Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Default little list of proposal for maverick from kubuntu italian users

Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like see in Maverick. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?

Thanks, regards.

1) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-filesharing" is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin. The bug is filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015, #209873)

2) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of KDE, but at the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:

** ** Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
** ** Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
** ** Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
** ** Kubuntu logo in kdm;

3) artwork for folder icons in the home directory: The oxygen icons "music","video", "documents" and "my pictures" exists and are in the oxygen-icons package. Kubuntu doesn't use them by default. It's a good idea to use them for a more positive user experience. Those icons are useful to identify quickly the contents of the home directory.

4) Dragon player is only a video player and it lacks many feautures like show subtitle. Kaffeine is a multimedia player, it has more important features, for example dvb tv tuner. If it will be complete for lucid, it's important to include it by default.
And why not the major Open Source media player in the World? I mean....VLC. We know it's in Universe but there's nothing you can do? About this, the political of Kubuntu is sometimes a bit strange, Firefox is not written in Qt so " you can't add " it in the CD, VLC is in Qt but it's in Universe, KPackageKit is in Qt but is not ready (it's never ready, it's not usable and has always many bugs) but you added in the CD when synaptic is always the best for now (but it's in GTK), knetworkmanager is in Qt but it lacks many feauture.

5) in dolphin, nepomuk's search bar is too large. A small bar is nice.

6) video preview in dolphin by default

7) add desktop icon (link) in dolphin resources bar

8) Many windows have strings cutted, so more care on which dimension windows are showed in the default installation

9) same above but for the notifications pop up.

10) The window dialog where you have to insert your password to run applications with root privilege, is always showed minimized in the task bar, instead of beeing showed in first floor

11) An empty plasma folderview doesn't make sense. It shows now Desktop folder, but it's empty, if it shows the home folder maybe my mother can understand the purpose of plasma foldeview.
Please consider the purpose of folder view. For istance, it can show applications link in Desktop folder or the home directory. But an empty folder view doesn't mean anything, more, if you don't understand how to populate it....remain just a beauty square in your desktop.

12) Video preview in dolphin by default, please use ffmpegthumbs, it's in kdemultimedia now and it's in Main.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Mandla Mbuli

+1

I know this should not be here and I am guessing someone will post sayin that.

I am a Kubuntu user from South Africa and I would also like to see
most if not all the wishes mentioned. I would also like some sort of
mentorship program. I saw it in passing on Arch linux. I would also
like a better brain storm. The current one feels like your idea will
never get implemented which why this was posted here probably. I think
having the developers come up with ideas or say what they are working
on currentl

Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:13:06 am maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> 2) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro have. A
> not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of KDE, but at
> the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
>
> * Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
> * Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
> * Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
> * Kubuntu logo in kdm;

Don't know about the rest, but I can tell you all of these have been rejected
many times. Being true to upstream is a Kubuntu goal. Though the kdm in
Lucid is actually Kubuntu-specific. Upstream didn't have one at all, and Roman
(I think?) made it. It's been sent upstream (of course), and should be in KDE
SC 4.5.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Harald Sitter

Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2010, 17:56:13 schrieb Mackenzie Morgan:
> On Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:13:06 am maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> > 2) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro have.
> > A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of KDE, but
> > at
> >
> > the same time a brand for Kubuntu. Only simple work:
> > * Kubuntu-Icon for kickoff;
> > * Kubuntu logo in KDE Splash;
> > * Kubuntu Wallpaper branded with Kubuntu logo.
> > * Kubuntu logo in kdm;
>
> Don't know about the rest, but I can tell you all of these have been
> rejected many times. Being true to upstream is a Kubuntu goal. Though
> the kdm in Lucid is actually Kubuntu-specific. Upstream didn't have one
> at all, and Roman (I think?) made it. It's been sent upstream (of
> course), and should be in KDE SC 4.5.

Right, the thing is that KDM just disturbed our's and upstream's login
experience a bit (it looked horrible), so that is the reason for that.

We also have discussed this numerous times and always reached the same
conclusion. Let me just highlight some of the key points behind *not* having
custom branding:
* KDE does the work, so KDE deserves most of the credit, and we are not
considering Menu -> Help -> About enough of this, in fact that the KDE brand
is dominant within Kubuntu is simply because KDE's software is the dominant
visible work product.
* By incompletely swapping the brand it will probably create rising confusion
about what Kubuntu is and what this KDE is, that is mentioned here and there.
* We do generally like upstream's artwork, in fact I would go as far as
saying that we love it, and since our color profile overlaps a lot with KDE's
(for obvious reasons ), there is not that could be done regarding
customizing existing artwork.

Despite those things it is not anyway as simple as "adding our logo", because
simply doing that will lead to artwork that looks completely off. One ought to
carefully integrate our logo into the general artwork's colors and forms. We
have seen how difficult this is with creating a custom launcher icon
(available for those that desire a Kubutu-branded starter icon in the panel).

I do not claim this to be a complete list of all the reasons discussed in the
past, but it sure is one of the more important ones.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Harald Sitter

Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2010, 12:13:06 schrieb maggsimo@gmail.com:
> Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from Ubuntu-it
> forum and we would like share to you what we would like see in Maverick.
> This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
>
> Thanks, regards.

Thank you so very much. You cannot imagine how much appreciate this. We, that
is the developers, at times forget about the small things while hunting after
the big issues, also completely forgetting that it is the small stuff things
that make a truely great operating system. Getting a reminder every once in a
while is just wonderful

> 1) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
> "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-filesharing"
> is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin. The bug is
> filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015, #209873)

I think the tab in Dolphin should not be shown at all if knetwork-filesharing
is not installed? :/
In either case, this is not settled by adding that package to the CD, since
you would still need to install either Samba or NFS, so we would just be
moving the problem along.
This whole difficulty in sharing is a long-standing issue that we wanted to
work on for a long time, but somehow we never got to it. I am not really sure
what to do here. Ideas anyone?

> 3) artwork for folder icons in the home directory: The oxygen icons
> "music","video", "documents" and "my pictures" exists and are in the
> oxygen- icons package. Kubuntu doesn't use them by default. It's a good
> idea to use them for a more positive user experience. Those icons are
> useful to identify quickly the contents of the home directory.

I really think this should be done in the KDE libraries.

> 4) Dragon player is only a video player and it lacks many feautures like
> show subtitle. Kaffeine is a multimedia player, it has more important
> features, for example dvb tv tuner. If it will be complete for lucid, it's
> important to include it by default.
> And why not the major Open Source media player in the World? I mean....VLC.
> We know it's in Universe but there's nothing you can do? About this, the
> political of Kubuntu is sometimes a bit strange, Firefox is not written in
> Qt so " you can't add " it in the CD, VLC is in Qt but it's in Universe,
> KPackageKit is in Qt but is not ready (it's never ready, it's not usable
> and has always many bugs) but you added in the CD when synaptic is always
> the best for now (but it's in GTK), knetworkmanager is in Qt but it lacks
> many feauture.

We really cannot add Firefox (well, not without headache anyway) - a CD is
only so large and fitting an application in that is basically coming from a
completely different ecosystem is a rather expensive task. Same applies for
synaptic (which is IMHO from a usability POV just as bad, if not worse) and
the network applet (not to mention that the latter would not integrate into
the system and for example use gnome-keyring even though we have kwallet
already).

Now as for switching to VLC - rumour has it that at some point we will get VLC
support for Phonon (i.e. use VLC as backend for phonon), which will then be
preferred choice of backend. At least at this point we will have to make a
decision on this. Because this backend will require a set of basic components
of VLC (not the player itself though!). Question is if we want to go to the
length of introducing VLC as default video player or not. And it is not just a
question of do we want to, there are legal implications that ought to be
reviewed carefully too.

In general I do not think this will see change for 10.10, but from what I have
heared about phonon-vlc it will not be that far in the future.

> 5) in dolphin, nepomuk's search bar is too large. A small bar is nice.

Yeah, it looks silly. It should however be reported to the Dolphin developers
via http://bugs.kde.org

> 6) video preview in dolphin by default

From what I know this is a bit of a difficult topic for 2 reasons.
1) the existing video preview "plugins" are stupid.
2) the existing video preview "plugins" are ugly.

Well, I suppose that is not going to be enough of an explanation
As far as I know, each of the available plugins does not manage to limit
itself to sensible default sizes. So if a folder happens to contain a 50 GiB
video file then the plugins, stupid as they are will try to get a preview of
it. And from what I know getting a preview is not like open-the-file-play-30-
seconds-get-snapshot, but at least one of the available ones will indeed play
the whole video. Another case to consider here is - say the file is 50 GiB not
because of playback length, but overall resolution. Playing 30 seconds of a
super high resolution video is going to eat your system at any rate.
There is the problem that we cannot (and do not want to) distribute non-free
codecs. Again, at least one of the available plugins (did) fail to correctly
respond to missing playback capabilities and got stuck in an endless loop.
Additionally they all bypass KDE's multimedia abstraction which makes them
super eww.

Personally I do not think we should go there. I do understand the desire for
such a capability, but I do not think that it justifies introducing possibly
buggy features. And if one of those plugins runs wild, it will take Dolphin
and possibly the whole system with them.

Here is what I would be doing: file a bug report that suggests to make a
preview plugin that works based on Phonon and not a specific backend
application. The reason for this is that we do have control over what gets
used as backend and at the same time will not have to distribute different
multimedia engines on the CD. As mentioned above -> CD space is rare and say
VLC and mplayer are rather fat beasts, so I do not want to end up with both of
them on the CD, just because someone thought it might be a good idea to bind a
preview system to mplayer.

> 7) add desktop icon (link) in dolphin resources bar

Can you elaborate this a bit? The Desktop folder by default will be in your
home along with the folders mentioned in 3), as far as I know it even gets an
icon already.

> 8) Many windows have strings cutted, so more care on which dimension
> windows are showed in the default installation

Changing the default dimenions will only work around the issue here. Cut-off
strings are perfectly preventable using proper user interface settings in the
source code. Such things should be filed as bugs, the default dimension will
then be dictated by the minimum amount of space required to present every item
properly (i.e. not cut-off).

> 9) same above but for the notifications pop up.

I think there is a bug about this filed and this ought to be fixed for KDE
4.5, not sure though.

> 10) The window dialog where you have to insert your password to run
> applications with root privilege, is always showed minimized in the task
> bar, instead of beeing showed in first floor

Always should not be the case. But first I think we need to clearify what you
are talking about. Is it the simplicit dialog that asks you to enter your
password so that applicaton foobar can be run or is it the (a bit) more busy
dialog that asks you to enter your password to carry out a particular action.
Former would be the one you see when running KSystemLog, latter is the one you
see when doing stuff with KPackgeKit.

Generally speaking there is a system called focus-stealing-prevention which,
well, prevents other windows to steal the focus of the current one. This is a
very important functionality with regards to password dialogs, since if a
window steals focus and you typed to swiftly your password might end up in a
chat room or similar. Hence this focus stealing tries to be smart and only
allows this in very specific circumstances in the default setup. As far as I
know this should not be always though.

> 11) An empty plasma folderview doesn't make sense. It shows now Desktop
> folder, but it's empty, if it shows the home folder maybe my mother can
> understand the purpose of plasma foldeview.
> Please consider the purpose of folder view. For istance, it can show
> applications link in Desktop folder or the home directory. But an empty
> folder view doesn't mean anything, more, if you don't understand how to
> populate it....remain just a beauty square in your desktop.

Yep, we really need to do something about this :/

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer

Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Sunday 27 June 2010 09:07:04 Harald Sitter wrote:
> Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2010, 12:13:06 schrieb maggsimo@gmail.com:
> > Hi Kubuntu Developers, we are a group of Kubuntu Users come from
> > Ubuntu-it forum and we would like share to you what we would like see in
> > Maverick. This is a little list of proposals. What do you think about?
> >
> > Thanks, regards.
>
> Thank you so very much. You cannot imagine how much appreciate this. We,
> that is the developers, at times forget about the small things while
> hunting after the big issues, also completely forgetting that it is the
> small stuff things that make a truely great operating system. Getting a
> reminder every once in a while is just wonderful
>
> > 1) Samba and share folder: In Dolphin, in a folder's menu, the option
> > "Share folder" doesn't work because the package "kdenetwork-filesharing"
> > is not installed. It's necessary to share folders via Dolpin. The bug is
> > filed in launchpad but it's not yet fixed (LP bug #402015, #209873)
>
> I think the tab in Dolphin should not be shown at all if
> knetwork-filesharing is not installed? :/
> In either case, this is not settled by adding that package to the CD, since
> you would still need to install either Samba or NFS, so we would just be
> moving the problem along.
> This whole difficulty in sharing is a long-standing issue that we wanted to
> work on for a long time, but somehow we never got to it. I am not really
> sure what to do here. Ideas anyone?

Would it be possible to - when the tab is first activated - run the "Other
packages needs to be installed dialog" (don't know what it's called but some
application such as Amarok uses it for codecs etc.
A more simple approach would to show a short explanation pointing to a wiki
page that explains how Samba and knetwork-filesharing is installed. Otherwise
many people wouldn't even know that the possibility is there.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Giuseppe Pennisi

In data domenica 27 giugno 2010 08:21:15, Harald Sitter ha scritto:
> Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2010, 17:56:13 schrieb Mackenzie Morgan:
> > On Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:13:06 am maggsimo@gmail.com wrote:
> > > 2) artwork: We are asking for artwork in Kubuntu like other distro
> > > have. A not invasive artwork, in according with the default style of
> > > KDE, but at

[...cut...]
> > Don't know about the rest, but I can tell you all of these have been
> > rejected many times. Being true to upstream is a Kubuntu goal. Though
> > the kdm in Lucid is actually Kubuntu-specific. Upstream didn't have one
> > at all, and Roman (I think?) made it. It's been sent upstream (of
> > course), and should be in KDE SC 4.5.
>
> Right, the thing is that KDM just disturbed our's and upstream's login
> experience a bit (it looked horrible), so that is the reason for that.
>
> We also have discussed this numerous times and always reached the same
> conclusion. Let me just highlight some of the key points behind *not*
> having custom branding:
> * KDE does the work, so KDE deserves most of the credit, and we are not
> considering Menu -> Help -> About enough of this, in fact that the KDE
> brand is dominant within Kubuntu is simply because KDE's software is the
> dominant visible work product.
> * By incompletely swapping the brand it will probably create rising
> confusion about what Kubuntu is and what this KDE is, that is mentioned
> here and there. * We do generally like upstream's artwork, in fact I would
> go as far as saying that we love it, and since our color profile overlaps
> a lot with KDE's (for obvious reasons ), there is not that could be done
> regarding customizing existing artwork.
>
> Despite those things it is not anyway as simple as "adding our logo",
> because simply doing that will lead to artwork that looks completely off.
> One ought to carefully integrate our logo into the general artwork's
> colors and forms. We have seen how difficult this is with creating a
> custom launcher icon (available for those that desire a Kubutu-branded
> starter icon in the panel).
>
> I do not claim this to be a complete list of all the reasons discussed in
> the past, but it sure is one of the more important ones.

Hi, I'm one of the Kubuntu User that have writing the email with Simone.
I'm sorry for my poor english, I hope you can understand my opinion.
About artwork I understand your reasons and I'm happy to use the default KDE
artwork, Nuno and Co. do a great work.
But the only thing meaningless (IMHO) is the incoherence between the
Playmouth theme and KDMKDE theme.
I think that see two different themes (Playmout -> KDM) during the boot
procedure is bad and gives an idea of approximation and unprofessional.
If Kubuntu (and I agree) wants have the same KDE artwork, can be a good idea
to use the same theme (or color scheme) of KDM/KDE also for Playmouth.
I think with this little trick we can make a look very rock and coherent.

Giuseppe

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Simone Maggiani

sorry for my bad english.....

>I think the tab in Dolphin should not be shown at all if knetwork-filesharing
>is not installed? :/
>In either case, this is not settled by adding that package to the CD, since
>you would still need to install either Samba or NFS, so we would just be
>moving the problem along.
>This whole difficulty in sharing is a long-standing issue that we wanted to
>work on for a long time, but somehow we never got to it. I am not really sure
>what to do here. Ideas anyone?

i don't have network-filesharing, but i see the label in dolphin.
I have clicked it, but any action start.
I search problem solution with google and i find that the problem is that
packagenetwork-sharing is absent.

if package is installed, now i moving the problem along, but i have a gui that
write Samba and nfs are absent.
So now, user have a problem (nfs and samba not installed), but know it.
whitout network-sharing, they have a problem but any gui write an explication
of it

>> 3) artwork for folder icons in the home directory: The oxygen icons
>> "music","video", "documents" and "my pictures" exists and are in the
>> oxygen- icons package. Kubuntu doesn't use them by default. It's a good
>> idea to use them for a more positive user experience. Those icons are
>> useful to identify quickly the contents of the home directory.

>I really think this should be done in the KDE libraries.

kubuntu team can't do anything for this problem?

>> 7) add desktop icon (link) in dolphin resources bar

>Can you elaborate this a bit? The Desktop folder by default will be in your
>home along with the folders mentioned in 3), as far as I know it even gets an
>icon already.

uhm, ok

>> 10) The window dialog where you have to insert your password to run
>> applications with root privilege, is always showed minimized in the task
>> bar, instead of beeing showed in first floor

>Always should not be the case. But first I think we need to clearify what you
>are talking about. Is it the simplicit dialog that asks you to enter your
>password so that applicaton foobar can be run or is it the (a bit) more busy
>dialog that asks you to enter your password to carry out a particular action.
>Former would be the one you see when running KSystemLog, latter is the one
> you see when doing stuff with KPackgeKit.

problem is with kpackagekit.

when it require root privilege, the the dialog window is behind the
kpackagekit windows and we can't see it.
Only the plasma-bar, in the bottom, notify that a new window is open

thanks, regards

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Sebastian Kügler

On Sunday 27 June 2010 09:07:04 Harald Sitter wrote:
> > 8) Many windows have strings cutted, so more care on which dimension
> > windows are showed in the default installation
>
> Changing the default dimenions will only work around the issue here.
> Cut-off strings are perfectly preventable using proper user interface
> settings in the source code. Such things should be filed as bugs, the
> default dimension will then be dictated by the minimum amount of space
> required to present every item properly (i.e. not cut-off).

That's only partly true, unfortunately.

You can tell a QLable (for example) to become as big as the text it holds, but
in order to prevent it from growing too big (stealing the space from a more
important widget or overflowing the screen's dimensions), you should also
limit its size. This is a problem somewhere between translation and UI design,
and cannot be solved completely, only made less severe by translators avoiding
long translations (which is of course also not possible).

Verdict: file individual bugs where this happens, include a screenshot and the
language used
--
sebas

Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:44:32 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> You can tell a QLable (for example) to become as big as the text it holds,
> but in order to prevent it from growing too big (stealing the space from a
> more important widget or overflowing the screen's dimensions), you should
> also limit its size. This is a problem somewhere between translation and
> UI design, and cannot be solved completely, only made less severe by
> translators avoiding long translations (which is of course also not
> possible).

Text wrap could help too. Is there a reason button text must only be a single
line?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo