Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default Micha Zajc's for kubuntu-dev

Michal Zajac applied to be kubuntu-dev

He went through a grilling at the Kubuntu meeting on wednesday
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/01/12/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t18:38

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/MichalZajac/KubuntuDevApplication

kubuntu-dev people: please review the application, ask any questions
you have, then let's vote.

Jonathan

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Friday 14 January 2011 07:39:35 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Michal Zajac applied to be kubuntu-dev
>
> He went through a grilling at the Kubuntu meeting on wednesday
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/01/12/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t18:38
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/MichalZajac/KubuntuDevApplication
>
> kubuntu-dev people: please review the application, ask any questions
> you have, then let's vote.

+1

> Jonathan

Jonathan

Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Alessandro Ghersi

Hi Michal,
3 questions, can you tell me why we have symbol files in our library
packages, why we should

update those files and how ?

Alessandro

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Michal Zajac

1. Why do we have them? I think it is because they maintain correct versioning of newer versions of shared libraries which are used by binaries that use them on run-time

2. Why it's worth to update them? Normally when library removes something which makes packages depending on the older version break upstream should bump the SOVERSION and we would bump the name of the package. The symbols files are maintaining correct versioning of shared libraries which are used by binaries on run-time (so if they add something new, there are usually no problems with the old packages). I think if for some wierd reason upstream doesn't bump the soversion we would know it's binary backwards incompatible already at the packaging stage

3. How to update? From my experience each time there were any changes to the symbols files I got a diff spewd out by dpkg-gensymbols which had to be applied to appropriate *.symbols file in packaging directory (debian/)