Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Dexter Filmore

Default Running VMware6 on Feisty makes everything slow to a crawl

Posted this on user list, no response, possibly a kernel config thing so I'd
like to bring it up here:

Machine:
AthlonXP 3200+ @2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, nForce2 mobo.

Operating systems:

-Kubuntu 7.04 with 2.6.22 kernel backported from gutsy, X on free r300
-debian 4.0r2, kernel 2.6.18-k7, X on free r300
-Slackware 11, kernel 2.6.17.9 custom, X on ATi fglrx

VMware6 installed on all 3 OSses, all can access the same VMs, I used the same
WinXP on a 384MB RAM VM on all three environments, latest VMtools installed.

Results:
Slackware performs blazing fast, restoring the suspended XP takes 1 or 2
seconds before Windows responds, about 15-30 seconds before the VM is fully
restored. Suspend happens instantaneous, less than a second.
Can switch between VMware and other apps with neglectible performance impact.

Debian: similar, resume takes a little longer, up to about a minute, then
everything is smooth, suspend instantaneous as on Slackware.
Can switch between VMware and other apps with neglectible performance impact
as on Slack. Kaffeine, Opera with Java, Google Earth all running, all fine,
video encoder running in the VM.

Kubuntu: VMware complains that /dev/rtc is not available because it is used by
anothe application. lsof shows nothing accessing rtc. Hints on VMware site
unuseful: this cpu doesn't even have throttling.

Resuming the suspended WinXP VM takes between 4 and 5 minutes (!!).
The system performs afterwards as if it was runnign on 256MB and with L2 cache
diabled. Working impossible. Suspending the VM takes about 20-30 seconds.

Useful hints on where to investigate most welcome.

2.6.22 was backported to Feisty by me due to USB issues with the stock 2.6.20,
but tests show same behaviour with 2.6.20.

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Ahmed Osman

The AthlonXP is a single-core processor.

Try checking what is locking the file with fuser

Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Ahmed Osman

Not necessarily. He reports that running vmware in slackware/debian run
at a good speed, so I wouldn't say it's because it's a single-core.

Plus the fact that it's a single-core doesn't really say much either,
I've run vmware server on a 3Ghz P4 and had no trouble.

If he were having trouble running vmware period, I would say that the
single-core is probably a culprit.