon player can't guarantee this.

> > 7) a faster installer, if possible
>
> The installer uses debian-installer which talks to debconf and that
> limits the speed between pages.

Ok, I understand. So you can not do anything?

> > 8) can you add acpi-support-base package? (eeepc-acpi-scripts depend from
> > it)
>
> Neither of these packages exist in natty
>
> > 9) package for install root action (dolphin installer menu doesn't work,
> > it's a bug?)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain what the "dolphin
> installer menu" is?

About 8 and 9 items, maggsimo may better respond to you because he
knows better the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Giuseppe

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Sam Rog

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:45:51 +0000
> Subject: Re: Proposals for Natty from Ubuntu Italian User
> From: jriddell@ubuntu.com
> To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On 22 January 2011 20:40, <maggsimo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) plymounth theme with the same color of KDE theme.

...clip....
> I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain what the "dolphin
> installer menu" is?
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Jonathan

I think that there are two problems.

1) The Dolphin has installation option: Dophin > Configure Dolphin > Services > Download New Services.
The Install/Download New services is using script /usr/bin/servicemenuinstallation. The script needs ruby to work. The ruby is not installed as default with the Natty Alpha 1. Adding a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/706900. This is same as the Archlinux bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18140.

2) The ruby servicemenuinstallation script is looking an installation script from the servicemenu package. The Rootactions servicemenu dont't have an installation script but it has good installation instructions. If you browse to the http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Root+Actions+Servicemenu?content=48411 or read the README file (48411-rootactions_servicemenu_2.6.90.tar.gz).

Take care,
Rog131.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Simone Maggiani

>>I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain what the "dolphin

>>installer menu" is?

1) The Dolphin has installation option: Dophin > Configure Dolphin > Services > Download New Services. The Install/Download New services is using script /usr/bin/servicemenuinstallation. The script needs ruby to work. The ruby is not installed as default with the Natty Alpha 1. Adding a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/706900. This is same as the Archlinux bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18140.

This is the problem.

thanks to Rog131

>It's blue, what colour should it be?

the same blue of kdm.

not a blue, but the kdm's blue.

>This would remove upstream's branding which is something upstream

>on't want us to do (understandably).**KDE provides a space for distro

>lgo in the kickoff menu which we use.

Who? kde's eam?

it's only the kickoff icon, only a small change.

>Neither of these packages exist in natty

this: eeepc-acpi-scripts exist in maverick, but i can't install it because it depends from acpi-support-base package that doesn't exist.

have you remove them from natty repo?

>Our CDs are currently oversized so we can't add anything more to them.

ok, no problem, but why kubuntu site write (http://www.kubuntu.org/feature-tour#feature-tour-apps-graphics)

"Share everything everywhere, with a click"

i can't share my picture without kipi-plugins

thanks for reply,

Simone