Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Rafael Belmonte

Default partitionmanager in Live CD

Hello friends.
I want to open a discussion about including partitionmanager in the
Kubuntu Live CD. There have been some chatting about this on
#kubuntu-devel IRC and these conclusions were made:

In favor:
- A KDE partitionning tool would be very useful in the Live CD.

Against:
- partitionmanager is not a very tested application and this kind of
software like a partition manager should be reliable for us.

I can say that the few times I have used partitionmanager, it did its
work well, but, of course, more testing should be done in depth.
I offer myself to do some testing over partitionmanager, and open to
ideas to test or some testcases to run.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 PM
James Cain

FWIW, I have used Partitionmanager on every install (probably about 20) I've done lately. This has been both in Kubuntu and Linux Mint KDE. I have never had any problems or undesirable outcomes from use. I would like to also add that it is for obvious reasons a useful tool to have on a Live CD / DVD image.

I would love to see this in Kubuntu by default and do not see a partition management application as optional on a full install. Everyone has USB Sticks these days...
- James

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
David Wonderly

On Monday, November 01, 2010 11:28:18 am Rafael Belmonte wrote:
> Hello friends.
> I want to open a discussion about including partitionmanager in the
> Kubuntu Live CD. There have been some chatting about this on
> #kubuntu-devel IRC and these conclusions were made:
>
> In favor:
> - A KDE partitionning tool would be very useful in the Live CD.
>
> Against:
> - partitionmanager is not a very tested application and this kind of
> software like a partition manager should be reliable for us.
>
> I can say that the few times I have used partitionmanager, it did its
> work well, but, of course, more testing should be done in depth.
> I offer myself to do some testing over partitionmanager, and open to
> ideas to test or some testcases to run.

I would like to toss my +1 into this idea. When I use the LiveCD I normally
install it anyway but to have it as an option would be awesome. I've used it
quite a bit and I have yet to see any issues with it.

DW