Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default bluedevil

We need to decide if we are shipping bluedevil or kbluetooth. I've
tried bluedevil and it seems to successfully send files, browse
devices and configure some bits. I got one crash and some of the
strings are unprofessional but I think that's part of the work in
progress which should be stabalised in the final release next month.

My preference is for bluedevil, upstream agrees from chatting at
Akademy.

Does anyone with more experience of bluetooth than I have an opinion?

(Must say I'm mystified why bluetooth UI developers continue to use
the systray as the primary user interface, files should be handled
through the file manager and config through system settings.)

Jonathan

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Alex Fiestas

Hi there, for those do not know me, I'm the current release manager of
BlueDevil.

On 08/20/2010 11:40 AM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> We need to decide if we are shipping bluedevil or kbluetooth. I've
> tried bluedevil and it seems to successfully send files, browse
> devices and configure some bits. I got one crash and some of the
> strings are unprofessional but I think that's part of the work in
> progress which should be stabalised in the final release next month.
In the next days, we'll send all the strings to native speakers so they
can fix them, and after it we'll start the translation process.
If you feel like it, report a bug and we'll change those strings.

> My preference is for bluedevil, upstream agrees from chatting at
> Akademy.

Yes, this is clearly the way to go, I will probably do a new release of
KBluetooth fixing some crashes, but that will be all.

> (Must say I'm mystified why bluetooth UI developers continue to use
> the systray as the primary user interface, files should be handled
> through the file manager and config through system settings.)
For the next version, the idea is to talk with usability people about
these stuff, and decide what is the best way to go.

Cya!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Rohan Garg

HiIve used bluedevil for a while and it works better than*kdebluetooth, browsing files on my device and sending and*receiving*files work 100% of the time.There was one crash wherein when you switched off the*Bluetooth*device bluedevil would crash, reported on b.k.o and seems its fixed in git.

So +1 from me.RegardsRohan Garg

Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Jonathan Riddell" <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>We need to decide if we are shipping bluedevil or kbluetooth. I've
>tried bluedevil and it seems to successfully send files, browse
>devices and configure some bits. I got one crash and some of the
>strings are unprofessional but I think that's part of the work in
>progress which should be stabalised in the final release next month.
>
>My preference is for bluedevil, upstream agrees from chatting at
>Akademy.
>
>Does anyone with more experience of bluetooth than I have an opinion?
>
>(Must say I'm mystified why bluetooth UI developers continue to use
>the systray as the primary user interface, files should be handled
>through the file manager and config through system settings.)

I didn't try bluedevil yet, but the odds it will be worse are low. As long as it kind of works and upstream is prepared to support us, I'd be inclined to favor it.

Scott K

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Jonathan Thomas

On Fri 20 Aug 2010 09:45:32 am Scott Kitterman wrote:

> "Jonathan Riddell" <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> >We need to decide if we are shipping bluedevil or kbluetooth. I've
> >tried bluedevil and it seems to successfully send files, browse
> >devices and configure some bits. I got one crash and some of the
> >strings are unprofessional but I think that's part of the work in
> >progress which should be stabalised in the final release next month.
> >
> >My preference is for bluedevil, upstream agrees from chatting at
> >Akademy.
> >
> >Does anyone with more experience of bluetooth than I have an opinion?
> >
> >(Must say I'm mystified why bluetooth UI developers continue to use
> >the systray as the primary user interface, files should be handled
> >through the file manager and config through system settings.)
> >
> I didn't try bluedevil yet, but the odds it will be worse are low. As long as it kind of works and upstream is prepared to support us, I'd be inclined to favor it.

+1

> Scott K

Jonathan

Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
"Roderick B. Greening"

+1 here as well. Upstream says to use it, then that's fine by me.

<jriddell@ubuntu.com>wrote:
> > We need to decide if we are shipping bluedevil or kbluetooth. I've
> > tried bluedevil and it seems to successfully send files, browse
> > devices and configure some bits. I got one crash and some of the
> > strings are unprofessional but I think that's part of the work in
> > progress which should be stabalised in the final release next month.
> >
> > My preference is for bluedevil, upstream agrees from chatting at
> > Akademy.
> >
> > Does anyone with more experience of bluetooth than I have an opinion?
> >
> > (Must say I'm mystified why bluetooth UI developers continue to use
> > the systray as the primary user interface, files should be handled
> > through the file manager and config through system settings.)
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > --
_______________________________________
Roderick B. Greening, B.Sc.