Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Reinhard Tartler

Default Kaffeine 1.0 and Kubuntu

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 22:47:05 (CEST), Valter Mura wrote:

>> AFAIUI, vlc loads libavcodec.so at runtime via
>> /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libavcodec_plugin.so, similar to xine which
>> kubuntu currently uses. The major difference is that for xine, the
>> 'avcodec' plugin is in the package 'libxine1-ffmpeg', which is
>> blacklisted on the CDs as well. I'm pretty sure that something similar
>> could be arranged for vlc as well. We haven't done that yet because
>> there is (was) no technical necessity for this.
>>
>> All in all, this all sounds like a realistically solvable problem to me.
>
> so, in this, case, why don't consider the use of "kplayer"? It's based on
> mplayer and has also subtitle functionalities.

mplayer is dynamically linked against libavcodec, and cannot be
configured to load it at runtime. AFAIUI, this rules out all mplayer
based solutions.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Markus Slopianka

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 23:04:20 Ofir Klinger wrote:
> SMPlayer is also much more simple to use then VLC

Anything that uses Ctrl-X (usually the shortcut for "cut text") to quit is
pretty crappy to use.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 AM
d g

I've gotten a lot of value out of both kaffeine and smplayer in the past, among many others...
But vlc currently has the best blend of performance, configurability and features - to be honest my main issue with the GUI is simply the playlist handling (would be lovely to have it as a frame in the window) - and apart from this it's near-perfect ....
*