-   -   question on menu in plasma-netbook (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/418954-question-menu-plasma-netbook.html)

Jonathan Jesse 08-27-2010 02:06 AM

question on menu in plasma-netbook

Quick question for the group. *Runing plasma-netbook (and it is finally stable for me yay) but the question comes form the menu that is located next to the Search and launch section of the task bar. *While I think it is nice being there I am finding it a bit frustrating that on certain applications I can no longer use the keyboard with alt to open up text files. *Example: *In Kate I can no longer do alt + f + q to quit or any of the other combinations. *I need to use the ctrl q shortcut to quit, alt + f + o does not open the window to open a file, I need to use ctrl+O.*

While it isnt a big deal, and will just take some getting used to, I am wondering why the change? *If anyone knows?
Thanks,
JJ

Serhiy Kachaniuk 08-27-2010 05:52 AM

question on menu in plasma-netbook

27.08.2010 5:06, Jonathan Jesse написав(ла):
> Quick question for the group. Runing plasma-netbook (and it is finally
> stable for me yay) but the question comes form the menu that is located
> next to the Search and launch section of the task bar. While I think it
> is nice being there I am finding it a bit frustrating that on certain
> applications I can no longer use the keyboard with alt to open up text
> files. Example: In Kate I can no longer do alt + f + q to quit or any
> of the other combinations. I need to use the ctrl q shortcut to quit,
> alt + f + o does not open the window to open a file, I need to use ctrl+O.
>
> While it isnt a big deal, and will just take some getting used to, I am
> wondering why the change? If anyone knows?

I haven't seen recent plasma-netbook, but from your description it seems
that it uses qdbusmenu for application menus and maybe it doesn't (yet)
support this shortcuts?

Jonathan Jesse 08-30-2010 01:08 AM

2010/8/27 Aurlien Gteau <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>

On 27/08/2010 04:06, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Quick question for the group. *Runing plasma-netbook (and it is finally

> stable for me yay) but the question comes form the menu that is located next

> to the Search and launch section of the task bar. *While I think it is nice

> being there I am finding it a bit frustrating that on certain applications I

> can no longer use the keyboard with alt to open up text files. *Example: *In

> Kate I can no longer do alt + f + q to quit or any of the other

> combinations. *I need to use the ctrl q shortcut to quit, alt + f + o does

> not open the window to open a file, I need to use ctrl+O.

> While it isnt a big deal, and will just take some getting used to, I am

> wondering why the change? *If anyone knows?

The new menubar uses dbusmenu-qt. Support for mnemonics (alt+f) has been

implemented recently. You need at least these versions:

- libqtgui4: 4.7.0~beta2-0ubuntu6

- libdbusmenu-qt2: 0.6.0-0ubuntu1

- plasma-widget-menubar: 0.1.11-0ubuntu1

I haven't tried it on netbook edition but I think it should work there

as well.

Aurlien

Good evening,As of an update tonight (9pm EST) with a*completely*updated Maverick system I am still having problems iwth the*mnemonics*
According to dkpkg -l I have:
libqtgu4 4:4.7.0-beta2-0ubuntu8libdusmenu-qt2 0.6.0-0ubuntu1plasma-widget-menubar: 0.1.11-0ubuntu1
Hope that helps but still no luck
JJ

Scott Kitterman 08-30-2010 03:58 AM

On Sunday, August 29, 2010 09:08:19 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> 2010/8/27 Aurlien Gteau <aurelien.gateau@canonical.com>
>
> > On 27/08/2010 04:06, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > > Quick question for the group. Runing plasma-netbook (and it is finally
> > > stable for me yay) but the question comes form the menu that is located
> >
> > next
> >
> > > to the Search and launch section of the task bar. While I think it is
> >
> > nice
> >
> > > being there I am finding it a bit frustrating that on certain
> >
> > applications I
> >
> > > can no longer use the keyboard with alt to open up text files. Example:
> > In
> >
> > > Kate I can no longer do alt + f + q to quit or any of the other
> > > combinations. I need to use the ctrl q shortcut to quit, alt + f + o
> >
> > does
> >
> > > not open the window to open a file, I need to use ctrl+O.
> > >
> > > While it isnt a big deal, and will just take some getting used to, I am
> > > wondering why the change? If anyone knows?
> >
> > The new menubar uses dbusmenu-qt. Support for mnemonics (alt+f) has been
> > implemented recently. You need at least these versions:
> >
> > - libqtgui4: 4.7.0~beta2-0ubuntu6
> > - libdbusmenu-qt2: 0.6.0-0ubuntu1
> > - plasma-widget-menubar: 0.1.11-0ubuntu1
> >
> > I haven't tried it on netbook edition but I think it should work there
> > as well.

> Good evening,
> As of an update tonight (9pm EST) with a completely updated Maverick system
> I am still having problems iwth the mnemonics
>
> According to dkpkg -l I have:
> libqtgu4 4:4.7.0-beta2-0ubuntu8
> libdusmenu-qt2 0.6.0-0ubuntu1
> plasma-widget-menubar: 0.1.11-0ubuntu1
>
> Hope that helps but still no luck
>
> JJ

Please file a bug on plasma-widget-menubar and make sure agateau and I are
subscribed to it.

Scott K

Jonathan Jesse 08-30-2010 05:19 PM

Reported bug: 626935:*https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plasma-widget-menubar/+bug/626935*and subscribed*