Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default GStreamer Testing

We're minded to switch to GStreamer for Natty. We need it on the CD
anyway because QtWebKit uses it. I've changed the natty seeds to
install it so we can get testing at alpha 1 next month. So please test
phonon-backend-gstreamer on maverick or natty and let us know how it
works for you by reporting here

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/NattyGstreamerTesting

Jonathan

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Valorie Zimmerman

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We're minded to switch to GStreamer for Natty. *We need it on the CD
> anyway because QtWebKit uses it. *I've changed the natty seeds to
> install it so we can get testing at alpha 1 next month. *So please test
> phonon-backend-gstreamer on maverick or natty and let us know how it
> works for you by reporting here
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/NattyGstreamerTesting
>
> Jonathan

I will post on the wiki page, but I'd like to ask that the necessary
Gstreamer codecs be included in Kubuntu-restricted-extras. I thought I
was covered, and never suspected that my gst crashes had anything to
do with missing codecs! Oh, I had -good installed, but that wasn't
enough to play mp3s in Amarok.

If gst is going to be our main phonon backend, then surely its needed
codecs should be installed easily?

Valorie

--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Harald Sitter

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman@gmail.com> wrote:
> If gst is going to be our main phonon backend, then surely its needed
> codecs should be installed easily?

Kubuntu may get a snapshot from phonon-gst git master and make a new
package from that, then ensure the phonon-gst package recommends
gstreamer0.10-packagekit and all phonon apps will be able to ask for
appropriate codecs as with changes from earlier today.

regards,
Harald