FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM
András Csányi
 
Default LibreOffice

Hi All,

I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I
know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum
unsupported software part).

Thanks in advance!

ANdrás

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
 
Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Andrés Becerra Sandoval
 
Default LibreOffice

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,



I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I

know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum

unsupported software part).



Thanks in advance!



ANdrás



--

- -

--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi

--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell




Hello,
I have libreoffice-bin installed from rion overlay and it is working fine for the moment.*

--
* Andrés Becerra Sandoval
 
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default LibreOffice

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:05 on Friday 15 October 2010, András Csányi
did opine thusly:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I
> know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum
> unsupported software part).

It will go into portage when someone puts it there and it gets stabilised.

You want it there. So, when are you going to become a gentoo dev and commit
the first ebuild?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default LibreOffice

On Friday 15 October 2010, András Csányi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I
> know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum
> unsupported software part).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ANdrás

a) when there is a release?

b) 'libreoffice' - which is competing for the title 'most idiotic name ever' -
is based on go-openoffice. Gentoo already uses the go-openoffice patches.
 
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 PM
BRM
 
Default LibreOffice

----- Original Message ----

> From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com>
> b) 'libreoffice' - which is competing for the title 'most idiotic name ever' -
>
> is based on go-openoffice. Gentoo already uses the go-openoffice patches.

Based on what I read on the Document Foundation's website, I do not believe it
is based on Go-OOo at all; but that they just accepted the patches in
"mainline".
From their FAQ (http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/) - emphasis mine:


Q: What does this announcement mean to other derivatives of OpenOffice.org?
A: We want The Document Foundation to be open to code contributions from as
many people as possible. We are delighted to announce that
the enhancements produced by the Go-OOo team will bemergedinto LibreOffice,
effective immediately. We hope that others will follow suit.


Ben
 
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default LibreOffice

Am 15.10.2010 16:19, schrieb Andrés Becerra Sandoval:
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com
> <mailto:sayusi.ando@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I
>> know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum
>> unsupported software part).
>>
[...]
>
> Hello,
>
> I have libreoffice-bin installed from rion overlay and it is working
> fine for the moment.
>
[...]

There is also what looks like a source build (haven't tried it) in
geki-overlay.

Just out of curiosity: I thought LibreOffice is just a renamed
OpenOffice because of trademark issues with Oracle and not even the name
is fixed for the moment. Doesn't that mean that the OpenOffice ebuilds
will slowly migrate to LibreOffice, anyway? When I look at the version
number, OpenOffice is currently at 3.2.1 and LibreOffice from
geki-overlay at 3.2.99.1.
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default LibreOffice

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:30 on Friday 15 October 2010, Florian
Philipp did opine thusly:

> Am 15.10.2010 16:19, schrieb Andrés Becerra Sandoval:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com
> >
> > <mailto:sayusi.ando@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I would like to know when will be part of portage the LibreOffice? I
> >> know this is an unsupported software (I have found in Gentoo Forum
> >> unsupported software part).
>
> [...]
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have libreoffice-bin installed from rion overlay and it is working
> > fine for the moment.
>
> [...]
>
> There is also what looks like a source build (haven't tried it) in
> geki-overlay.
>
> Just out of curiosity: I thought LibreOffice is just a renamed
> OpenOffice because of trademark issues with Oracle and not even the name
> is fixed for the moment. Doesn't that mean that the OpenOffice ebuilds
> will slowly migrate to LibreOffice, anyway? When I look at the version
> number, OpenOffice is currently at 3.2.1 and LibreOffice from
> geki-overlay at 3.2.99.1.


LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.org. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Especially don't let Oracle tell you otherwise.

Read the press release on The Document Foundation's website for the truth.



--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Default LibreOffice

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 19:30 on Friday 15 October 2010, Florian
> Philipp did opine thusly:
>
[...]
>> Just out of curiosity: I thought LibreOffice is just a renamed
>> OpenOffice because of trademark issues with Oracle and not even the name
>> is fixed for the moment. Doesn't that mean that the OpenOffice ebuilds
>> will slowly migrate to LibreOffice, anyway? When I look at the version
>> number, OpenOffice is currently at 3.2.1 and LibreOffice from
>> geki-overlay at 3.2.99.1.
>
>
> LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.org. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
> Especially don't let Oracle tell you otherwise.
>
> Read the press release on The Document Foundation's website for the truth.

From what I've been reading, it is indeed a fork of OpenOffice which now
happens to have just the code from OpenOffice and go-oo.

But the future will tell us if there will be enough differences to
justify an ebuild. As it's now a different project, it's pretty possible
differences will arise.

It also depends on whether Oracle and go-oo will want to incorporate
changes from LibreOffice.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org