-   -   Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/400979-kaffeine-1-0-kubuntu.html)

Jonathan Riddell 07-18-2010 08:24 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

Hi

We're currently looking at whether Kaffeine 1.0 is suitable for
inclusion in Kubuntu by default. I have a few issues and wonder if
you could comment.

Firstly, it doesn't use Phonon. This means (at least with Pulseaudio
which most distros use now) that it doesn't follow the settings for
audio output, so it doesn't work with my USB headphones. Is there any
way to fix that? (It also means it will continue to use xine should
distros ever start to use another Phonon backend.)

Videos don't currently show when they start playing, I have to switch
to the playlist tab and back to the playback tab.

Finally, my pet dislike, a pointless systray icon, we can turn it off
with a config option I hope but I'd like to hear the justification.
It's also using the old KSystemTrayIcon class I see, that probably
means Aurelien Gateau will be taking an axe to it to replace it with
KStatusNotifierItem at some point.

Jonathan

Jonathan Riddell 07-18-2010 09:03 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:24:04PM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Firstly, it doesn't use Phonon. This means (at least with Pulseaudio
> which most distros use now) that it doesn't follow the settings for
> audio output, so it doesn't work with my USB headphones.

I'm told this is a failing with Pulseaudio, the default sink isn't
(re)set for all apps once a usb audio device is inserted. Pulseaudio
are currently discussing adding this. However at the moment it's a
definite win for Phonon.

Jonathan

Ofir Klinger 07-18-2010 09:08 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

I, personally, think that Kaffeine can't be used as a default player.Kaffeine subtitle support isn't*intuitive*and requires reading the FAQ on the kaffeine website.Good subtitle support is very important, especially for non-English speakers.

I think that SMPlayer should be used as the default Video Player. I think it is the best video player I ever used.It is easy to use, and at the same time enables advanced features like live video-audio or audio-subtitles sync.

It supports all the media types Mplayer supports, which is a lot. And it is written in Qt4!

Rohan Garg 07-19-2010 12:23 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

-1 for*Kaffeine since it doesnt start playing videos like*Jonathan*said,most people would expect the video to start playing instantly and would not fiddle around looking for answers.

On the other hand dragon player is no better with no default subtitle support,*unfortunately*as i can see, smplayer brings alot of stuff on to the CD when added as the default video player ( After this operation, 25.9MB of additional disk space will be used. ) which is not good as well.

But thats just my 2 cents ;)

RegardsRohan Garg

Myriam Schweingruber 07-19-2010 03:53 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:23, Rohan Garg <rohangarg@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> -1 for*Kaffeine since it doesnt start playing videos like*Jonathan*said,most
> people would expect the video to start playing instantly and would not
> fiddle around looking for answers.
> On the other hand dragon player is no better with no default subtitle
> support,*unfortunately*as i can see, smplayer brings alot of stuff on to the
> CD when added as the default video player ( After this operation, 25.9MB of
> additional disk space will be used. ) which is not good as well.
> But thats just my 2 cents ;)

Is VLC an alternative? I don't know the exact size of all the needed
packages, but smplayer seems to need much more space. And it is Qt4 as
well.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org

Jonathan Riddell 07-19-2010 03:59 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:53:07PM +0200, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:23, Rohan Garg <rohangarg@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > -1 for??Kaffeine since it doesnt start playing videos like??Jonathan??said,most
> > people would expect the video to start playing instantly and would not
> > fiddle around looking for answers.
> > On the other hand dragon player is no better with no default subtitle
> > support,??unfortunately??as i can see, smplayer brings alot of stuff on to the
> > CD when added as the default video player ( After this operation, 25.9MB of
> > additional disk space will be used. ) which is not good as well.
> > But thats just my 2 cents ;)
>
> Is VLC an alternative? I don't know the exact size of all the needed
> packages, but smplayer seems to need much more space. And it is Qt4 as
> well.

smplayer almost certainly not, mplayer has licencing isues which
prevent it being on the CD.

VLC would be concievable but would need someone to review it for
licencing issues and get it and all the build-deps through MIR. It
has a pretty ugly UI though. "Advanced Open File" yuck.

Jonathan

Markus Slopianka 07-20-2010 11:05 PM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

On Monday 19 July 2010 17:59:04 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> VLC would be concievable but would need someone to review it for
> licencing issues and get it and all the build-deps through MIR. It
> has a pretty ugly UI though. "Advanced Open File" yuck.

VLC can be compiled without MPEG and alike codecs. openSUSE's "Playground"
repo proves it.
There is also a Phonon back-end which uses VLC's libraries. According to a
post on Planet KDE a while ago, the Phonon VLC back-end is now the preferred
one.
If you follow that route, VLC libraries will be shipped with Kubuntu anyway.
You may just as well ship VLC's GUI (which I like, btw).

Markus

Tres Finocchiaro 07-21-2010 01:42 AM

Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

+1

I love VLC, but the interface is rough.* There's some decent skins (even supports Winamp 2.x skins) but I haven't had great luck with any of them, usability was always worse with a 3rd party skin (I've only tried about 6 skins).

-Tres