FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Jonathan Riddell
 
Default live CD boot process

Ubuntu Desktop CDs from Lucid don't offer a CD boot menu but instead
boot into X then show a dialogue (using Ubiquity) which lets you set
the language and asks if you want to boot into a desktop or just run
the installer. This has accessibility problems so the CD boot menu
displays a not very meaningful icon and if you press any key you get
back to your traditional CD boot menu.

Kubuntu didn't follow the above process for Lucid although our
Ubiquity frontend does have the code for it. The trouble with not
following Ubuntu Desktop is that user support becomes more
problematic, someone used to installing Ubuntu Desktop could have
problems guiding someone through the Kubuntu install process over IRC
or the like if the processes differ.

I spoke with Celeste about this at Akademy and she came up with a
compromise idea. Keep the CD boot menu but change "Try kubuntu
without installing" and "Install kubuntu" to..

"Start Kubuntu" with a space below that to show that the other options
(testing CD and memory) are of secondary importance. No language
selection needed at the CD boot menu, it is now obvious what to do
even if you don't read English you can understand "Kubuntu".
"Start Kubuntu" leads to ubiquity dialogue offering to install or to
start live session and select language.

This keeps us close to the Ubuntu Desktop process without taking away
useful options.

Also the black text should be changed to grey to fit in with the blue
background colour.

Any thoughts on that?

Jonathan


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Roman Shtylman
 
Default live CD boot process

I think we should just do what ubuntu does. Like Jonathan said, we
already have the support in ubiquity for this and the only reason we
don't already do what Ubuntu does is because for Lucid it was already
too late in the cycle to make the boot screen change. Realistically,
we don't need to be bothering the user with any choices until the
system has booted (assuming we can boot quickly). The system should
start without any user intervention imho.

~Roman

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Ubuntu Desktop CDs from Lucid don't offer a CD boot menu but instead
> boot into X then show a dialogue (using Ubiquity) which lets you set
> the language and asks if you want to boot into a desktop or just run
> the installer. *This has accessibility problems so the CD boot menu
> displays a not very meaningful icon and if you press any key you get
> back to your traditional CD boot menu.
>
> Kubuntu didn't follow the above process for Lucid although our
> Ubiquity frontend does have the code for it. *The trouble with not
> following Ubuntu Desktop is that user support becomes more
> problematic, someone used to installing Ubuntu Desktop could have
> problems guiding someone through the Kubuntu install process over IRC
> or the like if the processes differ.
>
> I spoke with Celeste about this at Akademy and she came up with a
> compromise idea. *Keep the CD boot menu but change "Try kubuntu
> without installing" and "Install kubuntu" to..
>
> "Start Kubuntu" with a space below that to show that the other options
> (testing CD and memory) are of secondary importance. *No language
> selection needed at the CD boot menu, it is now obvious what to do
> even if you don't read English you can understand "Kubuntu".
> "Start Kubuntu" leads to ubiquity dialogue offering to install or to
> start live session and select language.
>
> This keeps us close to the Ubuntu Desktop process without taking away
> useful options.
>
> Also the black text should be changed to grey to fit in with the blue
> background colour.
>
> Any thoughts on that?
>
> Jonathan
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-devel mailing list
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Jonathan Jesse
 
Default live CD boot process

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Roman Shtylman <shtylman@gmail.com> wrote:

I think we should just do what ubuntu does. Like Jonathan said, we

already have the support in ubiquity for this and the only reason we

don't already do what Ubuntu does is because for Lucid it was already

too late in the cycle to make the boot screen change. Realistically,

we don't need to be bothering the user with any choices until the

system has booted (assuming we can boot quickly). The system should

start without any user intervention imho.



~Roman



On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>

> Ubuntu Desktop CDs from Lucid don't offer a CD boot menu but instead

> boot into X then show a dialogue (using Ubiquity) which lets you set

> the language and asks if you want to boot into a desktop or just run

> the installer. *This has accessibility problems so the CD boot menu

> displays a not very meaningful icon and if you press any key you get

> back to your traditional CD boot menu.

>

> Kubuntu didn't follow the above process for Lucid although our

> Ubiquity frontend does have the code for it. *The trouble with not

> following Ubuntu Desktop is that user support becomes more

> problematic, someone used to installing Ubuntu Desktop could have

> problems guiding someone through the Kubuntu install process over IRC

> or the like if the processes differ.

>

> I spoke with Celeste about this at Akademy and she came up with a

> compromise idea. *Keep the CD boot menu but change "Try kubuntu

> without installing" and "Install kubuntu" to..

>

> "Start Kubuntu" with a space below that to show that the other options

> (testing CD and memory) are of secondary importance. *No language

> selection needed at the CD boot menu, it is now obvious what to do

> even if you don't read English you can understand "Kubuntu".

> "Start Kubuntu" leads to ubiquity dialogue offering to install or to

> start live session and select language.

>

> This keeps us close to the Ubuntu Desktop process without taking away

> useful options.

>

> Also the black text should be changed to grey to fit in with the blue

> background colour.

>

> Any thoughts on that?

>

> Jonathan

>

>

> --

> kubuntu-devel mailing list

> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

>



--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

At one point in the Maverick cycle due to this change I was unable to run Ubuntu in a virtual machine environment due to it requiring a 3D card right away, haven't tried Ubuntu lately so don't know if the problem still exists.* Would be cautious going forward if that problem still exists.


If you make this change please make sure it is done in time to update any documentation that refers to the livecd and how it functions.* Also the icon does need to be changed for accessibliity as I had no idea what is was for

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Mackenzie Morgan
 
Default live CD boot process

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you make this change please make sure it is done in time to update any
> documentation that refers to the livecd and how it functions.* Also the icon
> does need to be changed for accessibliity as I had no idea what is was for

Icon?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
apt-get moo

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Yuval Levy
 
Default live CD boot process

On July 20, 2010 12:36:34 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> At one point in the Maverick cycle due to this change I was unable to run
> Ubuntu in a virtual machine environment due to it requiring a 3D card right
> away, haven't tried Ubuntu lately so don't know if the problem still
> exists. Would be cautious going forward if that problem still exists.

The 10.4 Kubuntu CD hangs on a pretty standard nettop (Intel Atom mobo with a
low end Radeon HD PCI video card). I had not found another way to install it
other than removing the video card.


> If you make this change please make sure it is done in time to update any
> documentation that refers to the livecd and how it functions.

Make sure the decision is a conscious and intentional one in all of its
consequences. If some hardware configurations or groups of users are being
left behind, spare them the frustration of finding it out late in the
download/burn/install process.

Yuv
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org