Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Tomasz Dudzik

Default Kubuntu CD Upgrade

Please implement a device action for KDE that will allow to easli run upgrade
to the next release of Kubuntu when user puts a CD to the drive.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Pan Shi Zhu

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Tomasz Dudzik <madsheytan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please implement a device action for KDE that will allow to easli run upgrade
> to the next release of Kubuntu when user puts a CD to the drive.

This is, generally impossible for ubuntu/debian based distributions.

Because ubuntu is a huge distribution which is more than 60GigaBytes.
the installation CD/DVD is only a tiny subset of the ubuntu
distribution itself and every installation of kubuntu or ubuntu are
"partial install".

After you had done your flavor of tiny installation (kubuntu CD could
be called a "flavor" of subset of the ubuntu), you almost always need
to install additions from a network called "ubuntu repository".

When upgrade, you get a CD which contains only a tiny subset of the
whole ubuntu, and many packages cannot get upgraded from CD if you do
not have internet access to ubuntu repository.

If you do have direct internet access to ubuntu repository, it seems
that it makes no sense providing such a CD. because upgrade from
internet is much easier and more stable.

If all you want is to upgrade multiple computers without download
those packages multiple times, the best way IMO is to set up a cache
proxy server which caches all downloaded packages and all computers
can upgrade quickly.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Clay Weber

On Monday, August 30, 2010 11:11:41 pm Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Tomasz Dudzik <madsheytan@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Please implement a device action for KDE that will allow to easli run
> > upgrade to the next release of Kubuntu when user puts a CD to the drive.
>
> This is, generally impossible for ubuntu/debian based distributions.

not true, see below

> Because ubuntu is a huge distribution which is more than 60GigaBytes.
> the installation CD/DVD is only a tiny subset of the ubuntu
> distribution itself and every installation of kubuntu or ubuntu are
> "partial install".
>
> After you had done your flavor of tiny installation (kubuntu CD could
> be called a "flavor" of subset of the ubuntu), you almost always need
> to install additions from a network called "ubuntu repository".
>
> When upgrade, you get a CD which contains only a tiny subset of the
> whole ubuntu, and many packages cannot get upgraded from CD if you do
> not have internet access to ubuntu repository.
>
> If you do have direct internet access to ubuntu repository, it seems
> that it makes no sense providing such a CD. because upgrade from
> internet is much easier and more stable.
>

> If all you want is to upgrade multiple computers without download
> those packages multiple times, the best way IMO is to set up a cache
> proxy server which caches all downloaded packages and all computers
> can upgrade quickly.

You *can* upgrade using a cd, just not using the live disk. You need to get
the Alternate cd image and when inserted, it should prompt you for the
upgrade.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#AlternateUpgrade

this is due to the properties of an Ubuntu livecd, not anything else. The
Alternate disk iirc has actual packages to install, while the live disk
basically blasts an image of a system onto disk, and hence has few actual
packages on it

Clayv
Clay

Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Pan Shi Zhu

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:

> You *can* upgrade using a cd, just not using the live disk. You need to get
> the Alternate cd image and when inserted, it should prompt you for the
> upgrade.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#AlternateUpgrade

Hmm, I've begun trying cd upgrade since ubuntu 5.10=>6.06 and every
later versions, but it usually does not give me a completely usable
system.

It may take several pages to explain the whole things clearly, but
upgrade from cd generally does not have a good user experience for
newbies and should not be recommended unless you have a ubuntu-guru
beside you and ready to solve the problems.

I've been providing technical support on ubuntu-installation inside my
company for years. For now I realized it really is impossible to make
a decent cd-rom upgrade tool for ubuntu when you can only put 700M
inside a single CD. Build a cached http-proxy is a much better way to
go.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Serhiy Kachaniuk

31.08.2010 6:11, Pan Shi Zhu написав(ла):
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Tomasz Dudzik<madsheytan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please implement a device action for KDE that will allow to easli run upgrade
>> to the next release of Kubuntu when user puts a CD to the drive.
>>

> This is, generally impossible for ubuntu/debian based distributions.
>
> Because ubuntu is a huge distribution which is more than 60GigaBytes.
> the installation CD/DVD is only a tiny subset of the ubuntu
> distribution itself and every installation of kubuntu or ubuntu are
> "partial install".
>
> After you had done your flavor of tiny installation (kubuntu CD could
> be called a "flavor" of subset of the ubuntu), you almost always need
> to install additions from a network called "ubuntu repository".
>
> When upgrade, you get a CD which contains only a tiny subset of the
> whole ubuntu, and many packages cannot get upgraded from CD if you do
> not have internet access to ubuntu repository.
>
> If you do have direct internet access to ubuntu repository, it seems
> that it makes no sense providing such a CD. because upgrade from
> internet is much easier and more stable.
>

> If all you want is to upgrade multiple computers without download
> those packages multiple times, the best way IMO is to set up a cache
> proxy server which caches all downloaded packages and all computers
> can upgrade quickly.

AFAIK Ubuntu does offer this option when alternate CD is inserted.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Rohan Garg

Serhiy is right, when you put in a Ubuntu Alternate CD it automatically asks for a upgrade, but the same thing with a kubuntu alternate CD is not implemented.*
There are actually instructions for the alternate CD upgrade dialog on the Ubuntu Wiki :*https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD

This should really be fixed for 10.10*

RegardsRohan Garg

Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 02:24:58 am Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> > You *can* upgrade using a cd, just not using the live disk. You need to
> > get the Alternate cd image and when inserted, it should prompt you for
> > the upgrade.
> >
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#AlternateUpgrade
>
> Hmm, I've begun trying cd upgrade since ubuntu 5.10=>6.06 and every
> later versions, but it usually does not give me a completely usable
> system.

You're right that things installed from the repos will need to be upgraded on
their own later, but it is safe to upgrade the base system from a CD.

--
Mackenzie Morgan