-   -   possible problem w/ autodetect netbook vs regular (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/402988-possible-problem-w-autodetect-netbook-vs-regular.html)

Jonathan Jesse 07-23-2010 12:48 AM

possible problem w/ autodetect netbook vs regular

Good evening,

In my testing I've been impressed w/ how Kubuntu Maverick is now autodetecting whether or not to present the plasma-netbook or plasma-desktop, virtual machines.* I am testing Maverick on both VM Workstation and VirtualBox with a Windows 7 host machine.* Both of my installs start up in 800x600 until I have install either vmware-tools or vboxadditions.* Since I'm at 800x600, I receive plasma-netbook and the machines look like my netbook.

Any ideas on this?

I can easily run plasma-desktop and/or change the start up to launch plasma-desktop instead, however I am then presented with a problem where the top menu portion disappears.* Does this make sense?

Thanks,

JJ

Mackenzie Morgan 07-23-2010 02:11 PM

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> In my testing I've been impressed w/ how Kubuntu Maverick is now
> autodetecting whether or not to present the plasma-netbook or
> plasma-desktop, virtual machines.* I am testing Maverick on both VM
> Workstation and VirtualBox with a Windows 7 host machine.* Both of my
> installs start up in 800x600 until I have install either vmware-tools or
> vboxadditions.* Since I'm at 800x600, I receive plasma-netbook and the
> machines look like my netbook.
> Any ideas on this?

It's going just by resolution. I already talked to Jonathan Riddell
about this (hit it a few weeks ago), and he said adding a check for
"laptop-detect" would be needed.

Figuring how to detect my new netbook (1366x768) is going to be *fun* too.

> I can easily run plasma-desktop and/or change the start up to launch
> plasma-desktop instead, however I am then presented with a problem where the
> top menu portion disappears.* Does this make sense?

As opposed to using System Settings?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo