Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default PPA access granted for ppa ubuntu-font-beta-testing

Members of the ~kubuntu-users team on launchpad can now test out the
Ubuntu Font which is currently in beta testing. Anyone can join this team.

We are considering setting this as the default screen font in 10.10,
opinions welcome but please include a rationale with your opinion,
artwork is very easy to criticise but is hard to criticise well.

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from "Jorge O. Castro" <noreply@launchpad.net> -----

Launchpad: access to a private archive
--------------------------------------

Jorge O. Castro has granted you access to a private software archive
"ppa" (ppa:ubuntu-font-beta-testing/ppa), which is hosted by Launchpad
and has the following description:

Instructions and Rationale: http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/the-
ubuntu-font/

Font testing tool and bug submission:
http://fonttest.design.canonical.com/

We've started to add non-Latin character languages to help test the
font, please see here: http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/native-
readers-extending-the-beta/

"View" for the proper link. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Rohan Garg

HiI would just like to add that we should also enable Auto hinting by default since it makes these fonts look even better.
Screenshot :*http://i.imgur.com/i1UnA.png

In order to enable autohinting just :*sudo ln -sf /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-autohint.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/

and restart X.

Regards

Rohan Garg

Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, August 02, 2010 10:23:15 am Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> We are considering setting this as the default screen font in 10.10,
> opinions welcome but please include a rationale with your opinion,
> artwork is very easy to criticise but is hard to criticise well.

I would put this slightly differently. Once the font is released under open
licensing terms we will consider it, so testing and feedback that leads to
improvements is valuable.

I have a fairly strong opinion that this should not be considered by Kubuntu
for inclusion before that.

Scott K

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 03:23:15PM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Members of the ~kubuntu-users team on launchpad can now test out the
> Ubuntu Font which is currently in beta testing. Anyone can join this team.

This has now been closed due to lack of feedback. The font will be
released under a Free licence soon.

Jonathan