Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Rodrigo Belém

Default Split kdebase-workspace-bin into more packages

Hello everybody,

I've been working to reduce the size and dependencies of
kubuntu-mobile. One of the villains of the image being large is the
package kdebase-workspace-bin. How could we split it? Creating another
package, e.g. kdebase-workspace-minimal-bin, with just the minimal
requirements?

Thanks,

Rodrigo Belem.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, November 01, 2010 04:37:06 pm Rodrigo Belém wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've been working to reduce the size and dependencies of
> kubuntu-mobile. One of the villains of the image being large is the
> package kdebase-workspace-bin. How could we split it? Creating another
> package, e.g. kdebase-workspace-minimal-bin, with just the minimal
> requirements?

What are the minimal requirements for mobile?

Scott K

Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Monday, November 01, 2010 04:37:06 pm Rodrigo Belém wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've been working to reduce the size and dependencies of
> kubuntu-mobile. One of the villains of the image being large is the
> package kdebase-workspace-bin. How could we split it? Creating another
> package, e.g. kdebase-workspace-minimal-bin, with just the minimal
> requirements?

This is also a request of the Edubuntu team. Edubuntu includes KDE-Edu, which
manages to pull in kdebase-workspace-bin, resulting in Edubuntu users (who are
using GNOME with a few KDE apps on top) having full-blown Kubuntu sessions
installed and being asked about some gdm & kdm things they don't remember
installing every time they upgrade to a new release.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://mackenzie.morgan.name

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Mackenzie Morgan" <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, November 01, 2010 04:37:06 pm Rodrigo Belém wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I've been working to reduce the size and dependencies of
>> kubuntu-mobile. One of the villains of the image being large is the
>> package kdebase-workspace-bin. How could we split it? Creating
>another
>> package, e.g. kdebase-workspace-minimal-bin, with just the minimal
>> requirements?
>
>This is also a request of the Edubuntu team. Edubuntu includes KDE-Edu,
>which
>manages to pull in kdebase-workspace-bin, resulting in Edubuntu users
>(who are
>using GNOME with a few KDE apps on top) having full-blown Kubuntu
>sessions
>installed and being asked about some gdm & kdm things they don't
>remember
>installing every time they upgrade to a new release.

Things like kdm getting pulled in can be fixed via package dependencies and don't require the library to be split. For this case the output of 'aptitude why kdm' on an affected system would be useful. If someone will put this in a bug (if it's not already) and point me at it, I can look into it.

Scott K

Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Rodrigo Belém

For know I know that it needs ksmserver and startkde. I will
investigate further and I will reply a more precise list.